Jack Watts to be named AA this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As no-one was answering my question, I just checked the Port board and someone said they should "just cut their losses and get rid of him because he's a liability".

Why would they say that ? Were they watching a different game to you ?
No clue and not interested in arguing about it, but blaming Jack Watts after a loss is hardly new ground.

18 goals in 19 games and no finals again for poor old Jack.

I like the guy but he was never magically going to become elite at a new environment.

18 goals in 19 games and no finals again for poor old Jack.

I like the guy but he was never magically going to become elite at a new environment.

He was ruined from the day he got drafted and 'developed' by you guys. A bit like the guy that shares your user name.

I was really hoping Watts would turn into a more consistent player at Port. I want him to succeed.

He was ruined from the day he got drafted and 'developed' by you guys. A bit like the guy that shares your user name.

Very harsh to compare Watts to Sylvia.

Watts at least has the excuse of being a schoolboy with a lot of hype around him being put into the worse team in the comp and debuting on his clubs biggest stage v a fierce contender that would finish top 4 that year and win a flag the next.
It was incredibly horrible mismanagement to throw him to the wolves.

Sylvia was a flog, very unprofessional, and his first 3 seasons in the comp Melbourne played finals 3 years in a row.

Sylvia has no one to blame but himself. Watts you can at least form an argument it's 50-50

Very harsh to compare Watts to Sylvia.

Watts at least has the excuse of being a schoolboy with a lot of hype around him being put into the worse team in the comp and debuting on his clubs biggest stage v a fierce contender that would finish top 4 that year and win a flag the next.
It was incredibly horrible mismanagement to throw him to the wolves.

Sylvia was a flog, very unprofessional, and his first 3 seasons in the comp Melbourne played finals 3 years in a row.

Sylvia has no one to blame but himself. Watts you can at least form an argument it's 50-50

Not comparing at all. I just think Melbourne's player development and leadership really sucked before the Paul Roos era. So much wasted talent. Why are their supporters coming in here and laying in the boot to a guy who was mismanaged by their own team? I have no idea, especially when they dont acknowledge their team should share some blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What rubbish

Our drafting and development was obviously poor, but to insinuate these guys failed because of that is a joke. They both went to other clubs, and both are complete busts. Just like maric when he went to Richmond for 10 games, blease to geelong, Morton to wesr coast.. seeing a trend?

If not I'll point it out- all first round draft picks taken by Melbourne who went elsewhere and were rubbish too.

Not comparing at all. I just think Melbourne's player development and leadership really sucked before the Paul Roos era. So much wasted talent. Why are their supporters coming in here and laying in the boot to a guy who was mismanaged by their own team? I have no idea, especially when they dont acknowledge their team should share some blame.
Isn't that the point though? You won't meet a Melbourne fan who thinks we developed him properly at the beginning, we're taking exception to those who thought it was a Goodwin problem and that he'd miraculously be 'de-Melbourned' and even be an AA at Port.

This thread didn’t age all that well, but I’ve often thought it takes at least a year for players to settle at new clubs. For a couple of reasons; One for them to adjust to new playing styles, the other for teams to really work out how to really use their strengths.

Jack would be better served in a high half forward/wing role. He does have an excellent kick, plus has the athleticism to move up & down the ground. I’d be trying to get the ball in his hands coming off half back, then encourage him to push forward hard to provide an extra option. If he is willing to work hard I don’t see any reason why he can’t have a really good year.

Chucking him as a 2nd tall in Ports setup really doesn’t work- he’s never going to be a contested mark. It’s just not who he is.

He just looks slow

He thinks slow

He kicks slow

His handballs look slowly

He’s improved and yes he’ll end up playing 200 games plus but all Australian....oh please deary me

He's not injured. I guess that's something he is good at.
Ild take naitanui on one leg....

But Jack has only specifically excelled at one role. Being an ok floating defender wont work if you cant do anything else and Port have two players better at it then Watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back