Jack Watts

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like I have time to look back pages for subtle irony! I just wanted to drive it home that Melbourne is crap, has been crap for decades and will be crap for decades to come.

A couple of slightly less crap games has dissolved into two inches off a loss to Gold Coast in possibly the worst game of all time.

As far as Watts is concerned, are you seriously trying to blame an excess of AFL experience at a young age for season after season of complete garbage output? Your right in as much as he is about the lvl now he should have been 100 games ago.
'Beggining his climb' ******* hilarious!
Classic hawks supporter with no clue. Started watching footy this year!

Highly skilled, good decision maker, high football IQ....

Good to see he is finally starting to show something. He will never reach expectations but could become a good consistent best 22 player.

Sorry, but I think that is crap.
He is a seriously good footballer and is judged harshly for a decision made by his club.
Why does he always get shot down just because he was drafted at 1?

I would have him at Hawthorn tomorrow.

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Examples?

Go watch a game and you'll see it numerous times. He regularly skirts around the packs and just takes that split second to commit to a contest that the tough players go in for without hesitation.

Anyway I'm agreeing with everyone here that it's good to see he is finally contributing some of that talent that he promised as a junior and good on him.

Laverde2Smack

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry, but I think that is crap.
He is a seriously good footballer and is judged harshly for a decision made by his club.
Why does he always get shot down just because he was drafted at 1?

I would have him at Hawthorn tomorrow.

Read my post, man. I listed a number of positive attributes. Unfortunately, he lacks in one - hardness.

I think what the Essendon fans are saying is that he doesn't split open packs like most key forwards of his size and ability do.

I don't disagree, but it's hardly a knock on him. You can be effective without bringing the ball to ground at all costs. I wish Paddy was a little more 'soft' in this regard.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Wish I could be like
Wish wish
Wish I could be like
Wish wish
Wish I could be like

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think what the Essendon fans are saying is that he doesn't split open packs like most key forwards of his size and ability do.

I don't disagree, but it's hardly a knock on him. You can be effective without bringing the ball to ground at all costs. I wish Paddy was a little more 'soft' in this regard.

He used to be piss weak, this year hes been alot better in the contest
He will never be the guy who crashes packs because hes too smart for his own good sometimes, he plays his percentages differently to a traditional key forward but he has been harder this year and I think he will be harder next year

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
Go watch a game and you'll see it numerous times. He regularly skirts around the packs and just takes that split second to commit to a contest that the tough players go in for without hesitation.

Anyway I'm agreeing with everyone here that it's good to see he is finally contributing some of that talent that he promised as a junior and good on him.
You need to take your own advice.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
You haven't answered my question. There's nothing really worse than an individual who not only feels the need to gloat, but also who needs to pay out other clubs with such vitriol and disdain. The thing is, you know no-one can use the same line of narrative against Hawthorn, so it shows you're pretty soft at the core or have very low self esteem.

You're probably fat, or were fat, got picked on a lot at school because you couldn't compete in athletics very well, were the last picked in any side, and were the person who was chased in tiggy and tagged the most.

I mean, even now, you might have no luck with the opposite sex because all you can discuss is how wonderful your hawks are, and you're probably pretty unpopular with your friends because you're a gloater and literally guzzle the gravy from the gravy train.

William Wonka being your name sort of implies that you love your Tucker, and probably love your confectionary as well.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

He will never be the guy who crashes packs because hes too smart for his own good sometimes, he plays his percentages differently to a traditional key forward but he has been harder this year and I think he will be harder next year

He's not a key forward though

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Really? He's rucking this year. It takes commitment to the aerial contest to fly at the centre bounce.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

Seems to work for guys like Watts and Jack Gunston. Sometimes the smarter play is the "soft" play.

coerced

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems to work for guys like Watts and Jack Gunston. Sometimes the smarter play is the "soft" play.
Can't think of any Hawks key forwards of the past 10 years who have "crashed packs". Roughead most likely but more likely to crumb a goal. The true pack crashed at Hawthorn is probably Puopulo.

Crashing packs means kicking to a contest. Not a winning formula.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Can't think of any Hawks key forwards of the past 10 years who have "crashed packs". Roughead most likely but more likely to crumb a goal. The true pack crashed at Hawthorn is probably Puopulo.

Crashing packs means kicking to a contest. Not a winning formula.

Yeah it's a bit of an antiquated "necessity".

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
"I love Melbourne and can't accept any negative criticism of any of my boys".
Firstly, the fact you've set him the target of becoming a "good consistent best 22 player" proves you don't have a ******* clue what you're talking about. He arguably passed that benchmark last season.

Secondly, it's tiresome reading dribble from posters who can't bring themselves to compliment Watts without adding a caveat. "Happy for him...but he's still soft". It's ingenuine. It's petty. And it's wrong.

Laverde2Smack

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn't say he is soft. If you can't conduct a rational debate, devoid of obvious emotion, you shouldn't enter into the discussion..

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
He is soft though, similar to a Vickery in his attack on the pill. He just has that split second of hesitation when he's around the ball at times. Not sure why all the offended from supporters, just be happy that he's starting to play consistent good footy...

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
I didn't say he is soft.
He generally doesn't go that hard at the footy.

You have players that attack the ball like their life depends on that particular result.

...Then you have Jack Watts.
Nah you didn't say he's soft :rolleyes:

He is soft though, similar to a Vickery in his attack on the pill. He just has that split second of hesitation when he's around the ball at times.
As previously said, this was the case in previous years, definitely not this year though. If you haven't watched him, which you clearly haven't, don't comment.

Back