Player Watch Jackson Hately

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember what you thought after Keay's first game, and ROB, and Jones, and McAdam, and Sholl, and Berry, and Doedee, and Thilthorpe...

Never as bad as you fear, or as good as you hope.

Except Thilthorpe, the exception that proves the rule.
Its true about Keayes. His first few games were garbage. Hopefully we can turn Jacko around the same way.

Remember what you thought after Keay's first game, and ROB, and Jones, and McAdam, and Sholl, and Berry, and Doedee, and Thilthorpe...

I mean it's a bit different comparing a green draftee to someone who has been on another clubs list...

It seemed he was used more as negating mid to manoeuvre Mitchell in particular at the Centre Bounces rather than get the ball himself. His kicking needs tidying up but he also looked like he needed the run to blow out some cobwebs, didn’t play at all last weekend which wouldn’t have helped. Tackled well and got 17 touches in only 65% TOG which seems awfully low for him so may be being managed somewhat after the adductor injury in pre-season and building him up still, give him 4-6 weeks and then see where it’s at, cant be writing him off after one game at a new club with new structures many more should be dropped before Jacko.

Jones hasn’t done anything to change my opinion of him :(

Its true about Keayes. His first few games were garbage. Hopefully we can turn Jacko around the same way.
Keays is getting a lot of the ball, but not sure his kicking is still that great. I'm still a fan of his though.

Hately showed enough for me, won a few 50:50 contests, linked up a few times. Again, kicking is a work in progress.

Keays had 4 years and 30 games at Brisbane before joining the crows and was 23 start of last season.
Hately only had 2 years and 13 games at GWS and is still only 20 years old.
Hence my point responding to his comment "I mean it's a bit different comparing a green draftee to someone who has been on another clubs list..." and used Keays as an example who has turn out to be very good player despite his 1st game which was poor for us last year, and Hately's 1st game for us was actually reasonably solid compared to Keays.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean it's a bit different comparing a green draftee to someone who has been on another clubs list...
You mean like Keays?

Hately broke into a 22 with a better midfield than ours. I would guess most on here have not seen a lot of him (under focus) and those that have are probably harking back to his junior days ... where he was touted as gun.

The bloke needs some time to get his feet - all I am saying is let's not hang someone on their first outing for the club.

After the two trial games it looked like our midfield was going to be a disaster and that was with Sloane and Crouch playing.

To be 3-3 with 3 games total from those two is well above expectations. There's plenty of room to give Hately an extended run - we should be rotating the 1st and 2nd year mids anyway.

I remember he used to get on the scoresheet quite regularly for Centrals as well. For a teenager in that league he held his own quite well.
He did, but we didn't draft him to play half forward which is what he was doing in Central's SANFL League team in the latter part of the season in his draft year.

The club and Hamish made it pretty clear we'd pursued him on the premise he was the big bodied inside mid we badly needed to add to our midfield mix so it would be disappointing if he doesn't measure up to that specific role.

Like I stated previously it's early days yet but I think we'd all like to see Jackson really imposing himself on the inside contests a fair bit more than he has thus far in the SANFL and last week's AFL game. After all this is a 3rd year player not a rookie.

He did, but we didn't draft him to play half forward which is what he was doing in Central's SANFL League team in the latter part of the season in his draft year.

The club and Hamish made it pretty clear we'd pursued him on the premise he was the big bodied inside mid we badly needed to add to our midfield mix so it would be disappointing if he doesn't measure up to that specific role.

Like I stated previously it's early days yet but I think we'd all like to see Jackson really imposing himself on the inside contests a fair bit more than he has thus far in the SANFL and last week's AFL game. After all this is a 3rd year player not a rookie.
Are you more bullish on Gollant or O'Connor making it long term for us than Jackson as that big inside mid?

You mean like Keays?

Hately broke into a 22 with a better midfield than ours. I would guess most on here have not seen a lot of him (under focus) and those that have are probably harking back to his junior days ... where he was touted as gun.

The bloke needs some time to get his feet - all I am saying is let's not hang someone on their first outing for the club.
He might have broke into 22 with a better midfield than ours but let's not kid ourselves he never got close to breaking into their midfield rotations in any of the games I watched and that was most of them.....which is fair enough given GWS's midfield strength.
I'm all for giving him time to adjust but I really want to see him using his bigger body inside the contests a lot more than he has been to date.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back