Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hannebery and pick 28 for pick 39 and Saints 2019 2nd rounder.

The big difference is Sydney wanted/needed Hannebery's salary off their books and StKilda were willing to take on all of it which got us a discount on him in the trade. Geelong can't afford Steven's full contract so will need StKilda to pay part of it next year which means they will need to offer more on the trade table.

Its a myth that Geelong cant afford Steven's whole salary.

The real question is whether they want to.

Steven is coming it's just a matter of what the deal is. I can see Abbott or Smith forming part of the deal but at best it'll be our 2nd round pick.

Steven is coming it's just a matter of what the deal is. I can see Abbott or Smith forming part of the deal but at best it'll be our 2nd round pick.

Neither Smith or Abbot have any real trade value though.

Both are only back up rucks and while this is all the Saints need now with Marshall having come out of nowhere, players of equivalent value can be taken from the State Leagues. Saints taking either would be more the Saints helping the Cats out than vice versa.

We only need a ruck who is happy to mainly play at Sandy and to come in if Marshall is injured. Or we go for a younger developing ruck (not a kid).

Neither Smith or Abbot have any real trade value though.

Both are only back up rucks and while this is all the Saints need now with Marshall having come out of nowhere, players of equivalent value can be taken from the State Leagues. Saints taking either would be more the Saints helping the Cats out than vice versa.

We only need a ruck who is happy to mainly play at Sandy and to come in if Marshall is injured. Or we go for a younger developing ruck (not a kid).
Well then I'm all ears on why you've offered Goldstein a contract. Either way I'm told Steven will simply retire if he doesn't get to Geelong. I can't see St.Kilda playing hard in this circumstance.

Well then I'm all ears on why you've offered Goldstein a contract.

I know the journos keep going on about the Goldie offer, but:

1/ That was we needed a No 1 ruck and was before Marshall bloomed as the No1 Ruck. Hence the offers early in the year to Goldstein and Draper. Marshall was basically playing as a key forward/back at Sandringham but has blossomed after those offers went out.
2/ Even if the offer is still live Goldstein is a FA. ie no draft pick required.

Abbot and Smith are both only back up rucks.

Either way I'm told Steven will simply retire if he doesn't get to Geelong. .

I doubt that.

Jack will know he can get to the Cats if they are willing to pay a fair price.

All I am saying is that Abbot and Smith do not have any real value. So when the deal gets done it will be whatever the other component/s is/are as to making the deal happen.

I doubt that.

Jack will know he can get to the Cats if they are willing to pay a fair price.

All I am saying is that Abbot and Smith do not have any real value. So when the deal gets done it will be whatever the other component/s is/are as to making the deal happen.
I hope your definition of a fair price doesn't include a 1st round pick. His value is somewhere in the 30's.

I hope your definition of a fair price doesn't include a 1st round pick. His value is somewhere in the 30's.

If it was your second rounder then you would expect a young player as well. Not an Abbot or Smith.

Abbot I think is out of contract in 2020? If so we allow you to break his contract by taking him. Allows you to use his contract $$ elsewhere. No other club wants him as he is not a genuine first 22 player, and at 28 now he is not going to become one. But he would serve us as a back up ruck as we do need someone for this role on our list. That would be his value in the deal if he was included. So Cats get him off there list and use the money elsewhere. Saints get slightly more in the trade because of it, but not much.

Last edited:
If it was your second rounder then you would expect a young player as well. Not an Abbot or Smith.

Abbot I think is out of contract in 2020? If so we allow you to break his contract by taking him. Allows you to use his contract $$ elsewhere. No other club wants him as he is not a genuine first 22 player, and at 28 now he is not going to become one. But he would serve us as a back up ruck. That would be his value in the deal if he was included.
Steven is worth a pick in the 30's, and that's being generous, without a young player being thrown in as steak knives.

He will be 30 at the start of next year with mental health issues that have prevented him from playing. Mental health issues that stem from bigger issues.

Anything else is just another example of supporters overrating the value of their players.

Or is this just another example of Geelong supporters underrating the value of other teams players.

Reckon Stevens health issues will disappear quicker than Gil calling the Brownlow votes if he is traded to Geelong.

Last edited:
Steven is worth a pick in the 30's, and that's being generous, without a young player being thrown in as steak knives.

He will be 30 at the start of next year with mental health issues that have prevented him from playing. Mental health issues that stem from bigger issues.

He has had issues in breaking up with his partner. That will not be a permanent state.

He has had issues in breaking up with his partner. That will not be a permanent state.
Those are far from his issues.

Anything else is just another example of supporters overrating the value of their players.

It's not about the value its about the risk.

Agree 30 sounds about right, all things considered under normal circumstances he would be valued higher than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The absolute certainty with which people declare a player’s worth always bemuses me. Certainly reasonable for people to have an opinion but when it comes to trades, people get very downright at what will take place. Saints fans are certainly guilty of this too. I don’t know why posters (related to all trades, not just this one) commit so strongly to what will happen. Honestly we have very little idea what will happen here. There are still three games potentially for Steven to play. If he struggles it will impact his value and conversely if he plays some quality footy it will raise his value from what some suggest.

Can't say here.
Maybe you shouldn't talk s**t if you're not willing to back it up. All this does is make people go and guess a bunch of stuff. Poor form.

Can't say here.

Just one of the many baseless rumours then. Take your pick from gay romps, drugs, sleeping with another players partner. All just rubbish like the recent Pies not playing finals rumour.

The several different sources at the club I have heard speak of it all say the same thing. Has not dealt well from being separated from his partner and kid.

Maybe you shouldn't talk s**t if you're not willing to back it up. All this does is make people go and guess a bunch of stuff. Poor form.
Sorry mate but I don't need to back it up.

Just one of the many baseless rumours then. Take your pick from gay romps, drugs, sleeping with another players partner. All just rubbish like the recent Pies not playing finals rumour.

The several different sources at the club I have heard speak of it all say the same thing. Has not dealt well from being separated from his partner and kid.
That's part of it, yes. Now let's move on.

Or is this just another example of Geelong supporters underrating the value of other teams players.

Reckon Stevens health issues will disappear quicker than Gil calling the Brownlow votes if he is traded to Geelong.
exactly. people forget how good this bloke is. get his head right and he'll be a weapon for Geelong

exactly. people forget how good this bloke is. get his head right and he'll be a weapon for Geelong
No doubt but he's 30. If he was 26 we'd be looking at our first and probably more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back