Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeh that’s heaps, thought Hannebery was our highest paid this year @ 800k
I don't know whether thats what he is on this year but it's a substantial amount.

If he does go to Geelong, it's going to be a substantial pay cut. And going to leave us with a very large sum of money on top of our current "warchest" to throw around.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately with his mental health issues and the fact he's on some decent coin for another year, he's worth around a second round pick.

I hope he stays, but more importantly I hope he can get his head right. If moving clubs helps then so be it, as long as we get some kind of compensation for him.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
As your a Saints fan, what do you think he will be worth in picks?
It’s pretty hard to say. Obviously when he’s fit he’s a gun, but he’s had his problems this year. Approaching 30 aswell. He’s contracted so I guess that has some weight. Personally I’d be happy with anything in the mid to late 20s. Some saints supporters would obviously want better than that and neutral supporters probably think that’s way overs. So all in all, no ******* idea.

I haven't been following this story but im surprised with the 2nd calls. He is the type that tears teams apart if you have a few big mids around him to take the bumps.

Stkilda just haven't had that support for him for a few years now.

Good on Geelong if they get it done at a reasonable price. But id put a sneaky brownlow bet on him if it gets done.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
It’s pretty hard to say. Obviously when he’s fit he’s a gun, but he’s had his problems this year. Approaching 30 aswell. He’s contracted so I guess that has some weight. Personally I’d be happy with anything in the mid to late 20s. Some saints supporters would obviously want better than that and neutral supporters probably think that’s way overs. So all in all, no ******* idea.
Cheers Joop. Like your feedback. That's the thing the "rumours" he is meant to be interested in coming to Geelong, but we won't know until the end of the season. As Barlow said he would fit in our team when Kelly leaves. As in what his worth? I was thinking of a 2nd round pick, but that's only my views. The only down point on him as a Footballer is his kicking in hitting targets isn't the best, but don't worry Dangerfield is in that same category.

Having a look at the current draft positions i think alot will depend on if Kelly leaves and what is used in that possible trade.

Geel have 18, 36

18 a tad to high, 36 to low.

Wc have 16, 22
Freo have 8, 26

For example if Geelong trade Kelly and 36 for 16 and 22.

22 is probably fair value for Steven.

Otherwise id put 18 on the table and look for a pick back.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's one of the most underrated players of the last ten years IMO, probably because he plays at a small club in a time that we have really struggled.

Unfortunately for us though, with his mental health issues his value wouldn't be huge. I think if he were to ask for a trade we'd end up taking a second round pick. Hopefully one better then where the Cats sit right now though as that would really be a kick in the guts for handing over our best player.

I'd like us to ask for a young player in return, such as Constable, but i dont think the Cats would go for that.

If he does end up going, he'll be a great get for the Cats.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
He's one of the most underrated players of the last ten years IMO, probably because he plays at a small club in a time that we have really struggled.

Unfortunately for us though, with his mental health issues his value wouldn't be huge. I think if he were to ask for a trade we'd end up taking a second round pick. Hopefully one better then where the Cats sit right now though as that would really be a kick in the guts for handing over our best player.

I'd like us to ask for a young player in return, such as Constable, but i dont think the Cats would go for that.

I don't think he is worth anything now compare to last year. Nobody knew much about his mental health situation in last year trade periods.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)

I agree, if Saints were in the top 8 for years in sat 5 of the last 8. Steven vaule would be higher, and like you said he is underated.
Lol no way no we would trade Constable, in years to come I could see him maybe been our Captain. I honestly don't know why Constable isn't playing more then he actually is. Finds his own football beautifully .

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
All reports from saints fans is he won’t be playing with us next year.

Change that to some speculation from some saints fans is he won’t be playing with us next year.

Others have said that he loves the club and is not going anywhere.

Steven had a run in with Richo at his end of season review last year...and Richo is not there anymore.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Cheers Joop. Like your feedback. That's the thing the "rumours" he is meant to be interested in coming to Geelong, but we won't know until the end of the season. As Barlow said he would fit in our team when Kelly leaves. As in what his worth? I was thinking of a 2nd round pick, but that's only my views. The only down point on him as a Footballer is his kicking in hitting targets isn't the best, but don't worry Dangerfield is in that same category.
Yeh his kicking isn’t the best, but it’s not as bad as some people make it out to be. At the end of the day, he improves any side. As others have mentioned, if Kelly leaves then I think you guys will pay overs but you might aswell being in the window.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’ll go for very little if he leaves you’d think. Mid to late second round at best I think. Certainly doesn’t reflect his ability but it’s hard to ask for much considering his circumstances this year. Has been a true shining light for the club in a pretty dark decade.

Gee Class Loco

Premium Platinum
Oct 14, 2012
Sleepy Hollow
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Ham DEN Broncos BOS Celtics
A 3rd Rounder is about what he's worth quite frankly. Or a upgrade of 20 odd positions (36 for 56) at a stretch.
More than enough for a 29yo with issues, that they haven't been able to get onto the park all year.
Time to just move on, as he's days at St.Kilda have ended.
Cheers!

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
A 3rd Rounder is about what he's worth quite frankly. Or a upgrade of 20 odd positions (36 for 56) at a stretch.
More than enough for a 29yo with issues, that they haven't been able to get onto the park all year.
Time to just move on, as he's days at St.Kilda have ended.
Cheers!
I have been on this train of thought as well that his value is very low but it does depend on how high Geelong’s interest is. The article suggests they are heavily into him still in which case he still has a bit of value.

I have been on this train of thought as well that his value is very low but it does depend on how high Geelong’s interest is. The article suggests they are heavily into him still in which case he still has a bit of value.
Contracted, so if Geelong really want him they'll have to stump up a pick better than the 36 they currently hold.

Back