Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Stranger_Things_logo.png

This is quoted from a Melbourne poster Amarula in our closed trade part 1 thread. Sorry I don't know how to bring the quote over other than to copy and paste:

"He's elite in other stats that may be surprising, given the criticisms he gets:
* Second in the comp for % of entries inside f50 that result in the team retaining possession - so he's elite for hitting targets inside f50.
* Second in the comp for pressure acts and pressure points per game in the forward line (this includes both positive use of the ball when he's under pressure, and putting enough pressure on oppo players to stuff up their use of the ball). His detractors at Melbourne say he doesn't tackle much or effectively; they think "pressure acts" are worthless stats.
* In the top 5 in the comp for % of one-on-one contests won (some Melbourne supporters would say that's because he picks & chooses, and there's some truth in this; he tends to hold back from contests that he doesn't think he's gonna win).
* Very high up (not sure exactly where) for accuracy of set shots. Most Melbourne supporters, even those who hate his guts, would say he's the guy you'd want with the ball in his hands if you were less than a goal down in the last minute of the GF.
* When fit, he's usually in the top 5 or 6 at Melbourne for ground covered during a game. Or was before 2017 season.

He's also good at finding space, very fast over the first 20m for his size. But what Melbourne could never do is lower their eyes and hit him up when he was in space. For much of his time there, a 30m pass would miss him by 5m. Melbourne also never understood kicking into space, or kicking to your teammate's advantage in a contest. And he's great at developing a synergy with other forwards, especially ones like Garlett & Hogan (so, Wingard & Robbie Gray) who can see 3 moves ahead, and at bringing others into the game.

So the Adelaide-Tom-Lynch role, basically. If you want an aggressive tall like Charlie Dixon, he's not the guy. He's not good at contesting long bombs to the hot-spot, and he's not good at "crashing packs" (but you've got Dixon & Ryder to do that). If you believe that the ideal player is Jack Viney and that every player should play the game like Viney does, he'll frustrate the hell out of you, like he did many Melbourne supporters. A poll on Demonland had 70% wanting to keep him and 30% happy to see the last of him."

Requesting gif version of this for my new avatar Alyx

Apparently Port Power did some really lame powerpoint preso for Jack Watts to convince him to play for them. No word of a lie, it went something like this: Slide 1: "PORT POWER FORWARD LINE" ... Slide 2: "WESTHOFF"...Slide 3: "DIXON"...Slide 4: "WAAATTTTSSSSS" with a big zoom into Watts with power guernsey on. Could that mob get any more lame? Lol

I know people think I'm taking the mick but this is actually what went down according to JW.

Watts had the pressure of being a Vic Metro kid getting drafted #1 overall to a basket case of a club who at that time, couldn't develop anyone into anything substantial. Watts was the whipping boy for a long time there, largely because of the lofty expectations that were placed on him when he got drafted. Remember, he was meant to be the new face of that club, a potential future captain who would be the cornerstone of the team for the next 10 years.

Sure, he wasn't that. But if you take out the expectation and strictly look at his production only, his past 2 years in particular have been quite good. His pressure and disposal leading to inside 50s, along with his converting of set shots, is elite. It's exactly what our forward line has lacked this past season.

We're not bringing in Watts to be the leader of the club. We've already got those pieces in place. Instead, he's going to be able to do his role, one which is tailor made for him. Having the pressure lifted from him is going to do him wonders.

Welcome to Alberton, Jack.

Played a cracking game earlier this yr i think it was v Collingwood were he kicked a gl late to put them in front then took a mark in defence to seal it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is quoted from a Melbourne poster Amarula in our closed trade part 1 thread. Sorry I don't know how to bring the quote over other than to copy and paste:

".... For much of his time there, a 30m pass would miss him by 5m. ...."
He'll be right at home at Ports :oops:

you are a lucky man Jack, congratulations and welcome to Alberton, may your stay here be laced with premierships

I'm so happy for all involved, but particularly for Watts. I think he'll really come of age here and we'll be right behind him.

He made the toughest call available to him in terms of moving states, and he's backed us as much as we've backed him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back