Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he also improved his kicking a lot this year. I do remember one really poor kick but besides that hid efficiency was generally around 78%
Chances are u don’t improve too much in your career with kicking .,,
Once a s**t kick always a s**t kick …. History will tell u that… always been his biggest flaw

Did a stack of extra training in the off-season, and like last year he has over done the training again resulting in some overloading on his groins.

Not OP, but has still restricted a lot of his training pre-Christmas. Is doing a lot of training in the gym to strength his core/glutes/hips so that he can deal with larger training loads.

Wish some others had the same commitment to improve as what he does, but sometimes pushing yourself that much and not recovering can lead to injury.

I see signs of his old man in him but if his not in the AFL side by mid season and struggling in the VFL or injured I think his looking at Delistville and I can’t see who he replaces in the AFL not Bergman not Goater definitely not Sheezel McDonald he should play before him but won’t as McDonald is protected by the Boys Club.

I see signs of his old man in him but if his not in the AFL side by mid season and struggling in the VFL or injured I think his looking at Delistville and I can’t see who he replaces in the AFL not Bergman not Goater definitely not Sheezel McDonald he should play before him but won’t as McDonald is protected by the Boys Club.
Who are the boys club.

The biggest problem I have with Archer is not his commitment or size or courage or anything like that. It's his disposal and decision making under pressure that has stood out to me as being subpar. When you don't have standout athletic traits (particularly in today's AFL) those things become more important. His dad while not having much depth in his kicking was one of the most reliable two footed players I've seen at the club, he also played in a different era where physicality was more prominent and size/athleticism was less important.

Archer is one I don't expect to be on the list in 2-3 years which to be fair is exactly what one would expect from someone drafted at where he was (with seemingly no interest from other clubs). Effort and commitment won't be his issue and he'll definitely get more chances to prove himself but at this stage if you were to ask me will be on the list in 2027 I would say no. (not sure of his contract status either)

The biggest problem I have with Archer is not his commitment or size or courage or anything like that. It's his disposal and decision making under pressure that has stood out to me as being subpar. When you don't have standout athletic traits (particularly in today's AFL) those things become more important. His dad while not having much depth in his kicking was one of the most reliable two footed players I've seen at the club, he also played in a different era where physicality was more prominent and size/athleticism was less important.

Archer is one I don't expect to be on the list in 2-3 years which to be fair is exactly what one would expect from someone drafted at where he was (with seemingly no interest from other clubs). Effort and commitment won't be his issue and he'll definitely get more chances to prove himself but at this stage if you were to ask me will be on the list in 2027 I would say no. (not sure of his contract status either)
I believe that Jackson is contracted until the end of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty certain young Arch may get a bit of leeway to get himself right. Not many players display his never beaten mindset. Ultimate shinboner. With all our elite talent we can afford to give him another contract. However, there will become a time that he will need to stay on the park !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back