Certified Legendary Thread Jack Trengove

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Trenners was OK yesterday, a solid 6/10 game. The crowd reception for him was brilliant though, would have really helped his spirits IMO.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-23/im-a-realist-trengove-savours-bright-lights-again

"I'm a realist, in that I know I'm out of contract this year, so every game is huge for me and I've just got to keep proving to everyone that I do belong," Trengove told AFL.com.au.

Will definitely be better for getting the run at AFL level yesterday. Hopefully Goodwin shows a bit of faith in him and keeps him in the side against North Melbourne next week.

Would be very surprised if he got dropped next week, JKH is the logical out should Jones come back in.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-23/im-a-realist-trengove-savours-bright-lights-again

"I'm a realist, in that I know I'm out of contract this year, so every game is huge for me and I've just got to keep proving to everyone that I do belong," Trengove told AFL.com.au.

Will definitely be better for getting the run at AFL level yesterday. Hopefully Goodwin shows a bit of faith in him and keeps him in the side against North Melbourne next week.

I didn't know he was Oliver's housemate. Gives me a lot of faith that Clarry will end up a solid citizen with a good dose of loyalty.

Fantastic to see Jack back out there yesterday. Yeah he's not quick but he is all class and slotted in nicely. I was pleased that the team's performance, especially the first half of course, allowed him to find his feet without much pressure. Hopefully he can play a handful more games this year and pick up the pace of the game a little more. I much prefer him to Vince in that halfback general type role.

I much prefer him to Vince in that halfback general type role.
Me too, actually seems to think his way out of it, and picked the right options each time. You could argue that they were always the safe options, but they keep the ball in our hands, so no complaints from me.

Thought he did more than enough to earn another game and I saw enough to suggest he's well worth persisting with where I had previously been in the "unfortunately he's finished" camp.
Do love him and his character. Was pretty matter of fact in his presser after the game. Knows where he's at but if he can nail down a spot and we happen to play finals I'd be so bloody happy for the guy.

Trengove taking a second to assess his options was better watching than Vince thinking he can still burst through packs and hit targets 40m away. If JT plays within his limits, then he'll be more than useful while he finds his feet.

Fantastic to see Jack back out there yesterday. Yeah he's not quick but he is all class and slotted in nicely. I was pleased that the team's performance, especially the first half of course, allowed him to find his feet without much pressure. Hopefully he can play a handful more games this year and pick up the pace of the game a little more. I much prefer him to Vince in that halfback general type role.
Loved his post match. What a great smile on the kid

I concur in that his decision making and ball use were good. That said, there are couple of things that we'll need to cover:-

- if he plays back, whoever he is on needs to be covered as they will burn him off and expose his lack of pace.
- when the pressure increases he won't have the time to have a cup of tea and assess the situation, so that too will have to get faster.

Otherwise, there are plenty of players on lists who are more limited. And with the number of butchers we have, it may just be worth carrying a good distributor.

- when the pressure increases he won't have the time to have a cup of tea and assess the situation, so that too will have to get faster.
He will have less time, yes. But I hope he still takes that time to make the right decision, not rush it. His cool head is an asset to him and to our back line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holding fire on Trenners still. Couldnt have been an easier first half for him to return in I dont remember a single kick where he was under pressure in the back half.

I'm not taking any joy in doing this but I did say hold fire. He didn't prove anything against port and I was surprised how much positivity there was about his game. Equally surprised about the vitriol considering he was no better than OK last week

I'm not taking any joy in doing this but I did say hold fire. He didn't prove anything against port and I was surprised how much positivity there was about his game. Equally surprised about the vitriol considering he was no better than OK last week

I was frustrated because he made some uncharacteristically poor decisions which is traditionally his strong point.

What it did point out to me (Again) is we need to prioritise smart footballers coming into the club. Goody has built a very powerful team athletically (Not many clubs have our blend of contested ball and speed) but we really lack guys who make good decisions consistently. I'd say only Jones/Watts/Hibberd/Jetta/Petracca are the reliable ones, Lewis has had some howlers this year and Oliver will be great in time but needs to put away the needless handball.

I mean I love what guys like Frost and Hunt bring but they epitomise us with all their athletic traits and toughness yet an inability to execute consistently well.

I was frustrated because he made some uncharacteristically poor decisions which is traditionally his strong point.

What it did point out to me (Again) is we need to prioritise smart footballers coming into the club. Goody has built a very powerful team athletically (Not many clubs have our blend of contested ball and speed) but we really lack guys who make good decisions consistently. I'd say only Jones/Watts/Hibberd/Jetta/Petracca are the reliable ones, Lewis has had some howlers this year and Oliver will be great in time but needs to put away the needless handball.

I mean I love what guys like Frost and Hunt bring but they epitomise us with all their athletic traits and toughness yet an inability to execute consistently well.

Mitch Hannan was a good move toward a different type of player. We have drafted heavy on blokes who win their own footy now we need to find some Riolis in the back end of the first round.
In hindsight Dom Tyson was a horrible choice for the player we took from GWS.

Mitch Hannan was a good move toward a different type of player. We have drafted heavy on blokes who win their own footy now we need to find some Riolis in the back end of the first round.
In hindsight Dom Tyson was a horrible choice for the player we took from GWS.

Roos wanted a contested ball winner and I understand why we got Tyson, problem is his disposal means he'll never be above B grade and he will play more games at a C grade level or below than an A grade level . Just like last week Tyson did really well to win so much of the ball but * me his disposal is atrocious. He seemed to be a goalkicking mid in his first year which helped but he's gone well away from that since 2014.

Roos wanted a contested ball winner and I understand why we got Tyson, problem is his disposal means he'll never be above B grade and he will play more games at a C grade level or below than an A grade level . Just like last week Tyson did really well to win so much of the ball but **** me his disposal is atrocious. He seemed to be a goalkicking mid in his first year which helped but he's gone well away from that since 2014.

It's funny too because he is the opposite of what he looks like if that makes sense. He is a bloody good tackler and very good contested ball winner. He looks like Pendles but plays like Taylor Adams as someone else said.

Me main issue with him is like Viney/Jones/Lewis/Vince/Oliver etc they are only able to play well in one position.

Thanks for your service Trenners, but you just don't have it anymore. You still have some decent kicking skills but get beaten in every other area. Moving forward I actually think Brayshaw would do alright in the role Trenners has been playing.

I'm going early here but 6 years ago who would've thought Spencer would spend more time on our list than Trengove.

7a02a00d1cfd79ccd9226a13027e652370132bf22a53046585d9c070d3dc3409.jpg

Yep, his cooked! Looked well off the pace on Saturday. Pity as well all had such high hopes for the kid but injuries have killed his pace not that he had heaps of it to begin with.

We almost won't have any players left from the Bailey/Neeld years when Trenners is gone.

It's good, in some ways. When Goodwin talks about our recent history and our hoodoos being meaningless, there's some truth in it, as most of our players weren't there for it.

Am glad he got another go at it so he could go out knowing he wasn't shafted of an opportunity.,
He'd know the game has gone past him and the last thing he'd want is to continue getting a game when he isn't up to it.
A true gentleman and a great clubman.
Shattered that injuries ruined what could have been a pretty good career for a ripping bloke but I think that's it from Trenners.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back