Delisted Jackson Paine (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Uni - 14/05/16 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Solid, without being as outstanding as previous weeks again he led the way down back for us with such a young group. He was solid in the air, rebounding the footy six times. Took his marks and a couple of mocks for the day. Had a couple of big jobs on some key forwards for Sydney Uni. He’s certainly been in really good form.

We lament the lack of structure and mentoring in the reserves - I kind of hope Paine gets another year on the rookie list just for that, because every report is quite complementary of his attributes in that regards.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney - 06/08/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Jackson made his return from suspension. He was one of our best players again down back. He had 22, took 12 marks and six rebound 50s so he was pretty solid in the contest for us. He had great direction and leadership from behind the ball and was sorely missed the week before so it was good to get Jackson back into the fray of things.

If we lose Gardiner then we'd almost have to upgrade him. With Hammer jumping ahead of him and Watson presumably getting drafted it might come down to Beasley vs Paine. Also depending on the strength of the rookie draft. I think Beasley can play smaller but Paine can play taller.

If we lose Gardiner then we'd almost have to upgrade him. With Hammer jumping ahead of him and Watson presumably getting drafted it might come down to Beasley vs Paine. Also depending on the strength of the rookie draft. I think Beasley can play smaller but Paine can play taller.

Personally I'd be keeping both Beasley and Paine regardless on whether or not Gardiner stays. Especially with the likely retirement of Merrett.

Beasley deserves another year. He's had some injury problems hold him back. He has the tools to play well on the medium/small types. He'd be in our top 5 quickest players.

Paines been solid when called upon in the seniors.

Hammer hasn't impressed me that much personally.

The way cotter101 phrased it, Personally I'd be keeping both Beasley and Paine regardless on whether or not Gardiner stays.

It's round 21 and he isn't contracted for next year so I think it's fair enough to consider it a possibility that he won't be playing with us next season even if it's a 99% chance that he'll stay and given Beasley and Paine play a similar role, Gardiner staying or leaving could have an impact on them.

The way cotter101 phrased it, Personally I'd be keeping both Beasley and Paine regardless on whether or not Gardiner stays.

Apologies if that's how it came across. Didn't at all intend it to come across like that.

As jackess said, It is round 21 and he isn't contracted for next year so there is a possibility he leaves. But Leppa made mention of 2 signings yet to be announced. Whether he was talking about 2 players signing or 1 player and a Major Sponsor(Vero) or Taylor and Gardiner/Green is yet to be known.

But personally, I'm not too worried that he hasn't sign on. He is the type of blokes that gives things a lot of thought. I think he will re-sign. I'd be more worried about Green leaving though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player Reviews: No. 36 - 40

Paine once again succumbed to injuries that have seemingly plagued his career and seen him unable to hit full stride in his time with the Lions. The versatile utility was originally recruited as a forward but found his niche as a defender and his solid form down back as the Lions NEAFL captain saw him elevated to the senior list in the middle of 2016. Paine played three games and averaged 10.3 disposals from Rounds 9-11 but managed only the one game the rest of the year before being delisted at season’s end.

Coach’s notes

Jackson was able to play a few games at AFL level, and handled himself quite nicely when matched up on opposition key forwards. Again was the skipper of the NEAFL when he went back there and displayed great leadership and support for our younger defenders.

painereview2016.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back