Jacko

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheehan is a decent interviewer, not many out there can do that. It would have been funny watching Robbo interview Jacko with both of them struggling to make it about themselves. Jacko has a personality that he plays on and that works just fine for him. If anything the interview was put on, perhaps it wasn't but Jacko sees himself as an entertainer and he has to live up to his reputation.

• by MICHAEL ROBERTS

"Having played with and against him, I knew it would be difficult viewing.

But I must say that Jacko and I always got along reasonably well. This was despite copping a whack at the MCG during his playing days for Melbourne.

It was Round 2, 1982. We were both 22-years-old and I took a mark and kicked it up the wing on the MCC side in the first minute of the game. The next thing I recall is lying on the ground in a bit of a daze. Jacko had elbowed me and was subsequently reported by all three umpires.

At the tribunal that week, I gave my testimony that I couldn’t really remember the incident. During my delivery, Jacko zipped his black jacket all the way up to his chin and took his teeth out in an attempt to intimidate me. The big fella was handed two weeks, but in today’s game he would’ve been suspended for a month"

• by MICHAEL ROBERTS
"Having played with and against him, I knew it would be difficult viewing.

But I must say that Jacko and I always got along reasonably well. This was despite copping a whack at the MCG during his playing days for Melbourne.

It was Round 2, 1982. We were both 22-years-old and I took a mark and kicked it up the wing on the MCC side in the first minute of the game. The next thing I recall is lying on the ground in a bit of a daze. Jacko had elbowed me and was subsequently reported by all three umpires.

At the tribunal that week, I gave my testimony that I couldn’t really remember the incident. During my delivery, Jacko zipped his black jacket all the way up to his chin and took his teeth out in an attempt to intimidate me. The big fella was handed two weeks, but in today’s game he would’ve been suspended for a month"

Just as an aside, I'm kind of surprised that Michael Roberts himself hasn't appeared on Open Mike yet.

Glad he explained the Barker story and the kicking new footys to his brother thing a bit further in that article too. Jacko didn't want to elaborate about the former, and I didn't quite catch exactly what was happening with the latter.

Just as an aside, I'm kind of surprised that Michael Roberts himself hasn't appeared on Open Mike yet.

Glad he explained the Barker story and the kicking new footys to his brother thing a bit further in that article too. Jacko didn't want to elaborate about the former, and I didn't quite catch exactly what was happening with the latter.

Please tell me the story behind the Barker one.
For mine, most of what Jacko does is fairly harmless fun in his eyes. However the stuff about putting a brick under another guys brake pedal I do not find funny at all. WTF was that about ?
I not heard the explanation yet.

As for Michael Roberts on Open Mike himself. Not something that appealing given he was little more than a fringe player from what I remember.
More famous for his partying, being son of a gun Brownlow Medallist and been a kind of boundary rider on tv or radio in AFL circles for a good two decades.
He could probably tell us a bit about off field personality stuff at St.Kilda in 1980's with Rex Hunt, Jezza, Val Perovic, Simon O'Donnell, Shane Warne, Lockett, Foschini, Gary Sidebotton, Robbie Muir, Jacko and Ricky Nixon and maybe even Rene Kink all there at various points but as far as on ground stuff goes, pretty lame stuff apart from big bags Plugger started kicking. I would see Michael Roberts as more a link or witness to other stuff going on than making football news himself.

Last edited:
Sheehan is a decent interviewer, not many out there can do that. It would have been funny watching Robbo interview Jacko with both of them struggling to make it about themselves. Jacko has a personality that he plays on and that works just fine for him. If anything the interview was put on, perhaps it wasn't but Jacko sees himself as an entertainer and he has to live up to his reputation.

Decent interviewer?

Lol.

Imagine Jacko response if sat there with Robbo interviewing him. Would have seen him as the junior making coffees for Mike and rather than abuse, would have just laughed at him. Be more interesting to see Jacko interviewed by someone like Gerard Healy himself from his own era and played with him.

Oh really

I sit with meth users all day and I challenge anyone who thinks its enhances performance

You lose sleep, it affects brain function, eye sight and distance perception not to mention coordination

Hey why do you think it's illegal to drive on meth ? If meth enhanced your footy then surely it would enhance a simple task like driving a car

Dead set people have got no idea ....and mike Sheehan wouldn't know the first thing about drugs nor do you clearly bit hey why let the facts get in the way of a juicy story like "tainted flag"

We would have won more had our players not been losing sleep.

Ive got no idea on what drugs do - however ive read a couple of articles in the Sydney Morning Herald recently

One was about the NSW town Wentworth - where there is a meth epidemic , The local policeman said it is a frightening drug - because it gives them " incredible strength " - to back that up he quoted a story where it took 4 coppers to restrain and control a bloke - they finally got the handcuffs on him - however he did something that he had never seen in 35 years of policing - the bloke actually bent the handcuffs

Ialso read an article by the ex boxer Dean Waters - and he said meth ( has been used ) and is a great drug for a boxer - he said it gives them a feeling of invincability - which he said is a great mindset for a boxer - he said the trick was to use just the right amount so your arms keep up with your brain

After i read those articles i would say it is definitely performance enhancing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive got no idea on what drugs do - however ive read a couple of articles in the Sydney Morning Herald recently

One was about the NSW town Wentworth - where there is a meth epidemic , The local policeman said it is a frightening drug - because it gives them " incredible strength " - to back that up he quoted a story where it took 4 coppers to restrain and control a bloke - they finally got the handcuffs on him - however he did something that he had never seen in 35 years of policing - the bloke actually bent the handcuffs

Ialso read an article by the ex boxer Dean Waters - and he said meth ( has been used ) and is a great drug for a boxer - he said it gives them a feeling of invincability - which he said is a great mindset for a boxer - he said the trick was to use just the right amount so your arms keep up with your brain

After i read those articles i would say it is definitely performance enhancing

It might be performance enhancing fighting of two or three coppers in a street fight

But seriously running flat out and kicking a ball ....no ...our game is about precision not beating the crap out of someone

Boxing ....again ....very simple sport you have one opponent to beat

After cousins and Kerr were exposed they were target tested by the afl .....counsels was tested on game days more than any other player

The cumulative effect of meth on an elite athlete isn't great ...

Meth is very prevalent in rural Australia ...dealers target these areas.

No he's not

He's a little twerp who frankly has zero credibility outside of Victorians

Dead set ....he's hoodwinked a whole state. I'm so glad jacko took him to the cleaners ......was great and he got what he deserved.

He really is a grub of a person, he puts on a performance to further his career and it's bloody obvious that he makes stuff up. I have no idea that he lasted in the game for as long as he did and if you know anyone in the industry you know how disliked he is. It's painful watching him on tv and of course Jacko has his issues as well.

I worked a sportsman's night that he was at and he explained that the night he got told he was emergency for the grand final at Richmond, he went out to his car, got a pair of bolt cutters and went underneath Roach's car where he proceeded to cut Roach's brakes.

Tony Jewell came out and caught him in the act. While Jacko was laying on the ground under the car, Jewell stood on Jacko's aggots and told him to piss off and that he was never allowed back at Richmond.

He is crazy. It was no act that he put on.

No he's not

Dead set ....he's hoodwinked a whole state. I'm so glad jacko took him to the cleaners ......was great and he got what he deserved.

What? Have you read the thread and the comments from Victorians about Sheahan?

I worked a sportsman's night that he was at and he explained that the night he got told he was emergency for the grand final at Richmond, he went out to his car, got a pair of bolt cutters and went underneath Roach's car where he proceeded to cut Roach's brakes.

Tony Jewell came out and caught him in the act. While Jacko was laying on the ground under the car, Jewell stood on Jacko's aggots and told him to piss off and that he was never allowed back at Richmond.

Good story ...any links or witnesses to this story

No he's not

Did he take him to the cleaners though? He had the opportunity to but Jacko mostly made no sense and apart from saying he didn't like Mike (or hardly anyone else) he said nothing. It would have been better if he had of backed up his rants with some examples. Fair enough he hates Sheahan but instead of saying "you know" or "just cause" like a 7 yr old when asked to explain his hatred he had the chance to really lay it all out there and quote the things that Sheahan had written that were so despicable. That would have been more uncomfortable for Sheahan. Instead Jacko just came off looking like a crazy ranting bitter sad man who is desperate to drum up some business for himself.

tony jewell was on open mike a few years ago. yet he never mentioned a word of mark jacko jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back