Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that Tim Kelly is 100% certain to leave and Joel Selwood's season has been "less than great" to put it kindly, Geelong's need for Steven is desperate. Especially if -as many are predicting- Shuan Higgins re-signs with North.

St.Kilda should be able to extract AT LEAST a first rounder out of Geelong under those circumstances. Particularly considering Beams & Gibbs fetched two 1sts. Of course this is St.Kilda were talking about, so a third rounder plus a half-eaten packet of twisties is probably more likely.

Zero chance of them getting a R1.

Now that Tim Kelly is 100% certain to leave and Joel Selwood's season has been "less than great" to put it kindly, Geelong's need for Steven is desperate. Especially if -as many are predicting- Shuan Higgins re-signs with North.

St.Kilda should be able to extract AT LEAST a first rounder out of Geelong under those circumstances. Particularly considering Beams & Gibbs fetched two 1sts. Of course this is St.Kilda were talking about, so a third rounder plus a half-eaten packet of twisties is probably more likely.

LOL. Id be very happy to see the Saints demand a R1 pick

The lack of respect on this thread for Jack Steven's ability to football astounds me.

It's not his ability to football that is the problem, it's his ability to play 22 games of football with a tire weighing him down. Takes more than just a pre-season to get rid of what he's carrying.

If he can though, should stay at the Saints. Cats don't really need him, and Saints don't really want to let him go. Only problem here is Steven himself, haha

It's not his ability to football that is the problem, it's his ability to play 22 games of football with a tire weighing him down. Takes more than just a pre-season to get rid of what he's carrying.

If he can though, should stay at the Saints. Cats don't really need him, and Saints don't really want to let him go. Only problem here is Steven himself, haha

Lol this season is the only one in the past 5 years he’s failed to play 20+ games....

Lol this season is the only one in the past 5 years he’s failed to play 20+ games....

I know that? Don't be so defensive. I was just saying that he's accumulated the weight over this season, due to the issues he's faced. Was saying that one pre-season might not be enough to shed it all and get back into good enough shape, for AFL standard. If he can get back to that, he's still got a couple of years, but it'll take a lot on his part to both have the motivation, and put in the hard yards. That's why I hope he stays with the Saints too, as we're only going to want him if he's already on that path. At least if he stays put, he can make up that fitness at his discretion, and then transfer the following year if he's still unhappy.

Have said since it was announced, best situation all round is for Steven to stay put, as we're looking for a best 22 mid if Kelly leaves, and his mental state might prevent him from taking on that responsibility straight away.

And Brett Deledios last season at the tigers was his first playing less than 18 games. At that age missing chunks of seasons is a huge red flag

The lack of respect on this thread for Jack Steven's ability to football astounds me.
I think this is hitting the nail on the head as to why a trade can't be facilitated. Saints fans see a 4x best and fairest winner, the cats see a guy whose best is great but was most likely played 2-3 years ago. How can you facilitate a trade that's respectful when one party sees a 4x b&f and the other sees a massive risk. Glad partly because we're not dragging a bloke who needs time and support through a media circus.

I absolutely respect that his best football is elite, but I think most cats fans would agree that he'd very long odds to be in our next premiership side given Kelly gone and a list demographic of Selwood 32, Dangerfield 30, Hawkins 32, Ablett 36. If he's not in the next premiership side then what's his value if he's really just there to help stagger retirements?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Scott selwood could be involved

Err how? Surely you jest? WTF would he play?

2 games in 2019 and obviously no longer up to it, not that he ever really was. Even at his best was always onlya fringe player.

Steele is tagging mid who often beats the best mids in the competition, while winning more ball that them.

Then there is Dunstan. dmotedly not the best mid, but vastly superior to Scott Selwood.
Ross is way better.

Just where exactly would you anticipate Scott Selwood playing.

St Kilda have ample B- Grade mids. What we lack are A Grade mids and not De Grades mids like Scott Selwood.

And then you have the fact that Selwood is a UFA. So even if St Kilda did want him, which they clearly wouldn't, he would come for free.

Err how? Surely you jest? WTF would he play?

2 games in 2019 and obviously no longer up to it, not that he ever really was. Even at his best was always onlya fringe player.

Steele is tagging mid who often beats the best mids in the competition, while winning more ball that them.

Then there is Dunstan. dmotedly not the best mid, but vastly superior to Scott Selwood.
Ross is way better.

Just where exactly would you anticipate Scott Selwood playing.

St Kilda have ample B- Grade mids. What we lack are A Grade mids and not De Grades mids like Scott Selwood.

And then you have the fact that Selwood is a UFA. So even if St Kilda did want him, which they clearly wouldn't, he would come for free.
Reckon that was a fairly successful troll there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back