Recommitted Jack Viney [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong received picks 14, 24, 37 and Eagles’ future first-round pick for Tim Kelly then we should receive at least the equivalent of picks 14 and 24 for Viney from Geelong in return/ compensation.

If the club decided to trade Jack without his consent/wishes then this would set the club back for a long time and would almost do it for me.
Tim Kelly wasn't a free agent. Your best bet would be Band 1 compensation.

What happened when Geelong got Dangerfield?
Dangerfield was traded rather than declaring himself a free agent. Adelaide still got massive unders but it was better than the Band 1 compo they would otherwise have received.

That happened once, and everyone now clings to it like it will happen again, as opposed to all the times a free agent has changed clubs via the more standard route.

If he's a restricted free agent, and Melbourne match the offer and Viney chooses to leave still, then the club must perform a trade. That's why it's called a restricted free agent?
All of this is correct, it just depends on what someone is going to offer. Maybe North will open the war chest. I mean you wouldn't match a Polec-type salary would you? Especially with the compo coming back your way.

If Geelong received picks 14, 24, 37 and Eagles’ future first-round pick for Tim Kelly then we should receive at least the equivalent of picks 14 and 24 for Viney from Geelong in return/ compensation.

If the club decided to trade Jack without his consent/wishes then this would set the club back for a long time and would almost do it for me.

You have almost zero chance of that happening.

Why? compensation for a FA ..is not meant to deliver parity.

trade without V consent ... clubs can not trade anyone without the player agreeing to it.. .he is OOC and will most likely stay if he is happy at Melb.

It's almost like some Melbourne supporters have only started following player movement this season.

It's like they don't remember getting pick 3 compensation for Frawley the year after Hawthorn got pick 19 for Franklin. Because that's how FA compensation works.

It's interesting how they seem to not understand it just as there's talk of them losing a player for slight unders. I wonder if there's any connection there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they trade viney, put a fork in Melbourne. You don't trade blood and soul types. Would be like tigers trading Richo or cotchin

Its only a matter of time before every club loses a blood and soul type. If a player wants out what can it do. A UFA can walk ..but a OOC player that wants out ..what choice does a club have? Very very few would walk out at Rich atm.. not after Deludio but every club will lose someone eventually... no matter how much the clubs wants to keep them.

It's almost like some Melbourne supporters have only started following player movement this season.

It's like they don't remember getting pick 3 compensation for Frawley the year after Hawthorn got pick 19 for Franklin. Because that's how FA compensation works.

It's interesting how they seem to not understand it just as there's talk of them losing a player for slight unders. I wonder if there's any connection there.

The AFL should remove all R1 comp , band1 should be end of R1

The AFL should remove all R1 comp , band1 should be end of R1
It would mean that a club like GC matches Richmond's offer for a guy like Tom Lynch and forces a trade. And that's not what the AFL (or the AFLPA) wants.

I don't mind reducing the additional compensation but I think the poaching club should have to cough up something in return. Like in the Lynch deal, Richmond's first-rounder automatically goes to the GC and then maybe GC get another pick at the end of the first round as well. It still works out OK for the GC, even though it's not pick 3. But Richmond have to put some skin in the game while still getting their player for clear unders. I think that would balance it out more without interfering with free movement for players who've earned FA status, although I'm not sure how you would scale that out in a way that is operable for all scenarios.

It would mean that a club like GC matches Richmond's offer for a guy like Tom Lynch and forces a trade. And that's not what the AFL (or the AFLPA) wants.

I don't mind reducing the additional compensation but I think the poaching club should have to cough up something in return. Like in the Lynch deal, Richmond's first-rounder automatically goes to the GC and then maybe GC get another pick at the end of the first round as well. It still works out OK for the GC, even though it's not pick 3. But Richmond have to put some skin in the game while still getting their player for clear unders. I think that would balance it out more without interfering with free movement for players who've earned FA status, although I'm not sure how you would scale that out in a way that is operable for all scenarios.

Id remove RFA as well ... 8 years is enough for all players

I think Melbourne supporters follow it a little closer than you do. Hawthorn couldn’t match Sydney’s huge contract for Buddy so hey no other choice but to accept pick 19.

Melbourne wouldn’t of got a better pick than pick 3 for Frawley, he was also un-restricted and we couldn’t match regardless.

Viney is restricted, Melbourne has the right to match if they want and force a trade. They want to keep Viney so they’ll have problem keeping him, if they can get better Compo via trade then they should get it.

I think Melbourne supporters follow it a little closer than you do.
And yet they seem determined to talk themselves into not getting it now there is the prospect of losing a player for less than they'd like. Either through wishful thinking or misunderstanding.

Hawthorn couldn’t match Sydney’s huge contract for Buddy so hey no other choice but to accept pick 19.

Melbourne wouldn’t of got a better pick than pick 3 for Frawley, he was also un-restricted and we couldn’t match regardless.

Viney is restricted, Melbourne has the right to match if they want and force a trade. They want to keep Viney so they’ll have problem keeping him, if they can get better Compo via trade then they should get it.
If he wants to leave, you'll get the compo. Surely that is the sensible presumption until we actually see a club match a FA bid and force a trade. That has never happened. And in this case you wouldn't even be getting shafted that bad. Assuming Band 1, which is likely given Viney's age, you'd get a pick in the middle of the first round. What are you hoping for beyond that?

None of this makes any assumption about whether he stays or goes. It's merely an account of what would likely happen if he sought to leave.

Compo has had the perverse outcome of clubs actively not re-signing players because they'd prefer the compo. Frawley is probably the most obvious one, pick #3 was ridiculous. Geelong gamed it to get a first rounder for Motlop and turn him into Gary Ablett. The Vickery deal stunk too.

Free Agency should allow the free movement and fair bidding on a player, not having a club basically making no effort to re-sign a player because they know the compo and would rather the draft pick. Not sure of the ins and outs of Brad Crouch leaving but if he turns into pick #2 or whatever that I've read somewhere, it should be the reason for an overhaul of this system.

And yet they seem determined to talk themselves into not getting it now there is the prospect of losing a player for less than they'd like. Either through wishful thinking or misunderstanding.

If he wants to leave, you'll get the compo. Surely that is the sensible presumption until we actually see a club match a FA bid and force a trade. That has never happened. And in this case you wouldn't even be getting shafted that bad. Assuming Band 1, which is likely given Viney's age, you'd get a pick in the middle of the first round. What are you hoping for beyond that?

None of this makes any assumption about whether he stays or goes. It's merely an account of what would likely happen if he sought to leave.
Clubs can match though.

Adelaide would of matched Dangerfield‘a accepted contract at Geelong, so Geelong and Adelaide worked out a trade before free agency. I’d say that is an example of a club matching a RFA, it just happened behind closed doors before an official free agency bid and match took place.

As for Viney, band 1/pick 10-12ish Melbourne would accept, band 2 end of first round I’d say Melbourne would match. If he goes to Geelong as rumoured, they have 3 picks in this current draft ahead of band 2.

regardless, I doubt Viney will be leaving. He’s always been passionate about the club and wants to lead by example, I highly doubt he’s the sort of guy to run off because he lost the captaincy. He’s got a new house in Brighton, a baby born this year, I doubt he’s moving his wife down to Geelong away from hers and his families.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back