Recommitted Jack Viney [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait to read countless FA articles this year referencing overused terms such as 'contested ball beast' and 'the guts'. Can see St Kilda being interested in him.

Hope Carlton are looking at him closely as a FA.

Melbourne don’t need his type that much IMO and given that his father is no longer there and he has since been demoted as captain, there might be some pull to leave.

Lord knows we could do with his toughness.

He's a very good footballer, we just don't see that often enough because he's injury prone.

Looked excellent early on but hasn't reached those heights and probably never will.

I'd be surprised if he's playing elsewhere in 2021. There may well be offers but none big enough to pry him out of Demonland IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He decided to stop down from the captaincy so he could concentrate on getting his body right and playing good footy. Not sure how much improvement is in him though.

I’m struggling to find a team that’d be interested in him.

Essendon still need an inside mid, and I could see them offering him a decent deal (maybe pair him with Wines? Get the band back together). They’ll have a heap of room if Daniher leaves, but that doesn’t solve their current and future KPP needs.

I can see Carlton showing some interest, but I doubt he’s high on our priorities with Setterfield partnering Cripps and Kemp in the pipeline. I don’t think he’s the kind of player we really go after on a big contract.

Gold Coast is an obvious option, but it feels a little off. They’ve also just drafted a younger, more talented version in Rowell.

Realistically he’s gunning for the biggest contract of his career and given his output and injury issues to date clubs will be wary of throwing a lot of money at him. He’s certainly a handy player, but not a star, and definitely not the centrepiece of squad. Melbourne would be pretty confident of signing him, pending their own form.

LOL WHAT?

That’s all pretty easy to understand. We have the best inside mid in the comp and Setterfield will play as a permanent midfielder this year, plus Kemp to come through, Dow’s midfield minutes to increase and Ed Curnow still playing in there too. Then JSOS and Kennedy pinch hitting. An inside midfielder is not a priority, and Viney isn’t a star worthy of a big contract.

We’re far better served going after Papley again, and we’re much more likely to land him this time with Daniher out of contract at the end of the year to facilitate Sydney picking him up.

Viney isn't slow. Can't kick and is one dimensional, but definitely not slow.

Covered the ground worse than Brock McLean though last year. Was the equivalent of Anthony Miles.

Have a feeling Gawn has made him look better than he is and is achance to fall out of the side this year with Petracca becoming a go to mid along with Oliver. The demons will get more value out of playing two way runners like Harmes in the midfield over Viney imo

Covered the ground worse than Brock McLean though last year. Was the equivalent of Anthony Miles.

Have a feeling Gawn has made him look better than he is and is achance to fall out of the side this year with Petracca becoming a go to mid along with Oliver. The demons will get more value out of playing two way runners like Harmes in the midfield over Viney imo

He had no pre-season last year, this year he has.

Viney is a two way runner.

When healthy is a good solid inside midfielder that can have really good games.

However you do get the feeling that if Melbourne's midfield was fully healthy there may not be a spot for him.
-Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw plus Petracca, Harmes, Jones and there isn't much space left for Viney unless you want to play Petracca/Jones up forward.

When healthy is a good solid inside midfielder that can have really good games.

However you do get the feeling that if Melbourne's midfield was fully healthy there may not be a spot for him.
-Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw plus Petracca, Harmes, Jones and there isn't much space left for Viney unless you want to play Petracca/Jones up forward.

Based on 2019 Jones is done. Going to be painstakingly obvious ala Vince and Lewis these past two years

Viney I believe has just done his first full pre season. Unfortunately that foot injury lingered on. But whilst he’s not lightning quick like Jayden Hunt he’s quiet pacy. Particularly in close. Kicked it also better on the weekend but it’s definitely not his strength. He’s a pure inside mid who makes those around him stand taller when he’s at his best. See 2018 finals.

Another Nathan Jones-style B+ player. Very good, but not a star.

Can't see him leaving as he wouldn't get offered much more than the Dees will pay him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back