Rumour Jack Steven Rumour

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the reported reason of "mental health issues" so unbelieveable?

Not just in this instance, but others too, why does everyone assume it's a cover-up for something else (usually assumed to be drug issues)?
So people can be nasty to someone.

That simple.

Why is it anyone's business if he wants to have a f**.Glen Archer smoked all throughout his career.Are you saying players should self report to the club doctor if they have a cigarette?
Didn’t know he did that.

Malcolm Blight smoked at three quarter time.

So people can be nasty to someone.

That simple.

I just don't see why it's so far outside of the realms of possibility to some to take it at face value, and afford the bloke the support and space he needs to get himself back to health. Even if it is something more "sinister", like a drug issue, I don't see why that needs to be treated negatively or like he's a bad bloke.

We're supposedly a more progressive, accepting society than we once were on things like mental health issues, but I feel like the immediate skepticism and doubt puts us further backwards than the old attitude (of it being "soft" to admit stuff like this) does. Just further stigmatizes and makes people feel further isolated, and gives less incentive for people to speak up when there is an issue and they do need help.

I'm not. I'm just saying there's innuendo and these days when someone says they're stepping away for mental health reasons, most people will immediately wonder if it's legit or not. Or more likely they'll wonder what off-field issue is being covered up this time.

I'm just saying that this is the AFL's new favourite loophole. Because you can't touch someone who says they have a mental health issue, even if you know it's just a horseshit excuse. Now when someone genuinely has a mental issue, they're going to have to be clouded under the same sky – there'll be innuendo.

name one player who has used mental health as a loop hole?

Name one who hasn't.
That's the issue here - Clubs and fans have no idea what goes on behind the veil of secrecy.
Yes, and this is the whole point!

Also I could name them but I don't really want to; I've been threatened once on this website and cbf with it now, especially as they're a huge player.

Name one who hasn't.
That's the issue here - Clubs and fans have no idea what goes on behind the veil of secrecy.

lol what. that's not how it works!

he claimed players have used it as an excuse, so you need to provide evidence to support your claim. can you name them?

players who have had genuine mental health issues: buddy, beams and stuv to name a few

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're supposedly a more progressive, accepting society than we once were on things like mental health issues, but I feel like the immediate skepticism and doubt puts us further backwards than the old attitude (of it being "soft" to admit stuff like this) does. Just further stigmatizes and makes people feel further isolated, and gives less incentive for people to speak up when there is an issue and they do need help.

Would you be happy for George Pell to cite mental health as a defence? Why/why not?

Its a disgrace for players to use mental illness as an excuse for anything.
Anyone with proper mental illness would not be able to play football. Needing a break is NOT mental illness. Mental illness is a LIFE long illness of the mind. Laugable these blokes claim they have mental illness for 2 weeks.
No idea about the subject.
If they need a break because of personal trauma then fine SAY that! but not mental illness thats a joke.
Id be very dissapointed if jack has done that to a team mate. We actually have a team thats building. With Jack (and harmony) we make finals this year. and prove every so called expert wrong.

Would you be happy for George Pell to cite mental health as a defence? Why/why not?

Strange logical leap to take, and pretty unfair and ridiculous to draw that parallel, but OK. Pell can cite whatever he likes. While there's proof or reasonable doubt he's commited the crimes he's accused of, he'll be and has been judged accordingly.

This is far different, and people are leaping towards the "oh it must be a cover for something" straight away (as they always seem to with footy players), without a shred of evidence suggesting otherwise.

Strange logical leap to take, and pretty unfair and ridiculous to draw that parallel, but OK. Pell can cite whatever he likes. While there's proof or reasonable doubt he's commited the crimes he's accused of, he'll be and has been judged accordingly.

This is far different, and people are leaping towards the "oh it must be a cover for something" straight away (as they always seem to with footy players), without a shred of evidence suggesting otherwise.

I don't think it's a ridiculous parallel. Pedophilia is a documented psychiatric disorder, albeit one that is abhorrent to most of us. The law punishes pedophiles for failure to abstain, and they receive no public sympathy. So why should we have sympathy for drug users who fail to abstain?

Anyone with proper mental illness would not be able to play football. Needing a break is NOT mental illness. Mental illness is a LIFE long illness of the mind. Laugable these blokes claim they have mental illness for 2 weeks.
If they need a break because of personal trauma then fine SAY that! but not mental illness thats a joke.
Id be very dissapointed if jack has done that to a team mate. We actually have a team thats building. With Jack (and harmony) we make finals this year. and prove every so called expert wrong.

You’ve changed your tune significantly after your torrid abuse towards the team when we played North Melbourne a few weeks back. Your negativity then seemed to suggest the team wasn’t going anywhere near finals.

Because many have used mental health as an excuse after they’ve been caught having an affair, taking illicit drugs, etc. Their weak acts have made it even harder for those genuinely affected by a mental health issue

I don't think it's a ridiculous parallel. Pedophilia is a documented psychiatric disorder, albeit one that is abhorrent to most of us. The law punishes pedophiles for failure to abstain, and they receive no public sympathy. So why should we have sympathy for drug users who fail to abstain?
You can't be serious?!

Your narrow view of what mental health issues and illness are or "should" be are problematic in itself.

Kind of ridiculous to equate pedophelia to drug use, no?

What real evidence is there that this is even a drug issue?

I'm sure it'll do wonders for Steven's mental health to know people are viewing him and judging him in the same light as George Pell...

Because many have used mental health as an excuse after they’ve been caught having an affair, taking illicit drugs, etc. Their weak acts have made it even harder for those genuinely affected by a mental health issue

That's great. Any actual evidence that this is the case here?

As I said earlier in the thread, the almost automatic skepticism and doubt people have in these situations doesn't make it any easier for people to open up and get help when their mental health and wellbeing is compromised.

You can't be serious?!

Why not? Pedophilia is as much a mental health issue as drug use. More, IMO.
Kind of ridiculous to equate pedophelia to drug use, no?

What real evidence is there that this is even a drug issue?

I'm sure it'll do wonders for Steven's mental health to know people are viewing him and judging him in the same light as George Pell...

I'm not relating it to Jack Steven, but to players in general using "mental health" as a deflection.

You stated:
Even if it is something more "sinister", like a drug issue, I don't see why that needs to be treated negatively or like he's a bad bloke.

We're supposedly a more progressive, accepting society than we once were on things like mental health issues...
How far does that "progressiveness" extend? Why not to pedo's?

As I said earlier in the thread, the almost automatic skepticism and doubt people have in these situations doesn't make it any easier for people to open up and get help when their mental health and wellbeing is compromised.

I think someone else summed up the mental health stories quite well. It's a life long battle, not "i'm taking a week off for mental health", or a day off like Fasolo did last year. You don't just 'get better' and get the all clear to play footy again. I can honestly say whenever I hear a footy player use 'mental health' for time off I immediately think he's done something wrong and that's a cover. They usually 'recover' suspiciously quickly and the issue never brought up again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back