Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer

look, if you've met people who work in clubland you'd know that while sometimes the things that get reported about clubs by figures like him or caroline wilson seem unfair to us, they're often true. remember how angry we all were when it was suggested the club hadn't put enough thought into the decision to give the coaching job to rhyce shaw? that one's pretty much been vindicated by history.

i don't think damian barrett should be in charge of putting out a weekly "if x then y" piece during the season because he's not a great analyst of football, but that doesn't mean the things he reports about the behind the scenes machinations of footy clubs are all false. it's perfectly fine to say his writing sucks but that none of us know the man, maybe he thinks he's making the club stronger by holding it to account.

Through his actions, this social commentator has time and again attacked the club for a decade.

It’s not to say that none of it is true. However it is always unbalanced, casting huge shade on the club and full of innuendo, suggestion and speculation.

At every opportunity he undermines our brand, pushes age old stereotypes snd has to my recollection never done a thing to build up the club in any way - not even the smallest ways.

he has no real insight into the club so is often wrong but instead speculates and drags up old examples to push his narrative.

It is not about him being wrong - it is about him being full of hate and disrespect

To defend him is naive at best, stupid at worst.

If he thought he was trying to help the club be better - he is deluded and dangerous

they are my thoughts on said individual

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not a cheap shot at all and I have no idea but if he’s projected to go at 60 (for example) what percentage of players picked up in that range go on to play 100 games? Id imagine less than 10 percent. I’m just trying to be realistic about it and temper expectations. The post I responded to was grouping him with a clear 1# pick.

Look, I don’t think you realise how lacklustre Crocker was for us.
In comparison, this is huge for us 😂

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Through his actions, this social commentator has time and again attacked the club for a decade.

It’s not to say that none of it is true. However it is always unbalanced, casting huge shade on the club and full of innuendo, suggestion and speculation.

At every opportunity he undermines our brand, pushes age old stereotypes snd has to my recollection never done a thing to build up the club in any way - not even the smallest ways.

he has no real insight into the club so is often wrong but instead speculates and drags up old examples to push his narrative.

It is not about him being wrong - it is about him being full of hate and disrespect

To defend him is naive at best, stupid at worst.

If he thought he was trying to help the club be better - he is deluded and dangerous

they are my thoughts on said individual
And this bloke is the reason why some posters should not be as negative about the club and some players. Have our opinions sure but with respect to both. Let Barrett make a fool of himself and let our little group on here stick together and reap the rewards that WILL becoming our way.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
look, if you've met people who work in clubland you'd know that while sometimes the things that get reported about clubs by figures like him or caroline wilson seem unfair to us, they're often true. remember how angry we all were when it was suggested the club hadn't put enough thought into the decision to give the coaching job to rhyce shaw? that one's pretty much been vindicated by history.

i don't think damian barrett should be in charge of putting out a weekly "if x then y" piece during the season because he's not a great analyst of football, but that doesn't mean the things he reports about the behind the scenes machinations of footy clubs are all false. it's perfectly fine to say his writing sucks but that none of us know the man, maybe he thinks he's making the club stronger by holding it to account.

On the bolded part, you are a little off the mark. Shaw was twice regarded by his peers as the best assistant coach in the AFL. He served extremely well as caretaker coach. He had the support of the players. It was not the case that we didn't "put enough thought" into appointing him as head coach. It was more the case that the background checks and psychological profiling did not reveal the problems that emerged under a particularly stressful first year in charge. That is not the story that Damian Barrett has been spouting for 18 months.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

How can constant negativity be good for anything? It at least needs to come with some sort of balance. In that pathetic ‘If and then’ article he does he has never written one positive thing towards us, not one. Every other media person managed to find a positive particularly in the second half of this year. Hell even Kane Cornes gave us some credit.

We are practically debt free, we have redeveloped Arden st multiple times and set for another massive upgrade, record membership year after year, a great young crop of young kids, a side that showed massive improvement over 2021 and the rodent continually dug his boots in at every opportunity.

It’s not just his articles either, if you listen to Triple M enough and other talkback you will notice the snide comments he continually makes.

No one can be that negative without some sort of grudge. He is an embarrassment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How can constant negativity be good for anything? It at least needs to come with some sort of balance. In that pathetic ‘If and then’ article he does he has never written one positive thing towards us, not one. Every other media person managed to find a positive particularly in the second half of this year. Hell even Kane Cornes gave us some credit.

We are practically debt free, we have redeveloped Arden st multiple times and set for another massive upgrade, record membership year after year, a great young crop of young kids, a side that showed massive improvement over 2021 and the rodent continually dug his boots in at every opportunity.

It’s not just his articles either, if you listen to Triple M enough and other talkback you will notice the snide comments he continually makes.

No one can be that negative without some sort of grudge. He is an embarrassment.

I agree with you that it doesn't do any good, I'm only suggesting that maybe that's what he thinks he's doing. This conversation was spurned by a positive comment about Jackson Archer, so there's one for you.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree with you that it doesn't do any good, I'm only suggesting that maybe that's what he thinks he's doing. This conversation was spurned by a positive comment about Jackson Archer, so there's one for you.

I get what you’re saying, but I just can’t see how anyone in their right mind could criticise the way he does and think he is doing good for the club.

The peanut once criticised us for not trading a second round pick for Dal Santo when he was a FA. He must have been struggling that day to come up with something negative FMD.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There is keeping the club accountable for its poor management & then there is stepping over the line.

I do believe the club does (especially over the last decade) need to be held accountable for some of the poor decisions they’ve made. Granted, the last really poor decision from my perspective was Shaw, and the silver lining of that seems to be that it was the kick up the a** the club needed to act professionally in all areas.

Barrett has gone way past that though. I am a bit of a sucker for punishment and do listen to a lot of his podcasts and content (I know I’m sick) and I have no doubt he was quite vindictive at times. A couple examples were “process” when referring to Nobles coaching, & “lowball” when referring to Tarrant. If you’ve listened to his content this year you’d know his commentary around both these were completely irrational, unprofessional & borderline obsessive IMO.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get what you’re saying, but I just can’t see how anyone in their right mind could criticise the way he does and think he is doing good for the club.

The peanut once criticised us for not trading a second round pick for Dal Santo when he was a FA. He must have been struggling that day to come up with something negative FMD.

That's kind of a dumb thing for him to have said but it's also not really a huge deal, is it? I doubt anyone outside of this forum even remembers something like that. I think we all worry a little bit too much about tiny things like the sliding doors article, people who look at those things scroll to whatever he says about their team, swear and then close the browser window, it's not doing the reputational damage some people seem to think it is.

We just got our first spoon in two of my lifetime and I can't remember the general media outlook about our club being much better than this. You can't please everyone! I'm glad he's finally found something nice to say about the club, hopefully it's a sign of things to come. Anyway, I don't want to talk about this anymore. When Jackson Archer plays his 312th game with two norm smith medals around his neck, do we really want this argument filling up the first 6 pages of his thread?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I mean, Glenn was a pretty sh*t at junior level too, wasn't he? Looking forward to seeing what Jackson can bring in the years to come.

Don't think that was the case. Pagan was begging him to play U19s because he was goofing off but the talent was clear.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
He’s Glenns boy, no flashy sh*t just get the job done

Yeah. I don't disagree BUT i think Glen's football ability gets massively undersold due to his hardness etc. He was a bloody talented player, in just about any position on the ground.

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I mean, Glenn was a pretty sh*t at junior level too, wasn't he? Looking forward to seeing what Jackson can bring in the years to come.
Just a battler. IIRC the stories of Pagan trying to bring him back to training several times. He just wanted to have a kick with his mates and smoke and drink.
Something clicked for him I guess and never looked back

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just a battler. IIRC the stories of Pagan trying to bring him back to training several times. He just wanted to have a kick with his mates and smoke and drink.
Something clicked for him I guess and never looked back
Not sure if he ever stopped drinking...

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

LMac takes Donald's 25 freeing up Glenn's 11?

A curse on the idiot who bestowed one of the best numbers for games played per player to just about the worst bloke in our history for getting on the park each week.

15 games in #6 for Garner. Ffs.

Back