Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you want to know ?

If you watched the game closely it was all there for you to see.

It was a typical Watts game. I've seen 154 of them. What did you expect ?
Didnt expect 6 genuine goal scoring shots and 20 touches lol . Goodwin dropping no.1 draft picks at 27 yrs old lol. Where was he in dees bnf before he was out injured last year???? Honestly would love to know

Aaaaaand

tyson and brayshaw out before wagner and maynard too .....

Paul Roos believed in Jack and he still picked and chose when he wanted to turn it on. If Jack does well this season then imo it validates Goody’s decision to trade him, the MFC invested substantial time and resources in developing Watts and to turn it on for Port would certainly cement the view of many that he never really gave his all for the club.

Mate, I reckon this is completely wrong.

He's the same player, with the same attributes - and he'll still frustrate some no doubt.

But having a coach that believes in him has always made a difference.

Goody didn't value his good attributes as highly as he valued the stuff he wasn't as good at, Ken Hinkley does and I think he'll be a pretty good player for them - like he was for us under Roos.

Lmao. He's been at Melbourne a decade and never been a place getter in the best and fairest. Trading the bloke and seeing rise in performance would not only vindicate that move but also show how he didn't respect Melbourne enough to do it here.

I don't wish him poor but I'm not gonna celebrate one of the blokes who was involved in us being s**t for a decade

I think that's pretty wrong.

I think if Roos was still coach, he would still be here and he would have had another good year last year.

That said, Goody has the right to create his own team - hopefully he knows what he's doing.

Didnt expect 6 genuine goal scoring shots and 20 touches lol . Goodwin dropping no.1 draft picks at 27 yrs old lol. Where was he in dees bnf before he was out injured last year???? Honestly would love to know

Aaaaaand

tyson and brayshaw out before wagner and maynard too .....
Tyson and Brayshaw are underdone, but wouldn't expect you to have a clue

I understand the want to wish a player well when they leave your club in unusual or difficult circumstances.... but I am surprised to see any Melbourne supporter calm about seeing Watts do well at Port or actually cheer him along.

I'm interested to see how Impey, Trengove and Young do this season. I really hope they do well and I really hope people don't boo them when they come here. Especially Jacko.

This is Big Footy at its best. Jack Watts has probably been the most criticised player since his debut in 2009. Big Footy has levelled him every single year in multiple threads and postings. It’s more than ironic that now, after one game against a bottom 4 side (most likely), that he is being embraced and lauded for his efforts and that for some reason Melbourne has a ‘poor culture’ for not facilitating these performances on a regular basis.

To all the righteous campaigners who feel the need to get the boots into our posters and our club, let it be known that for 7 years Jack Watts produced sub standard football for our club when as a top pick, we needed him. As our culture shifted under Roos, he started to break out a bit more, but typically produced more half baked efforts in the second half of 2017 to warrant being pulled up on it.

There is nothing unusual about his efforts yesterday, id like to see him produce that against a top 4 side away from Port Adelaide. He also has a mature Westhoff and Dixon supporting him by being the third tall, something Melbourne didn’t have. When we needed him to help us build a forward line, he wasn’t able to.

Watts is Watts. A handy third tall forward who is a smart and skilled player but will potentially go missing when the heat is on. One game out of 23 and the righteous keyboard warriors have had their two cents contribution.

For a team that was unable to beat anyone in the top 8 last year and who choked in their home elimination final, Watts will fit right in when the heat gets turned up.

Either stick to your opinions about Watts (which we’ve seen from you armchair critics for a decade), or keep quiet.

I think that's pretty wrong.

I think if Roos was still coach, he would still be here and he would have had another good year last year.

That said, Goody has the right to create his own team - hopefully he knows what he's doing.

Mate it's always been someone else's fault that Jack Watts hasn't lived up to his potential. At 27 a leader would take responsibility for himself and Jack wouldn't do that. Of course things could have gone differently for him but if he stands in front of the mirror and looks himself in the eye he won't be able to say he gave 100% to being the best he could be at Melbourne.

Mate, I reckon this is completely wrong.

He's the same player, with the same attributes - and he'll still frustrate some no doubt.

But having a coach that believes in him has always made a difference.

Goody didn't value his good attributes as highly as he valued the stuff he wasn't as good at, Ken Hinkley does and I think he'll be a pretty good player for them - like he was for us under Roos.

Also in answer to the Hinkley Goodwin thing, sure he was good for Roos in a pretty crap team. Look at the difference between Adelaide and Richmond last year, Richmond has 22 blokes fighting tooth and nail while Adelaide had some players who look brilliant when on but struggle when it's not going well for them. Watts is that player.

Don’t really care what he was at Melbourne or what Melbourne fans think of him. Can only judge him on how he’s playing at Port and apart from a couple of missed goal he was superb yesterday.

I have watched quite a lot of him at Melbourne, but I never knew he actually had the ability to take on 3/4 players surrounding him in a pack and find a perfect handball out to a team mate. This happened multiple times yesterday up the ground on the wing.

I literally thought he was just a roaming half forward flanker who couldn’t take contested marks and was a good kick and good set shot at goal. He has showed a lot more than that in JLT and this 1st match so hopefully he can keep it up. He seems a lot happier and has a far reduced expectation on his role. Looks like he’ll thrive.

I'm interested to see how Impey, Trengove and Young do this season. I really hope they do well and I really hope people don't boo them when they come here. Especially Jacko.
I really hope Trengove does well for you guys but unfortunately his foot has made him too slow for AFL.
You can thank the Melbourne medical team for mismanagaging his foot. If I was McDonald or Viney I'd be seeking outside treatment due the clubs poor record of treating/managing foot injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope Trengove does well for you guys but unfortunately his foot has made him too slow for AFL.
You can thank the Melbourne medical team for mismanagaging his foot. If I was McDonald or Viney I'd be seeking outside treatment due the clubs poor record of treating/managing foot injuries.
I'd be surprised if he gets a game he was picked up more as an experienced head for the maggies as we lost umpteen players last year

Don’t really care what he was at Melbourne or what Melbourne fans think of him. Can only judge him on how he’s playing at Port and apart from a couple of missed goal he was superb yesterday.

I have watched quite a lot of him at Melbourne, but I never knew he actually had the ability to take on 3/4 players surrounding him in a pack and find a perfect handball out to a team mate. This happened multiple times yesterday up the ground on the wing.

I literally thought he was just a roaming half forward flanker who couldn’t take contested marks and was a good kick and good set shot at goal. He has showed a lot more than that in JLT and this 1st match so hopefully he can keep it up. He seems a lot happier and has a far reduced expectation on his role. Looks like he’ll thrive.
Mate, outside of the media there hasn't been a crazy expectation on him since Roos arrived. The club and supporters were perfectly happy with his 2016 standard which was semi-consistent good not great performances. Turns out Jack was happy with his performance as well because he enjoyed his holiday that year a little too much and had a poor pre-season which annoyed the coaches and his team mates.

If being booted from the club was the kick up the arse he needed then so be it, but give us a little credit, no one at Melbourne has expected him to turn into Wayne Carey for years.

I hope he goes well, if he works hard at Port he deserves his success. I have no doubt that he needed a change though (kick up the bum) to really go up a notch - we'll see how he goes.

After years of mismanagement he went into a bit of a comfort zone under Roos. Played ok here and there but ultimately his preparation and body meant he was sporadic and his bad was very bad.

Goodwin didn't tolerate this I guess and given how keen he was to ship him off after being head coach for 1 year is interesting.

With Jack and Tommy there and Kochie pulling the strings in the background I think I might like Port this year. :D

Using that culture line is dog s**t. Nathan Jones went all right, Tom Scully turned out ok. Neville Jetta and Max Gawn been there a whole and been AAs. Oliver Petracca Hogan etc.

Loving the football club doesn't mean he puts in 100% effort on the field or the training. It's very well known at Melbourne he would do the minimum and never any more. He had a very successful business and he was loved by everyone. He was always happy to be a good player at Melbourne and he never took the time or effort to try and become a great. He's 27 and he's never placed in our Best and Fairest despite his obvious talents and our putrid teams

Port fans can rub it in our faces all they want but if he plays well over there it just vindicates he needed a change
Those are different players, maybe the culture and environment Watts needed wasn’t at Melbourne

Did you see his tackling and attack pn the footy at ground level?
Jack has days where you can see his effort, such as what you're referencing, and then there are days where that effort is sorely lacking. That Jack rose to the occasion in his first game for Port in front of his new fans is hardly surprising.

He played 153 games for Melbourne, so it's fair to say I've seen a bit more of him than you. Watts' attributes have been widely discussed for a decade. You need to appreciate that Watts was marched out the door not just because of his on-field inconsistency. He was marched out the door for cultural reasons. He's a half dedicated footballer that didn't do the "extras". Football wasn't the be all and end all for him. He was popular, but also considered a bad influence on the young players. Turning up to preseason training unfit was the final nail in his coffin. inside a football club the mob work you out. They know Jack and they know his influence and it wasn't considered to be great among the younger group. THIS was the main reason he was let go. We have the most players in the competition aged between 21-24 and Watts didn't have the mindset that was wanted among this group.

We've watched him for 9 years and over 150 games. Watts may be new to Port fans, but nothing he does is a revealation To Melbourne fans.

Those are different players, maybe the culture and environment Watts needed wasn’t at Melbourne

Come on mate thats just crap. 'Culture he needed'. Melbourne gave him everything he needed and more and he never finished in our best and fairest. Tell me how someone who is so talented can't place in the worst team of the decade excluding the expansion teams.

Dean Terlich and Matt Jones placed 2nd and 3rd in our BNF in 2012. Both delisted a couple years later. I know he's your player now so your going to spend the next x amount of years defending him like we did but you've gotta wonder why we were happy to offload him for a nothing pick and pay his salary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back