Recommitted Jack Viney [re-signed until 2025]

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Wait is Viney even worth more than 19?

I actually think that would be one of the few times the compo actually works out about right.

He is a good solid mid who has a hard edge to his game.

However he will probably never be a top 2 mid in a premiership winning team. He has a questionable injury history as well. Is a good B/B+ type player and would make any team better. Think 19 is about fair.

Melbourne won’t get a compensation pick if we want to grab a free agent. Better for Melbourne to get a trade

Viney isn’t making it too Geelong in pre-season draft, especially when Melbourne has a pick before them.

Viney is passionate about Melbourne, he was captain of the club and currently vice captain. I’d back that he’d come back to Melbourne than risk entering the draft.

Which free agent would melbourne be trying to get?

As for the other bit I agree he would come back to you and that would be ok with us.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is my feeling too. I think taking the captaincy off him was probably one of the biggest own goals I've seen Melbourne make. Could you imagine if we took the captaincy off Sel when he was 26? Would've been hell to pay
I’m not convinced it was a mistake. What if there’s a better captain? Club would be better making the right call rather than sitting on their hands.

Which free agent would melbourne be trying to get?

As for the other bit I agree he would come back to you and that would be ok with us.
Zach Williams would be one we’re interested in.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is my feeling too. I think taking the captaincy off him was probably one of the biggest own goals I've seen Melbourne make. Could you imagine if we took the captaincy off Sel when he was 26? Would've been hell to pay
Ooft! As a close follower of the Dees since 1993, own goals is something we’re truly elite at so I’m a bit unsure about that call. However, rather than quibble about semantics, I agree there is some merit to what you’re saying.

Trying to analyse captaincy and leadership is a bit of a guessing game from the outside but I can see how Viney could feel jilted. It’s only my nuffy opinion but I think we probably made him captain too early in his career. It wasn’t Trengove & Grimes levels of bad but he could’ve done without that role when trying to consolidate his career at 22-23. I also know that decision put a few noses out of joint in the playing group at the time. He spent a fair chunk of 17-18 sidelined with injury and then had to deal with a disastrous 2019. Don’t think he’s as good as Selwood but taking the captaincy off of him after that also seemed quite cruel. He has his limitations but he’d be my first player named in a finals squad.

Actually its semantics. Adelaide said they would match and rather than waiting for the official paperwork Geelong decided to go straight to a trade.
It's mostly semantics. It implies that if a club will match then a free agency offer won't be made. That implies that if the club seeking his services doesn't see that a reasonable trade agreement could be made then they won't pursue.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's mostly semantics. It implies that if a club will match then a free agency offer won't be made. That implies that if the club seeking his services doesn't see that a reasonable trade agreement could be made then they won't pursue.

No. After declaring a matching by the owning club, the poaching club is free to go for a trade.

The match is only the beginning.

No. After declaring a matching by the owning club, the poaching club is free to go for a trade.

The match is only the beginning.
No it isn't the beginning. A club has to make an offer first. When they do or don't they and the other club will know what the value is and will have a generally accurate view of what band the compo is. That's a big reason why matching never happens and almost certainly never will. The threat is enough to either make a trade happen or force other clubs away.

Like the other poster said though, it's pretty much semantics

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Surely he's cooked, or will be within a couple of years.

Looks nothing like the player he was a few years ago, and seems older than his years.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you might find if he leaves it’s because he wants out. There’s been murmurings for a while now. I think if he wants to stay of course we keep him. I’d be disappointed if he was pushed.

Really a strange situation hearing Viney may be looking elsewhere.

Heart and soul player and an ex captain.

It could come down to contract length, Viney is a kamakazi player and his body will be pretty banged up by the time he reaches 30.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
If Geelong received picks 14, 24, 37 and Eagles’ future first-round pick for Tim Kelly then we should receive at least the equivalent of picks 14 and 24 for Viney from Geelong in return/ compensation.

If the club decided to trade Jack without his consent/wishes then this would set the club back for a long time and would almost do it for me.

Back