No Oppo Supporters Jack Watts - Traded to PA for pick 31, Thanks Jack

Jack Watts?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be very interesting to see how he fares at Port as he enters what I believe will be, or at least should be, his best years as a player.

I'm torn on the decision. Overall I'd rather have kept him than given him away for a pretty measly pick as his quality leaves a gap in our collective skillset. He is also in fact rated as elite for forward pressure, though I understand that doesn't pass the eye test some weeks.

By the same token his down weeks were clearly not of an acceptable standard to the coaching group and they are hell bent on setting standards for the younger players.

So I can understand the reasons to be in favour of the move. What I can't understand is to be so emotionally detached that you're not the least bit saddened by it.

Watts wasn't an ordinary player by any stretch. Yes, he was part of the generation that symbolised previous failures. However his rise under Roos' tutelage coincided with the club's rise. In an emotional sense he has been the central figure to the MFC's plight. Good times and and bad. For him to be moved on now is ultimately, at a very basic level, sad.

It's okay to put the club first, but if you're not saddened by this whatsoever then I can't help but feel you've missed out on a large chunk of what it has meant to be a Melbourne supporter over the past decade.
I am a little saddened by what has transpired with Watts, and I agree that he has been a central figure to the MFC's plight over the last decade. But there is the point: in that decade there has been no success whatsoever. Not one final. So when it comes to good times and bad times, there were only really bad times as the only good times that really count are the ones Richmond supporters are lapping up now. Let alone finals appearances. And making finals just to lose them really sucks too, I can remember that much from over ten years ago.

This year threatened to bring good times, but ultimately the team wasn't capable of ruthlessly booking a finals spot. Near enough was good enough until it was unfortunately, not good enough. Does this remind you of anyone? Through nine years very much central to the MFC's plight.

I don’t think you get it mate. Says a lot that instead of responding to the opinion you throw a tantrum about a bloke who captained the club and put in for almost all of his career at 100%. The bloke literally had to stop playing because his body was ****** from playing for Melbourne

Yet here you are throwing another tantrum because he spoke about why the club traded watts, how dare a bloke who actually gave to the club pot someone who put in for a year of a 9 year career.

And let’s just forget that Lyon still actually has mates at Melbourne. Bloke obviously has no idea.

No tantrum thrown whatsoever, just have absolutely no time for Garry Lyon, thats all.

At the end of the day the club is bigger than Jack Watts, I get it, and i actually do understand the reasons we traded him, just because i dont like it, doesn't mean i dont understand where Goodwin is coming from.

If i can get over Allen Jakovich joining the Bulldogs I'm pretty sure i can get over Watts joining the Power.

I am a little saddened by what has transpired with Watts, and I agree that he has been a central figure to the MFC's plight over the last decade. But there is the point: in that decade there has been no success whatsoever. Not one final. So when it comes to good times and bad times, there were only really bad times as the only good times that really count are the ones Richmond supporters are lapping up now. Let alone finals appearances. And making finals just to lose them really sucks too, I can remember that much from over ten years ago.

This year threatened to bring good times, but ultimately the team wasn't capable of ruthlessly booking a finals spot. Near enough was good enough until it was unfortunately, not good enough. Does this remind you of anyone? Through nine years very much central to the MFC's plight.
I take your point and when I refer to "good times" I mean relatively speaking. Good times compared to the fisting we've endured in previous years.

Watts wasn't the reason we missed finals this year. I think even alluding to that is a misrepresentation of what happened. Will moving him on be a net gain in the mentality of the playing group? We wait and see.

Goodwin would damn sure want to be playing finals next season.

So old mate Wigg from Adelaide. Yet to debut. Was traded for a pick 8 picks worse than Jack Watts. We really, really wanted him gone.

I'm not even against getting rid of him, but why did we do it the way we did? I really don't get why. Broadcasted it all and seemingly deliberately lowered his value. Players with 0 games' experience are basically valued the same as what we got. Surely deserves some scrutiny. It won't happen, but jeepers.

Would we just have delisted him if we didn't get a trade done? Seems like it, with the way we handled it.

Big call from Goodwin IMO. If we get off to a rocky start next year, the 'full support of the board' talk will start early with him I think, correct or not.
Yeah lets not include the other 2 picks adelaide threw in with him

No tantrum thrown whatsoever, just have absolutely no time for Garry Lyon, thats all.

At the end of the day the club is bigger than Jack Watts, I get it, and i actually do understand the reasons we traded him, just because i dont like it, doesn't mean i dont understand where Goodwin is coming from.

If i can get over Allen Jakovich joining the Bulldogs I'm pretty sure i can get over Watts joining the Power.
So you understand What Lyon said. But you cracked it because he hasn’t met some random line of minimum input to club/you judge based on rumours?

Nothing against you for posting this or your own opinion whatsoever TK, you know i respect what you think, but....

The last person's opinion i give a s**t about is Garry Lyon's, who has done sweet fa for the club since retiring except for that one time his hand was forced when his best mate Jim was on his death bed. Far be it for Garry to point the finger and say someone else didn't give their all to the MFC.

Stay in the safety of your steady income on media street, Garry, take your pot shots at players who you wouldn't know jack s**t about other than what you hear via second hand information. You're really not that much different to any of us who post on big footy at the end of the day, the only difference being you have a larger platform to voice your opinion.

Jack as far as i know has never porked his best mates ex missus, at least he can walk with his head held high knowing he isn't a selfish campaigner of a human being.

Go and **** yourself,

Sincerely

Alldat

I wouldn't care if he had stayed but I don't subscribe to the MFC is falling apart because he left. We will be fine.

As for Gaz. Just another bloke with an opinion but I don't disagree with it on this occasion

All good Rude, agree on most things but maybe not this one.

Last edited:
He never kicked 5. First match for Port he will.

This is certain. It is the way of Melbourneing.
f3c1ddbd2d53336899ca2a1d83fb09c29f90ae370047cedc0f8c3f2cf7c4b4e9.jpg

Lyon gave more to Melbourne than watts ever did. He owed the club NOTHING when he retired and people need to stop expecting past players to be involved. 95% aren’t. Yet it’s only mentioned by nuffies who want to try and create straw men to discredit opinion

We get it. You love watts.

.... I'm not sure you do get it give ADPs history on Watts

I don’t even know who he is, let alone his history

Exactly mate - best to leave assumptions out of it.

My 2 cents is I dont place much value on what Garry Lyon says or does - gun and brave footballer or not.

Most people in the media arent worth listening to on opinion - only news

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take your point and when I refer to "good times" I mean relatively speaking. Good times compared to the fisting we've endured in previous years.

Watts wasn't the reason we missed finals this year. I think even alluding to that is a misrepresentation of what happened. Will moving him on be a net gain in the mentality of the playing group? We wait and see.

Goodwin would damn sure want to be playing finals next season.
I'm not saying Watts was the reason we missed finals. I'm not an anti-Watts fanatic. For many reasons I feel for the bloke. He couldn't have been drafted at a worse time for a young talent to be developed by the MFC. Despite this, his talent almost saw him through to play a role in a finals team (but for a spectacular capitulation from both him and the team). The timing of this trade would be brutal for him.

But since his drafting at #1, he's always represented more than just a player. The media speculation and opposition fans' taunts just heightened the emotion around him for us dees fans. We wanted him to succeed more to shove it up them. So much of this was out of Watts' control. But the footy department has made the call that he wasn't doing enough about the things he could control. I suppose only time will tell if it was the right call. But I read the decision as Goodwin and co. not wanting to put up with Watts and the baggage he brings as much as anything else.

You can also see it as giving Watts a fresh chance to achieve his potential, although be it at a new club. No matter how resilient a bloke he is (and he has proven himself resilient throughout his time at MFC), the hysteria around him and his performance would have surely impacted him in some ways. Now he is free from most of the baggage he had as a #1 pick at the MFC and it is up to him to succeed. I hope he doesn't feel like he is owed anything by the club or anyone, because at the end of the day, he is a #1 pick whose market value is now pick 31 in a weak draft. That is his market value. The club didn't flog him off to Port just to spite him. That was the best deal available. So when you look at it like that, losing a player that's worth that much shouldn't be as upsetting as it appears to be for many posters on this board.

My 2 cents is I dont place much value on what Garry Lyon says or does - gun and brave footballer or not.

Well his attack was very random then. The only logical conclusion I could draw was he needed to defend watts somehow

Lyon has two pretty strong connections at the club currently. He’s not a random just making up stuff.

My comments about Lyon as a footballer was just a response to the implication that Lyon hadn’t done enough for the club to comment.

So you understand What Lyon said. But you cracked it because he hasn’t met some random line of minimum input to club/you judge based on rumours?
`
as i said, you dont understand, we have history, Garry Lyon never posted out my VFL Squadron Card on my 8th birthday, i will take this to my grave.

Let Tim assume, mate, i have gathered he likes assuming.

Anyone else find themselves rooting for Port some now? Goddamn I'm so angry at how Goodwin handled Watts this year. This S hit started in Feb, Goodwin has been all negative on Jack from day 1. Look what Roos did for Watts, he was damn near AA in 2016 and Goodwin is just not the people person Roos is. He better bloody win a final next year else I'll be calling for his head. Time will tell if we're better with or without Watts, but what i do know is he was one of my faves and to see him treated the way he was by Melbourne leaves me sick. It also drove down his trade value with other clubs knowing we wanted him gone. Just terrible management by Goodwin and i guess to a lesser extent Mahoney. Anyways end rant, go dees and if we don't win a premiership next year I'll be going for Port. Go Jack! :p

Comparison alert: We picked up Bernie for a similar price 5 years ago at the end of 2013. Bernie of 2013 was both a better player and in a similar situation of being forced out.

The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with it. Will always have time for him, but at the same time, I understand the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back