Preview Jack the Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2017 showed us a lot of things, a fair few were negative, however one real positive to come out of it was Ziebell playing forward. Has always been best suited as a forward - his power and explosiveness is far more dangerous around goals and has shown that he is capable of kicking bags. Not to mention, he really is just an average midfielder, not quick or composed enough to ply there permanently.

With 2018 being a rebuild year of development, it's the perfect opportunity for Jack to work on his forward craft. We have Luke McDonald walking into the midfield, adding a big body, as well as the development of Clarke, Simpkin, Williams and Mountford who are desperate for midfield minutes. Not to mention our first two picks who are likely mids. Replacing him with someone quicker in our midfield will also help with the slow issue.

With our next challenge at finals being beyond 2019, Jack will hopefully get to refine his forward craft and become a really damaging forward once we next push as contenders. He will kick 40-50 goals next year if he plays predominantly forward.

2017 showed us a lot of things, a fair few were negative, however one real positive to come out of it was Ziebell playing forward. Has always been best suited as a forward - his power and explosiveness is far more dangerous around goals and has shown that he is capable of kicking bags. Not to mention, he really is just an average midfielder, not quick or composed enough to ply there permanently.

With 2018 being a rebuild year of development, it's the perfect opportunity for Jack to work on his forward craft. We have Luke McDonald walking into the midfield, adding a big body, as well as the development of Clarke, Simpkin, Williams and Mountford who are desperate for midfield minutes. Not to mention our first two picks who are likely mids. Replacing him with someone quicker in our midfield will also help with the slow issue.

With our next challenge at finals being beyond 2019, Jack will hopefully get to refine his forward craft and become a really damaging forward once we next push as contenders. He will kick 40-50 goals next year if he plays predominantly forward.
Like what Stringer was like in 2016

He is a natural forward, he showed it in his debut game in the preseason when he bagged 3.

His kicking has suffered being an inside mid so a permanent move forward will see that booming canon return. It has driven me mad watching Jack play midfield because he isn't a natural midfielder, he lacks that awareness in close so he gets rid of it as quick as he can. I feel for Jack because he busts a gut every game to not only play in an unnatural role but to dominate in it but he doesnt have the tools.

Move him to CHF with Wood and Garner on his flanks with Turner and Simpkin hovering around Brown like two hungry piranhas baying for leather

It ain't happening cause we are as dumb as dog Sh!t, let's see what happens and see how close I am....

Can't wait. He needs to play there.

2014 (rd 22). Jack plays forward in the second half and finishes with 4.5. He ended a crow defenders career that day.

2017 (rd 20). Injured Jack plays forward after half time because of the brown injury. Kicks a lazy 5 goals.

Two games where i remember him spending significant time forward. Scary when both were only for a half.

He creates big issues when he plays forward because he's strong as an ox and a good mark. He needs a taller mobile defender like rampe to stop him. If it's a key position player he kills them when it hits the deck. If it's a small he plays one out and wins in the air. He also creates opportunity because he crashes packs and hunts the ball (I'll never forget that game against geelong when he and wells turned in on in the last quarter and won us the game).

Plus a forward that can kick from outside 50...not to mention he is an accurate kick at goal.

Wood, Brown, Garner, and Ziebell. Coaches love flexibility. These 4 offer that in spades. I'd do almost anything to keep ziebell away from full-time mid. A MUST!

Needs to play lots forward to extend his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's the captain so i don't mind him having a run in the middle every so often, especially with a young midfield group coming through, but he simply must play forward more. The bloke is half forward's version of archer and my old man has said as much. Can absolutely lead the team from there. I'd back him in to play forward for 70% of matches with 15-20% spent in the middle.

Has Ziebell ever put a foot wrong, playing forward? I struggle to think of an example.

Must play forward next year, to be occasionally rotated into the middle if the kids are getting pushed around too easily.

I will miss his booming kicks from the centre circle to the oppositions half backs and then rebounding for a score..... but i guess he could be useful booming them from the 50 arch to over Mr Jolly Rodgers head for a kangas reset in the middle... i suppose

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has Ziebell ever put a foot wrong, playing forward? I struggle to think of an example.

Must play forward next year, to be occasionally rotated into the middle if the kids are getting pushed around too easily.
I honestly can't think of any. As i said above i remember times where he's played there for a half of football and kick 9 goals in 2 games. Easily 40+ goal a year player imo

Boomers 427 he played predominantly forward and had 13 touches and kicked 0.1...

A bit like Danger or Dusty, one of the few that as a contested beast will hold his ground and keep his feet. These types also draw frees with their ability to stay in the contest.

After his half against Adelaide in 2014, there was an element of fear, Cunners got a goal out the back against the Bombers in that final when 2 went up to spoil Jack.

It's the obvious thing to do, but Scott feels we don't have a capable replacement in the midfield so I don't think it will happen on a permanent basis.
I would have thought it's the perfect season to run a shitload of players through there and hopefully find a couple who can stick.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Surprised at your restraint on this topic considering you started a change.org to send Jack to CHF permanently in 2009.

If only he was 3-4 inches taller!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back