Jacko

Remove this Banner Ad

So where has this grand plan got him in life? Maybe try a different act?

So have you. Please elaborate (and/or on Sheahan's title as "king muckraker").

Sheahan's been around the game and the league for - what - over 40 years? Who's better credentialed to do this show? Jon Ralph? Mark Robinson?

Basil Zempilas

My point (to you and to Jackson) is a vague reference to Sheahan being some sort of hatchet man once upon a time out is hardly going to convince me, or many others from my generation. If Jackson had a legitimate gripe about Sheahan, he wold have been better served producing the articles that he was referring to, or quoting directly them, rather than just lumping Sheahan in with everyone else in the media. For all his huff and puff, he didn't really land a blow, because he was completely incoherent and he didn't have any evidence to back up what he was saying.

To me, it came off as Jackson not remembering whether Sheahan had written the article(s) that got his nose out of joint or not, he just had an axe to grind with the media and Sheahan was/is the most famous football writer since Jackson started his career, so he might as well take a few potshots at him and get paid to do it.

Didn't see it that way personally. I thought he was having a go at Sheahan. I think Sheahans role as VFL/AFL spin merchant is historically pretty well recognised. Trade "exclusives" for "opinion pieces" straight out of the AFL boardroom. Same as Caro now.

I'm sure it's all on file, I also doubt people ever go back and read the life's work of a journo and make that judgement. Somebody said "you had to be there", which might be right. Often times it's also not just what's written, but what it means in the context of the (footy) political climate at the time.

You would think not but never underestimate how stupid Australians can be.

Pauline Hanson agrees with this. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

hanson_narrowweb__300x478,0.jpg

My point (to you and to Jackson) is a vague reference to Sheahan being some sort of hatchet man once upon a time out is hardly going to convince me, or many others from my generation. If Jackson had a legitimate gripe about Sheahan, he wold have been better served producing the articles that he was referring to, or quoting directly them, rather than just lumping Sheahan in with everyone else in the media. For all his huff and puff, he didn't really land a blow, because he was completely incoherent and he didn't have any evidence to back up what he was saying.

To me, it came off as Jackson not remembering whether Sheahan had written the article(s) that got his nose out of joint or not, he just had an axe to grind with the media and Sheahan was/is the most famous football writer since Jackson started his career, so he might as well take a few potshots at him and get paid to do it.

Mate, Sheahan still pushes his agendas even in Open Mike. The other week he kept telling Glen Jakovich that he & the 90's Eagles had taken steroids to get as big as they were when they won the flag, despite Jako telling him multiple times that most AFL clubs at the time were only doing one session a week on the weights and the Eagles were doing it three times a week or more due to the softer grounds in Victoria. He then went on to claim the Eagles 06 flag was tainted because a couple of guys were known for partying despite never testing positive for anything while playing. Sheahan loves to push his side of a story whether its true or not. Jackos right about Sheahan.

“You’re a pollutant. You’re a toilet trained AFL jerk media journalist. That’s all you are. I hate you. You’re a disgrace. You’re a pubic hair,”

“You are the most disliked toilet trained journalist from the AFL that has ever sucked up a breath from God.”

“I hope you have cancer of the finger so you couldn’t write another poison interview like you did. If you think the show is going well, you’re 70-years-old. Go and pray that you get to 71.

“I really have no respect for you. I hope you get cancer.”

“You’re one of the poison pens that finished it,”

“You’re a disgrace. Mike, you’re a disgrace. You’ve got no idea how many footballers I talk to going around that have got no respect for what you did to football. You might get all the media awards in the world being carefully trained as you were, but you’ve got no respect. No respect.”

“I’m telling you the truth. I don’t like you.”

“Listen, we’re going to let sleeping dogs lie,”

“I’m going to go out of this interview because I wanted to get something of me chest. You obviously rang me to do the interview because you wanted to get something off your chest.

“We’re going to let sleeping dogs lie. You’re 70-years-old, you haven’t got long. You might as well die happy. At the end of the day, I’ve got nothing against you from this day forward.”

“I couldn’t give a rats if he got hit by a bus.”

“What do you want me to do? Cry into my soup?”

“He had it coming for a long time.”

“If journalists want to make personal pot shots at people, they’ve got to be careful because one day it’s going to come back and bite you on the arse.”

“I’m not angry. I just had some bones to put to bed and I did that. I did that honestly.”

Of course he's credentialed to do it. Depending on the guest I sometimes watch it and enjoy it.

I'm just saying, modern day Mike Sheahan wasn't always the friendly old grandfather he now is, walking down memory lane with old friends or producing top 50 lists.

He's been that mellowed way for a while now and a lot of people see him like that, and I think a lot of people shocked by last night were partially that way because aggressive Jacko was going hard at lovely old Mike.

Amongst all Jacko's rambling he makes a few basic good points, and it was the same re Sheahan. In his day he was a razor sharp journo who for quite a time was also the VFL/AFLs media gun, using his profile and influence to target those as instructed.

He's moved on and so have the AFL, to Caro predominantly.

Indeed, if memory serves me correct he was also the guy that got the scoop on Port making a bid to enter the AFL for season 1991; a story which knocked the iraqi invasion of kuwait off the front pages here in Adelaide #neverchangeadelaide

for that reason alone, i think Jacko should have gone harder on him /sarc :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

top 5 players in history + coached 4 flags at two different clubs yeah lucky.. lol.
Yep, lucky. In the same way pagan was. He rocked up to north Melbourne and got an under 19 team with Carey, Longmire, Stevens et el. He had this incredible team that grew up together and went on and stayed together. When he actually had to coach, and build a side, pagan was found out as the hack he is.

Matthews walked into Brisbane at a time that saw the best ever afl midfield come into their prime footy years. And he walked into a side that had brown and lynch in their prime. And a back 6 that were incredible. Even Ross Lyon could have coached that side to a flag.

Great player? Yep no doubt. But great coach? Nope. And talk to anyone on the lions list, and they'll tell you he's hated by the players and is a cancer.

Jacko absolutely played the whole thing.

Are you people serious thinking he is out of his mind?

He plays a persona and it makes him money and more money is coming his way.

I think you're giving him too much credit. This guy is a legit halfwit.

Had some talent on-field, but was always going to self-destruct. What with him being a complete fruit loop and all.

Yep, lucky. In the same way pagan was. He rocked up to north Melbourne and got an under 19 team with Carey, Longmire, Stevens et el. He had this incredible team that grew up together and went on and stayed together. When he actually had to coach, and build a side, pagan was found out as the hack he is.

Matthews walked into Brisbane at a time that saw the best ever afl midfield come into their prime footy years. And he walked into a side that had brown and lynch in their prime. And a back 6 that were incredible. Even Ross Lyon could have coached that side to a flag.

Great player? Yep no doubt. But great coach? Nope. And talk to anyone on the lions list, and they'll tell you he's hated by the players and is a cancer.
Dennis Marshall, as much as I dislike you. I agree with most of your post. interesting thing with pagan in that open mike thing was pagan coached the north under 19s for 9 years.

As for pagans stint as carlton coach, Bit harsh to call him a hack. Keep in mind carlton was an ageing squad when he came in and was denied 2 first rounders and 2 2nd rounders for the salary cap scandal. So it was hard for him to rebuild. The crows lost 2 1st rounders and 2 second rounders in 2012 but they didnt have an ageing squad like carltons 2002 team.

As for leigh matthews coaching career. How do you look back at the 1990 premiership team? Best team ever? far from it. once hawthorn was dumped in that elim final vs the demons, it was an open year like 1993 and 1997.

As for his coaching career at brisbane. I agree he was at the right place at the right time. Robert walls put the 1st pieces together at brisbane when he coached from 1991-5. Voss, aker and leppitch got their debuts under walls.

Dennis Marshall, as much as I dislike you. I agree with most of your post. interesting thing with pagan in that open mike thing was pagan coached the north under 19s for 9 years.

As for pagans stint as carlton coach, Bit harsh to call him a hack. Keep in mind carlton was an ageing squad when he came in and was denied 2 first rounders and 2 2nd rounders for the salary cap scandal. So it was hard for him to rebuild. The crows lost 2 1st rounders and 2 second rounders in 2012 but they didnt have an ageing squad like carltons 2002 team.

As for leigh matthews coaching career. How do you look back at the 1990 premiership team? Best team ever? far from it. once hawthorn was dumped in that elim final vs the demons, it was an open year like 1993 and 1997.

As for his coaching career at brisbane. I agree he was at the right place at the right time. Robert walls put the 1st pieces together at brisbane when he coached from 1991-5. Voss, aker and leppitch got their debuts under walls.

You can coach a team that has its back against the wall (pagan and Carlton) and still get the players to have a dip. Teach them discipline and structure. Talk to Kouta about what he thought of Pagan. He was a hack at Carlton. As for 1990 - a very good side. People forget, but Millane was just about the best player in the league. Banks was a gun. Daicos was - well he was daicos. They were a very good team. And footy in 1990 was a lot simpler than today. It wasn't rocket science. It was "compete, be front and square, beat your opponent.

Matthews was a sniping dog. IMO his incredible football loses its shine due to hi. Being a coward, and a thug. His hit on Barry cable wasn't tough. It was gutless. As was his hit on Neville bruns. Leigh Matthews was a coward and a thug, and is currently a cancer on the Brisbane footy club.

You can coach a team that has its back against the wall (pagan and Carlton) and still get the players to have a dip. Teach them discipline and structure. Talk to Kouta about what he thought of Pagan. He was a hack at Carlton. As for 1990 - a very good side. People forget, but Millane was just about the best player in the league. Banks was a gun. Daicos was - well he was daicos. They were a very good team. And footy in 1990 was a lot simpler than today. It wasn't rocket science. It was "compete, be front and square, beat your opponent.

Matthews was a sniping dog. IMO his incredible football loses its shine due to hi. Being a coward, and a thug. His hit on Barry cable wasn't tough. It was gutless. As was his hit on Neville bruns. Leigh Matthews was a coward and a thug, and is currently a cancer on the Brisbane footy club.
I was suprised to hear that milane was the best player in 1990. Collingwood also had a couple of SA boys in scott russell and tony francis.

As for matthews the player. People talk about his hit on cable. His hit on Barrie Robran at north adelaide was a dog act. Robran was the equivalent of Matthew Pavlich of that era: one club player in a struggling club but like pav can play all areas on the ground.

I thought it was cowardly for matthews to dob Mark Jackson in that game. Even though Matthews got 9 weeks for that hit on bruns.

I was suprised to hear that milane was the best player in 1990. Collingwood also had a couple of SA boys in scott russell and tony francis.

As for matthews the player. People talk about his hit on cable. His hit on Barrie Robran at north adelaide was a dog act. Robran was the equivalent of Matthew Pavlich of that era: one club player in a struggling club but like pav can play all areas on the ground.

I thought it was cowardly for matthews to dob Mark Jackson in that game. Even though Matthews got 9 weeks for that hit on bruns.

I was at the 90' GF and believe me, 26 years later when I think about that horrible day..the raging bull is the one player that haunts my mind.

doesn't matter how many good players are on the list if you are finishing what 2nd last? You need a half decent coach to get those guys to a premiership in 3 years.

Your "hated by the players" is horseshit, every guy on Open Mike has spoken well about Leigh - even the guys who actually have no vested interest. Even Aker doesn't talk s**t about Matthews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back