Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Personally I hope that the Cats do lowball, as Jack will then stay a Saint.

I don’t think geelong are the slightest lowballing him on Bigfooty. Majority of neutrals despite the odd one who hates geelong ( start talking about arrogance etc) will say he is worth a second to early third. Somewhere in that bracket.

The only people who seem to think he is a first are st kilda fans.

He just isn’t worth anywhere near that

I don’t think geelong are the slightest lowballing him on Bigfooty. Majority of neutrals despite the odd one who hates geelong ( start talking about arrogance etc) will say he is worth a second to early third. Somewhere in that bracket.

I've also heard 1st and Constable by Saints fans. That is delusion.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda

If you are going to comment on my post, could you actually comment on what I wrote?

If you want to comment on what others have written then quote them.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I've also heard 1st and Constable by Saints fans. That is delusion.

For a first round pick at 30 years old you would expect an AA level career player with great durability. Steven has poor health both physically and mentally and has never been an AA standard midfielder in the competition.

The value placed on him by st kilda fans is very baffling to put it the least....

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Steven has poor health both physically and mentally

Maybe do some research before making statements??

Before this year Steven had in each year played the following number of games per year since his first game:

Yes what an absolutely shocking run. Hardly ever got the park :rolleyes:

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Maybe do some research before making statements??

Before this year Steven had in each year played the following number of games per year since his first game:

Yes what an absolutely shocking run. Hardly ever got the park :rolleyes:

He has sat out basically an entire season away from a club with zero conditioning fitness wise and has come back very overweight for a footy player to the point he can’t rven do much midfield minutes.
I would call that physically in poor health. Then throw on the mental side of things.

I would say I’m pretty spot on with the assessment.

For such a durable bloke, he was never even an AA yet you want a first round pick for him at 30 years old with all the issues and time away from footy??

The dillusion pills are strong down st kilda way

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I love Jack Steven. I have a soft spot for Saints and I wouldn’t be against Steven playing for Geelong. But he isn’t worth a first rounder. There are massive questions on his mental health, the long term longevity of his game etc etc. He simply isn’t worth it.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
He has sat out basically an entire season away from a club with zero conditioning fitness wise and has come back very overweight for a footy player to the point he can’t rven do much midfield minutes.

And yet, FatBoy Jack could kick 3 goals, outmark and outbody bigger opponents, take 7 marks in total, burst away from opponents and rack up 22 disposals and was rated by most pundits as amongst the best players.

Must be a hack. Clearly would be a liability to any team. No potential at all to be any better after a pre-season.

Jul 16, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jack Steven is a star when he is on the track. My question for Geelong is why continue with these older players?

Constable had 41 and 2 goals on the weekend. Wouldn’t you be trying to force a kid like that in who is 20 yrs old?

IMO Geelong already have 1-2 too many slow midfielders if Steven isn’t working hard forward of the footy like every other mid is at Geelong is he helping defend on transition? That’s where Geelong is lacking.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
And yet, FatBoy Jack could kick 3 goals, outmark and outbody bigger opponents, take 7 marks in total, burst away from opponents and rack up 22 disposals and was rated by most pundits as amongst the best players.

Must be a hack. Clearly would be a liability to any team. No potential at all to be any better after a pre-season.

Players are notorious for coming back in after a long lay off and firing up for a great game. Recall menzel kicking four goals his comeback game many years ago against collingwood and looking a million bucks then faded off. It isn’t uncommon.

The test will be how he pulls up over a long period given his poor conditioning and health. History suggests such scenarios rarely end well.

It is very hard to come back and be the same player after such a long time away from a footy club with no conditioning and get back to the same fitness level. It is not like an injured player who is doing intense fitness work each day in the pools on the g treadmill and bike. He was actually sitting at home doing none of it. Which is severely concerning for him going forward.
The great Wayne Carey tings a bell for this scenario. Year long layoff away from footy around the same age then was a shadow of himself after.

His a good player Steven I never said any different. But he is no way anywhere near a first rounder value. Far from any scenario like that going the saints way.

Listen to the majority of neutrals and they will tell you exactly that

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
He was actually sitting at home doing none of it. Which is severely concerning for him going forward.

Obviously you are a Jack Steven expert? Personally I believe you are just making up s**t and have no clue.

So while Jack was according to you sitting at home doing none of it....who was that stand-in who played for Sandringham in games leading up to last week and who was also prior to the Sandringham Games training at StKFC for a month?

Jack is underdone, but to claim he has not done any work at all this year just reveals lack level of knowledge on Jack.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Obviously you are a Jack Steven expert? Personally I believe you are just making up s**t and have no clue.

So while Jack was according to you sitting at home doing none of it....who was that stand-in who played for Sandringham in games leading up to last week and who was also prior to the Sandringham Games training at StKFC for a month?

Jack is underdone, but to claim he has not done any work at all this year just reveals lack level of knowledge on Jack.

I’m not a st kilda fan I am just going off what I have read but I am not going to go putting in research as I am just Happy to be corrected for any details as such.

So how many months was he away from the club in total? I’m assuming you would know

Jack Steven is a star when he is on the track. My question for Geelong is why continue with these older players?

Constable had 41 and 2 goals on the weekend. Wouldn’t you be trying to force a kid like that in who is 20 yrs old?

IMO Geelong already have 1-2 too many slow midfielders if Steven isn’t working hard forward of the footy like every other mid is at Geelong is he helping defend on transition? That’s where Geelong is lacking.
You're right and I don't have an answer, I'm thinking the interest is based on the fact that we may get him very cheap since he will reportedly retire otherwise.

This is exactly the point. Why would we helicopter in an overweight 30 year old to take Constables spot right at the point where he getting post his endurance issues? Makes little sense

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
This is exactly the point. Why would we helicopter in an overweight 30 year old to take Constables spot right at the point where he getting post his endurance issues? Makes little sense
You make it sound like him being overweight is a massive issue. Despite him playing well on the weekend, there is a thing called training and pre-season.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Probably best we just wait until end of next year and sign him for nothing. Not worth anything close to a first given his badly out of shape and his mental health clouds at 30 years old.

If it isn’t for our second rounder then we will just sit it out and wait. St kilda will only get a third round compo out of that scenario

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
You make it sound like him being overweight is a massive issue. Despite him playing well on the weekend, there is a thing called training and pre-season.

I think you are taking things a bit too seriously? No one is saying he is a hack, and every Geelong supporter who has said anything seems to think he is a good player. We are just questioning his long term worth, which is what would need to be established for a high pick.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m not a st kilda fan I am just going off what I have read but I am not going to go putting in research as I am just Happy to be corrected for any details as such.

So how many months was he away from the club in total? I’m assuming you would know

Well he played AFL on 27 April and then again on11 Aug to start. He has played 5 AFL Games this season.
He started playing with Sandringham on 21 July
He was training at the Saints regularly for I think a month prior in the lead up to the Sandringham games..

For the rest I don't think that he was completely gone. But rather came and went. But even if he was gone completely for this period, it is nonsense to imply that he has had a whole year off football.

"The great Wayne Carey tings a bell for this scenario. Year long layoff away from footy around the same age then was a shadow of himself after".

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hopefully he stays at the Saints beyond this year & next. Slot the little nugget in the forward pocket for the next 3-4 years & he will be good for 30-40 goals a season. He cut his teeth as an AFL player in the forward line & he’s got the craft to go back there to finish off his career.

If he demands a change to the Cats I believe the club will facilitate a trade. His value has no doubt reduced over the past six months. I think the Cats second rounder & possibly steak knives (that ruckman bloke) would see a deal between the two clubs completed.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Well he played AFL on 27 April and then again on11 Aug to start. He has played 5 AFL Games this season.
He started playing with Sandringham on 21 July
He was training at the Saints regularly for I think a month prior in the lead up to the Sandringham games..

For the rest I don't think that he was completely gone. But rather came and went. But even if he was gone completely for this period, it is nonsense to imply that he has had a whole year off football.

"The great Wayne Carey tings a bell for this scenario. Year long layoff away from footy around the same age then was a shadow of himself after".

Not as bad as I thought but still a few months out which is damaging. Explains his current condition and fitness.

Being away from AFL conditioning and fitness for a player hurts badly. Injured players undergo intense training and fitness regimes so it’s different for them.

Back