Draft Profile Jackson Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 22, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Interested to see that ratings of this highly skilled, tallish outside mid/ HFF'er seem to be building so much that he is now a legitimate top 10 chance.

His inside 50 kicking abilities are obviously highly desirable and despite not making AA, he's quick, nimble and has much upside, such that he appears to be a real bolter.
Personally, while I would support us taking a very solid citizen (aka Vlastuin) at 9, I would probably prefer us to look for a bit of X factor. Perhaps Jackson is our man...

Birthdate: 3 Aug 1994
Height: 188cm
Weight: 75kg
Recruited: Oakleigh Chargers
State: VIC

I though Ben Kennedy might have a bit of that x-factor for Richmond, but I know North Melbourne are interested in Macrae from how the recruiters have been talking about him

Vic6-20120704210218192582-600x400.jpg

Jackson Macrae (VIC) gets around opponent. Photo: Joe Armao
Skip to more gallery info and related links

Interested to see that ratings of this highly skilled, tallish outside mid/ HFF'er seem to be building so much that he is now a legitimate top 10 chance.

His inside 50 kicking abilities are obviously highly desirable and despite not making AA, he's quick, nimble and has much upside, such that he appears to be a real bolter.
Personally, while I would support us taking a very solid citizen (aka Vlastuin) at 9, I would probably prefer us to look for a bit of X factor. Perhaps Jackson is our man...

Birthdate: 3 Aug 1994
Height: 188cm
Weight: 75kg
Recruited: Oakleigh Chargers
State: VIC
McRae wasn't on the horizon just a few weeks ago: he wasn't bad, but other guys had the profiles. His efforts in the finals, however, have brought him much more to the public's attention. He has also probably gone up in many of the recruiters' eyes: performance in big games under pressure impress most recruiters. They really impress me, ignorant amateur that I am.
I don't know about geting him into the top 10 yet, but his probability of going in the 1st round has increased markedly.

I want the dogs to take him with 5 or 6. So confident in this young man

The massive riser.

Will be top ten, top 5 not out of the question. Just touching the surface of this bloke now. At the right club, could be anything.

Macrae absolutely killed it today in the TAC Cup Grand Final. He should be on the radar for clubs with top 10 picks. I liked his games at the Champs and now I absolutely love the way he plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

where was Mitchell drafted?
He can overcome it, surely, but it's likely to be a mitigating factor in the eyes of a few.

And everyone got it wrong with Mitchell because they thought he was slow and couldn't kick very far.

What did Mitchell do in the prelim? Hit every target by hand and foot, set up goals and no-one could lay a glove on him in a phone box ;)

And everyone got it wrong with Mitchell because they thought he was slow and couldn't kick very far.

What did Mitchell do in the prelim? Hit every target by hand and foot, set up goals and no-one could lay a glove on him in a phone box ;)
Sure, but I'm not convinced you can say that because someone (Mitchell) who can't kick very far, is no jet and is short has dome so brilliantly well, those characteristics will suddenly become highly prized.

I guess my argument is that Jackson has many good assets as a footballer. His speed is okay/adequate but not super. He often doesn't kick 50 but tends to spot up targets more in 25-40 range. If you saw the goal he kicked from the boundary on 50 in 1 of the finals at Visy you might change you mind because he can kick longish when he wants.

The Characteristics that should be highly prized are all the best aspects that Mitchell and Macrae possess i.e. clean, evasive, creative, poised, consistent.

Obviously he needs work as all 18yr olds do but he sure ticks alot of boxes

One issue is the length of his kicking. That will surely improve.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/145467/default.aspx

Kevin Sheehan says: “Versatile medium midfielder who can also go back or forward. Big improver this year and is a long left foot kick. Shows great courage in the air and at ground level in his attack on ball. Kicked six goals against Tasmania in an outstanding performance and averaged 19.4 disposals at 78.4 percent efficiency in the Under-18 Championships this year. Averaged 23 disposals ain seven TAC Cup games to date this year.”

Not sure your assesment is on target

Martin_Riewoldt has essentially got it but I'd add one more layer and say Macrae is a quicker Pendlebury.

Macrae is the same player as Pendlebury was at the same age if not slightly further progressed allowing him more opportunity for early games than Pendlebury was.

Like Pendlebury, Macrae plays the game at his own tempo and as a result has more time to dispose of the ball than the next player, so even with limited time and space Macrae can use it well by either hand or foot and still execute. Also like Pendlebury, Macrae has that rare handballing awareness where he can spot other teammates by hand he has no right to find under pressure.

Once he starts adding size to his frame and winning his own ball more. Watch out. He should go from damaging outside player to unique inside player with serious game.

Martin_Riewoldt has essentially got it but I'd add one more layer and say Macrae is a quicker Pendlebury.

Macrae is the same player as Pendlebury was at the same age if not slightly further progressed allowing him more opportunity for early games than Pendlebury was.

Like Pendlebury, Macrae plays the game at his own tempo and as a result has more time to dispose of the ball than the next player, so even with limited time and space Macrae can use it well by either hand or foot and still execute. Also like Pendlebury, Macrae has that rare handballing awareness where he can spot other teammates by hand he has no right to find under pressure.

Once he starts adding size to his frame and winning his own ball more. Watch out. He should go from damaging outside player to unique inside player with serious game.

Couldn't have summed it up any better. Proud of the kid

Pick Me: Jackson Macrae could be the next Scott Pendlebury
MICK Malthouse had midfield star Scott Pendlebury at Collingwood, and there's a growing possibility he'll coach the next version at Carlton.

"When he gets the ball he changes the speed of the game, the angles of the game and always bites off the harder option,’’ King, who coached Macrae at Carey Grammar, said.

"I think he’ll be an outstanding half-forward flank with really good lateral moves. He’ll definitely play 100 games and I’d be staggered if he didn’t play in 2013.

"For me it’s his ability to baulk and embarrass players.’’

"His ability to make smart decisions in space is outstanding,’’ Chargers region manager Mark Smart said.
Pick Me: Jackson Macrae could be the next Scott Pendlebury

NAB AFL Combine Results: 20m Sprint - 2.95 secs (Top 24%) Agility - 8.40 secs (Top 20%)

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/2298903594/2012-AFL-Draft-Pick-Me---Jackson-Macrae

Stop getting my hopes up.

Absolutely should not get to Carlton.

Still hoping we'll take him. Rate him higher than Menzel too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back