Player Watch Jackson Hately

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was ok, some errors but some nice dishes too. Doesn’t play like you’d expect a 190cm mid to play.
But I thought he was brought in on the premise he was going to be our taller big bodied mid to play a similar role (if not as spectacular) as the Josh Kennedy, Nat Fyfe, Clayton Oliver types. We need to see him get way more proactive inside the contest, use his "size" advantage and set about getting his hands dirty a lot more than yesterday. Ben Keays is the bloke currently doing that but he needs help....Fogarty I'm not seeing as the answer there.

He wasn't terrible, wasn't great. Solid debut overall and shouldn't be dropped you wouldn't think.
Needs to be given a block of games & there are plenty i would be dropping before him.

Also, allowed us to split midfield time with Fogarty.

If Berry is right to go, he can replace Rowe who needs to find more of the ball.

Has now played same amount of games as Will Hamill, Ned McHenry, Harry Schoenberg & Lachie Sholl, and less than Shane McAdam and Andrew McPherson

Everyone can calm down a bit please

I actually wasnt sure what his role was, was he tagging? Known the kid for years he is an in and under with great hands, but laird and keays were always in there and he seemed to spend a lot of time on the outside.

On LG-H870DS using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's what has me wondering about his use since joining us given that was mostly his role in the junior footy streams and videos I've watched prior to his draft other than the few games of SANFL League where he looked to play mostly high half forward? I thought the whole purpose of pursuing Jackson was to give us that big bodied mid to play inside the contest at CB's and stoppages?

Hardly the best debut. But I wonder why people are criticising a 17 disposal game when there are players getting a fraction of that per game in the same position and role who are "worth persisting with".
It’s probably because of Hately’s 17 disposals only 3 were contested. Not good for a full time inside midfielder.

That's what has me wondering about his use since joining us given that was mostly his role in the junior footy streams and videos I've watched prior to his draft other than the few games of SANFL League where he looked to play mostly high half forward? I thought the whole purpose of pursuing Jackson was to give us that big bodied mid to play inside the contest at CB's and stoppages?

Yeah, is curious. Nicks would have seen a bit of him at GWS so would have had thoughts on how to use him coming in.

Hately had around the same number of CBA's as Fogarty, so I gather we shared them both as midfielder/HFF.

Got off to a slow start, but was laying tackles early... then worked himself into the game... without having a major impact.

Just need to give him a decent block of games. I would be dropping one of non performing small forwards before Hately.

But I thought he was brought in on the premise he was going to be our taller big bodied mid to play a similar role (if not as spectacular) as the Josh Kennedy, Nat Fyfe, Clayton Oliver types. We need to see him get way more proactive inside the contest, use his "size" advantage and set about getting his hands dirty a lot more than yesterday. Ben Keays is the bloke currently doing that but he needs help....Fogarty I'm not seeing as the answer there.
Hately was very slow with his decision making & execution ......was not an impressive first game .....Berry should be rushed back in at Hately's expense

Hately was very slow with his decision making & execution ......was not an impressive first game .....Berry should be rushed back in at Hately's expense
No, Berry should come in for Rowe.... which needs a good run in the sanfl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like our coaching group are trying to use the bigger bodied guys to move the opposition's best mid off their preferred line too much, and not allowing them to hunt the footy and use their frame to actually win the footy. Like what CEY and Greenwood use to do quite well for us.

Fog started too around the ground a bit on the weekend which I liked, but neither him or Jacko did much in center bounces from memory

I actually wasnt sure what his role was, was he tagging? Known the kid for years he is an in and under with great hands, but laird and keays were always in there and he seemed to spend a lot of time on the outside.

On LG-H870DS using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's how our midfield works. There are ranks, he's not ranked high enough to just go for it.

We have invested a contract with him. Needs to be given a prolonged chance to build into the season.
Sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter if he has a contract. All that matters is if he improves our AFL side.

He stays in for now by virtue of injuries, then gets banished to the SANFL the moment we have our first choice mids back. Maybe he works on his game and gets himself back into the side, maybe not. I'm not optimistic we can turn him into a player though.

Give him time to show what he has got. You cant judge him off 1 game in a new team. I'd be worried if he doesn't improve in a month or two but not yet. I don't even think he was that bad.

I wouldn't mind seeing him up forward to show off his strong marking or the Lynch role.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

It looked like a repeat of his first SANFL match. A big inside mid not getting that involved on the inside, but having no issues accumulating on the outside. Of course, the next week he was a lot better on the inside. I do wonder if Hately is just one of those guys who needs a week to acclimatise to whatever level he's playing at, or if there are issues from his GWS days still at play (seeing GWS was an absolutely terrible fit for Hately).

Give him time to show what he has got. You cant judge him off 1 game in a new team. I'd be worried if he doesn't improve in a month or two but not yet. I don't even think he was that bad.

I wouldn't mind seeing him up forward to show off his strong marking or the Lynch role.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
We brought him in supposedly to be the taller big bodied mid to bring some more size into the mix inside the contest according to the club so bugger trying to fit him in some other role. If we need to do that then bringing him in albeit a free hit it's a fail.

Early days yet but we need to see him getting his hands dirty inside the contest much more than we've seen at SANFL and AFL level thus far.

We brought him in supposedly to be the taller big bodied mid to bring some more size into the mix inside the contest according to the club so bugger trying to fit him in some other role. If we need to do that then bringing him in albeit a free hit it's a fail.

Early days yet but we need to see him getting his hands dirty inside the contest much more than we've seen at SANFL and AFL level thus far.
I agree. What kind of role did he play as a junior?

Dont understand why hes so fumbly this year. Usually so clean with hands. Hopefully settles soon because some of his disposals by hand are horrible this year. Hes better than that.

How was his kicking?
It’s ok to be an outside kid but not if you can’t use it.
Some of the games I saw with gws last year were abysmal.
Have him in a keeper league so I’m somewhat invested!

I feel like our coaching group are trying to use the bigger bodied guys to move the opposition's best mid off their preferred line too much, and not allowing them to hunt the footy and use their frame to actually win the footy. Like what CEY and Greenwood use to do quite well for us.

Fog started too around the ground a bit on the weekend which I liked, but neither him or Jacko did much in center bounces from memory

Yes, I noticed this defensive role also at the centre bounces.
They have no chance of getting the ball.
It was a role the club were using Jones in also.
As with Jones, they are too worried about the defensive side to the game that they lose focus of getting the ball and lose confidence in their game and now Fogarty and Hately are going down the same path.
It's not good for their development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back