Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
John Anderson on The Sun Footy Podcast .. linked Jack Steven to Geelong. His performance at Stk with 4 B&F's would normally have him as very big trade value , as it stands his future ability to be up to the demands of AFL would have to be questioned. Still one year to go at Stk and then is a FA.

Will he get traded? How much?

Damaged goods and not worth a lot. Just hope geelong don't grab him as I think he has always been overrated and is a poor kick of the football.

If he doesn't play much more footy this year due to personal problems... He would only be worth a 2nd round as the risk of him not playing football regularly is a risk.

Late ish pick for Steven, earliest pick(s) in any Kelly trade on a young mid. Only scenario that makes any sense.

Can't see Geelong putting their late first round pick on the table for him.

Given his issues and age and the fact that he's on a big salary i agree R1 is a no. Even Ablett we only ended up paying a pick in the 30s for Steven and i'd pay no more than that IMO.

Ablett cost Pick 19 and a swap of 2nd round picks and was 4 years older than Steven at the time of Trade.

Ablett also with similar go home issues.

At miniumum Jack Steven is worth the same, and more likely a straight swap of Geelongs first round pick.

Ablett cost Pick 19 and a swap of 2nd round picks and was 4 years older than Steven at the time of Trade.

Ablett also with similar go home issues.

At miniumum Jack Steven is worth the same, and more likely a straight swap of Geelongs first round pick.

Incorrect.

Ablett was a 5 pick downgrade from 19 to 24 (ended up being what we drafted Kelly with) plus our 2nd rounder (ended up being 33) and we got a 10 spot upgrade on our R4 (from 60s to 50s) in return. So when you do the math he ended up being a pick in the early 30s which is about what Steven is worth. At his age if he sits out most of the year you wont get a R1 from anyone.

St Kilda gave up a 2019 R2 (say late 20s) for Hanners and a swap of 2018 R2s. So say around pick 30 or so on points.

Steven more similar to him than Ablett in age and career. I like him but he's 29 and currently not playing.

Geelong might lose Kelly and will lose Ablett soon enough, plus Danger and Selwood are 29 and 31. Would be a strange move to give up an early pick for another late 20s mid. Getting him cheaply and going to the draft for the next wave makes some sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stevens is cooked as a footballer. Was always over rated. Very much like a poor man's Dangerfield who grabs the ball runs a bit then bombs it to no one or turns it over.

Steven's a gun, but his problems make his value hard to assess. Probably worth around 20-30? If he comes back this season it will be closer to 20, otherwise closer to 30.

This is exactly sort of trade that should have a sliding scale trade. Second rounder then another second rounder if he plays 50 games.

Was linked the Geelong last year as well.

I assume Geelong will have plenty of currency after a likely Tim Kelly trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back