Recommitted Jack Viney [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Few rumours doing the rounds that the Dees are actively shopping Viney around, with several clubs interested (including Carlton)

Incidentally, his Father, Todd, is leaving his post at the MFC, so that is adding fuel to the fire.

Personally I think Essendon could use a big bodied inside player like him, not sure how they can a deal done though, unless they trade Joe Daniher.

Few rumours doing the rounds that the Dees are actively shopping Viney around, with several clubs interested (including Carlton)

Incidentally, his Father, Todd, is leaving his post at the MFC, so that is adding fuel to the fire.

Personally I think Essendon could use a big bodied inside player like him, not sure how they can a deal done though, unless they trade Joe Daniher.
where are these supposed rumors flying around?

If Melb got a good offer I could see him move on, but doubt any club will offer what Melb would want for him....

To be fair to this rumour, out of all the ball winning mids at Melbourne I'd take Viney only before Jones - so Oliver, Harmes, Brayshaw and hopefully for their sake next year Petracca.

So there's opportunity for Melbourne to rebalance their list. Viney doesn't have the added strings to the bow that the others do - he's essentially comparable to Jack Steele as a tackling beast.

Most Melbourne fans won't hear a bad word about him due to his name and his toughness, but with the right trade deal it could seriously help address some weaknesses on their list (spread and skill) while not losing a strength due to absolute riches in those areas (contested ball mids).

Would love him at Carlton as he can add another inside body with toughness to help out Cripps and protect the youngsters while they continue to develop.

I'd back our program w/ Andrew Russell to get him conditioned.

I can't see the Dee's actively trading him though given his family connection, captaincy and the fact that he's regarded as the teachers pet if you beleive some of the players.

Would probably cost our 2020 first rounder ..... although I'm having flashbacks of trading with Melbourne for Brock McLean :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the right price, I would be happy to see Viney traded out. He's a surplus for our current needs, plus can only really play inside mid. This has pushed Brayshaw to be played as a wing / outside mid and saw his form suffer in 2019 because we HAVE to play Viney being a co-captain. I'd entertain it.

To be fair to this rumour, out of all the ball winning mids at Melbourne I'd take Viney only before Jones - so Oliver, Harmes, Brayshaw and hopefully for their sake next year Petracca.

So there's opportunity for Melbourne to rebalance their list. Viney doesn't have the added strings to the bow that the others do - he's essentially comparable to Jack Steele as a tackling beast.

Most Melbourne fans won't hear a bad word about him due to his name and his toughness, but with the right trade deal it could seriously help address some weaknesses on their list (spread and skill) while not losing a strength due to absolute riches in those areas (contested ball mids).
Melbourne does have the issue of an abundance of inside midfielders who aren't much use elsewhere on the field.
While I agree with both of these posts you do not trade your captain out if he doesn't want to go.

While I agree with both of these posts you do not trade your captain out if he doesn't want to go.
It doesn't need to be Jack Viney.

Brayshaw is your best clearance mid but he is played outside of the middle. Melbourne need outside run. I'd be floating the idea of trading Brayshaw for Whitfield if all sides were content.

It feels like there is four guys trying to squeeze in the back seat and the guy left out is having to learn how to drive to be in the car.

Funny. If you thought up a list of players who would never leave their clubs Viney would be near the top.

Would also be near the top of players that are very good, but wouldn't hurt their side much if they left.....(due to Melbourne's list profile)

For the right price, I would be happy to see Viney traded out. He's a surplus for our current needs, plus can only really play inside mid. This has pushed Brayshaw to be played as a wing / outside mid and saw his form suffer in 2019 because we HAVE to play Viney being a co-captain. I'd entertain it.

And his injuries seem relatively serious? Hasn't played to a high level for a few years now.

Fair few posters in here from other clubs immediately called out this rumour as BS because Viney is synonymous with Melbourne and is a co-captain, but i think seeing that quite a lot of Melbourne fans themselves would be open to trading him speaks volumes, and this rumour certainly could be true.

Oliver & Brayshaw are better players in similar inside mid roles. Given their season this year there could be question marks on his leadership/captaincy credentials anyway.

I doubt Melbourne would actively push him out, but can certainly believe they've raised his name in discussions with other clubs, just to see what kind of offers they could get and whether any are of interest. He's no longer an untouchable that he was a few years ago.

I doubt Melbourne would actively push him out, but can certainly believe they've raised his name in discussions with other clubs, just to see what kind of offers they could get and whether any are of interest. He's no longer an untouchable that he was a few years ago.

It's no different from the Brad Crouch/Wines talk.

While the club can put up a public facade and declare players are off-limits due to captaincy, need, long-standing traditions ... the reality is that everything is for sale, so they would be happy for his management to source a few suitors and come back to them with a price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back