News Jackson Hately requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct. Players who have previously been on an AFL list have this option. First year draftees do not.

Ball went to Collingwood via the ND, using the exact pick which St Kilda refused to accept in the trade.

There have been very few players/trades which broke down so completely that the player ended up leaving via the ND or PSD. Camporeale, Stevens, Martin, Ball, Pond Scum. The fact that we can recall them all so clearly is an indicator of just how rare these occurrences really are, and just how many end up being traded completely amicably without needing to take the "nuclear option".

Remove Tippett, we were accepting that s**t deal.

On the flipside you can also reasonably assess Gold Coast's response (to not accept a token bid) as being partially due to their assessment of value of signalling (to clubs, players, player managers) that they can be a tough negotiator when needed. You can say that they cut off their nose to spite their face but clearly they saw greater value in sending a message and losing Martin for nothing than accepting a huge discount (3rd round or whatever it was) on his underlying value.

Or more behind the scenes AFL bullshit. With all the concessions GCS got (and will even get this year) they could afford to do what they did.

Pretty convenient that Carlton got a freebie and GCS got enough “help” that it didn’t matter. One way to look at that is that the AFL gave concessions two two clubs with one stone.

Or more behind the scenes AFL bullshit. With all the concessions GCS got (and will even get this year) they could afford to do what they did.

Pretty convenient that Carlton got a freebie and GCS got enough “help” that it didn’t matter. One way to look at that is that the AFL gave concessions two two clubs with one stone.

Nearly as coincidental as how Ablett got back to Geelong

What makes you think we'll use the PSD at all?

Seems a shame, after we’ve used it to bluff, to not use it for anyone

Surely Carlton would be your preference?

Trick question - all their players are s**t (but correct, preferred option)

Trick question - all their players are sh*t (but correct, preferred option)
We always can use the psd after the draft etc to pick up a player that had been delisted that we think will add to our group. The number of list spots we hold open before draft night will make it interesting to see what our ultimate strategy is

It's a threat, not a bluff, but there's no reason to think that we'll be taking anyone via the PSD. Its use is extremely rare these days, especially when it comes to extracting disaffected players from their current clubs.

I wouldn't burn the GWS amicable trade history by pushing PSD just yet. This won't be the last talent they can't afford to keep

I can't see them digging their heels in on this one. As you say, they've lost (and will continue to lose) much bigger fish than Hately. With Corr, Williams and possibly Cameron all heading out the door it's not like they'll be lacking for early picks anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if we've already hammered out the deal with them and are just waiting for the trade period to start so we can lodge the paperwork.

It's a threat, not a bluff, but there's no reason to think that we'll be taking anyone via the PSD. Its use is extremely rare these days, especially when it comes to extracting disaffected players from their current clubs.
Unless we see value in a delisted free agent after the draft but that is a standard application use

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless we see value in a delisted free agent after the draft but that is a standard application use
You can sign DFAs without having to go through the PSD. The PSD is for players who were overlooked in the draft, or players who walked out on their clubs and chose to nominate for the PSD instead of the ND.

Man, you’re the Picasso of s**t takes

the nuclear deterrent doesn’t get used too often, doesn’t mean it ain’t working

the PSD threat is weapons grade effective, which means it’s rarely needed

we caved to it twice last trade period alone

Think we’ll end up trading for Hately, but the reputation damage of taking him through the PSD is likely to be overstated. I think most are of the opinion that GWS have had so many draft advantages over the years that even if we did go down that route most wouldn’t really bat an eyelid. If we did it for a player at a Victorian club it’d probably be a lot more media outrage from the usual haters.

Think we’ll end up trading for Hately, but the reputation damage of taking him through the PSD is likely to be overstated. I think most are of the opinion that GWS have had so many draft advantages over the years that even if we did go down that route most wouldn’t really bat an eyelid. If we did it for a player at a Victorian club it’d probably be a lot more media outrage from the usual haters.

we’ll offer something in the 35-40 range and they’ll take it

i-want-pick-20-gif.984828

Then that likely goes to Melbourne for Preuss.

It'll get done pretty quickly one would imagine

Man, you’re the Picasso of sh*t takes

the nuclear deterrent doesn’t get used too often, doesn’t mean it ain’t working

the PSD threat is weapons grade effective, which means it’s rarely needed

we caved to it twice last trade period alone
Yep. I initially thought we’d overpay given our history, but Noble was the one who saw fairness as a badge of honour.

Reid has been on the receiving end a couple of times now, expect he’ll be looking for a square up.

Bump...I'm not getting a good feeling with Brad...time to move to better news (hopefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back