Opinion Jack Steven

Remove this Banner Ad

The best outcome for us is if we jump into the Tim Kelly goes West deal.
Geelong want two 1st rounders for him, and high ones.
Well what if they end up with our 1st, and Steven? We end up with Freo's first and Adam Cerra and Geelong's second. We give up Steven, our first and our third. Freo lose Cerra and their first for Kelly and a couple third rounders. Maybe something like that?
If we were offered Langdon I'd take that too but wouldn't throw in our first - I would happily effectively give up our first rounder for Cerra then take pick 18ish for Steven. Langdon isn't as good.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Although he is contracted, I doubt we play hard ball now and we let him go ‘home’ relatively cheap. Maybe get back into the second round, not sure what picks Geelong have available.

He is worth more to us than he is to them.

I hope that we don’t just give him away though, at least hold out for compensation that is deemed adequate to us. Surely Stuv would want that too.

Also, our friends down the Princes Freeway would also understand that too, would be a bit double standards expecting us to give Steven away whilst at the same time asking for overs for Kelly (who also wants to go home and is a 4 hour flight away - not a 2 hour drive).

Last edited:
I'm sure we'll get something decent for him, I understand if he goes, but first I hope we try and offer him a relaxed program that lets him get home more often than he would normally. He's been a fantastic player for us, he would go down as one of the great one club sainters if he sticks it out for another five years or so at the club. He could easily finish his career in the forward pocket still having a significant impact on games.

fu** Geelong. He's contracted for next year, if we can't get something good for him we need to keep him. Don't need to give them freebies, those campaigners have had enough success as it is.
But another year like this is no use to us, then he walks for nothing. Better to get something for him if he wants out. And our best way is in a package like the Tim Kelly deal.

But another year like this is no use to us, then he walks for nothing. Better to get something for him if he wants out. And our best way is in a package like the Tim Kelly deal.

if he walks as a free agent we’ll get compo so it’s worth keeping that in mind if Geelong offers us s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes me laugh when the media say about him maybe " going home" to Geelong.
LOL it's Geelong. Get in your car and faarrkking drive there whenever you want Jacky boy. :D
It's not like he is from WA and is missing being so far away from family.

I love the bloke and with 4 B&Fs he has battled for our club immensely over the yrs and I hope he stays.
BUT if he still has some issues to get over in his personal life and he generally wants a trade then just trade him.
The Saints are hopefully coming hard in the next couple of seasons and we need all the players heading in the same direction.
Important for Jack to get his head right as well. So hopefully it works out best for us and importantly best for him as well.

I'm sure we'll get something decent for him, I understand if he goes, but first I hope we try and offer him a relaxed program that lets him get home more often than he would normally. He's been a fantastic player for us, he would go down as one of the great one club sainters if he sticks it out for another five years or so at the club. He could easily finish his career in the forward pocket still having a significant impact on games.

I'd love it if this happens, I reckon he only has a couple of years left though. Think there is a general perception (may or not be true) that he loves playing footy but necessarily the whole AFL lifestyle around it.

If he does want to leave, our best hope is paying some of his salary and hoping that Geelong narrowly miss out on winning it, and lose Kelly, so they are tempted to top up again before Selwood, Ablett et al hang them up.

Get involved in 3 way trade:
In:
Saints: Hill, Pick 18, Pick 36, Freo 2020 2nd
Cats: Steven, Pick 6, Pick 8
Freo: Kelly, Saints 2020 2nd

We just aren’t going to get that much for him. That’s equal to two high first rounders. Last year yes. This year not a hope.
Saints still giving up top 10 pick and losing arguably our best mid (I'd value pick 20-25) for a big downgrade of our first and Hill, who's probably worth around pick 15-20.

Cats would be happy with receiving 2 top 10 picks for an out of contract player. Plus they get a ready made mid to help them push for a premiership while they are still in their window (Still open for another year or two). Best possible outcome for them IMO.

Freo get one of the best mids in the comp and a likely upgrade of 2nd round pick next year. Their midfield would be right up there with the best in the comp.

Makes me laugh when the media say about him maybe " going home" to Geelong.
LOL it's Geelong. Get in your car and faarrkking drive there whenever you want Jacky boy. :D
It's not like he is from WA and is missing being so far away from family.

I love the bloke and with 4 B&Fs he has battled for our club immensely over the yrs and I hope he stays.
BUT if he still has some issues to get over in his personal life and he generally wants a trade then just trade him.
The Saints are hopefully coming hard in the next couple of seasons and we need all the players heading in the same direction.
Important for Jack to get his head right as well. So hopefully it works out best for us and importantly best for him as well.

Spot on , its a f ing circus the crap people write in the media

Get involved in 3 way trade:
In:
Saints: Hill, Pick 18, Pick 36, Freo 2020 2nd
Cats: Steven, Pick 6, Pick 8
Freo: Kelly, Saints 2020 2nd
Quiet frankly Tim Kelly has to be one of the most over rated players going around , i think everyone just loves the story and for all the hype about him he is tracking no better than our Seb Ross , anyone that gave two first rounders for him should be sacked immediately

It's hard to put a value on him as we really can't afford to let him go for peanuts. It's notlike Hannebery where salary space needs to be cleared, in fact he helps us reach the minimum cap. It's not like Ablett where we've got hordes of high picks anyway, we don't have anything between our first and the fourth round. We need more than a token pick come draft time otherwise we are better off helping him through.

Quiet frankly Tim Kelly has to be one of the most over rated players going around , i think everyone just loves the story and for all the hype about him he is tracking no better than our Seb Ross , anyone that gave two first rounders for him should be sacked immediately
Have you seen Kelly play? His season has been miles above Ross. His influence on games is enormous. He is someone whose stats don't reflect his impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back