Delisted Jackson Paine (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shame he's not really KPD size.

Same height as Matthew Scarlett and Darren Glass. Granted it's a bit rich to compare him to players of the caliber but shows that height isn't an absolute necessity. He was rated player of the week despite playing against Two-metre Peter.

Reserves Wrap - Aspley Hornets - 23/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Jackson was the skipper and like Dan McStay he was really solid down back. He’s been in really good form Jackson. I think like Dan he took 7 marks from opposition kicks, and rebounded the ball pretty well. Like Dan, a couple of times with his composure by hand he played on when he probably shouldn’t have and put others into trouble. But, certainly his presence, communication, leadership, voice and all those things – he’s been a bit of a rock for us down back and led the team really well.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Swans - 01/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Played key defence – he had it 18 times, took seven marks, really strong in the air back there in the conditions for us. He saved a lot of Sydney’s thrusts going forward with what he was able to do down back. He’s in really good form at the moment. He’s really consistent and leading the group well in what hasn’t been a great start to the year.

These days Scarlett and Glass would be on the lower end of the scale when it comes to KPD size. Also, the problem for Paine is that he's not just undersized, he's also quite slow. I watched him a few times in Collingwood's VFL and what he does have is immense strength and a great set of hands. I would have thought if there were any position that he might make the grade it would be as an inside mid.

Brisbane to upgrade former Collingwood tall Jackson Paine onto senior list ahead of Round 9

BRISBANE rookie Jackson Paine has been elevated onto the senior list and will face Melbourne in Round 9.

It’s understood the Lions are in the process of lodging paperwork with the AFL that will see Paine replace Justin Clarke on the club’s senior list.

Clarke was forced to retire in March after suffering ongoing concussion symptoms.

Paine, 22, will play his first senior game since Round 23, 2014 against Melbourne this Sunday at the MCG.

Very happy that all his great work on locker talk has finally paid off.

Really disappointed that I can't make the player sponsors function now. :angry:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't generally elevate someone unless they are going to play. IIRC they get paid more when they are on the main list. So you would be elevating them and paying them more for nothing if they aren't playing.

You don't generally elevate someone unless they are going to play. IIRC they get paid more when they are on the main list. So you would be elevating them and paying them more for nothing if they aren't playing.
Only more match payments though isn't it? Pretty sure we've elevated players before and not played them. Think he will play though and we will swing McStay forward perhaps.

Only more match payments though isn't it? Pretty sure we've elevated players before and not played them. Think he will play though and we will swing McStay forward perhaps.
sick of mcstay being flung back and forward, how is he going to develop if he doesnt have a set role

completely different players so not really applicable

What is the evidence that McStay will not develop without a set role then, if we're not considering previous players?

What is the evidence that McStay will not develop without a set role then, if we're not considering previous players?

so in your opinion its more beneficial for him to go one week in forward line, one week in defense and pretty much back and forth along with some reserves action?

so in your opinion its more beneficial for him to go one week in forward line, one week in defense and pretty much back and forth along with some reserves action?

Nope, I didn't express an opinion either way.

completely different players so not really applicable

Might be different but that shouldn't exclude a player from having more than one capability. Unfortunately I would rather see Dan learning in the twos, we, unfortunately don't have the players to make that possible, so playing him forward & back shouldn't really set him back, in my opinion. All players have to learn defence & offence, some show straight off they are more suited to one than the other. As long as Dan gets the feedback & we don't have any other options available, it should be an oppertunity for him to grasp. I don't see it as bad coaching, I see it more as "needs" coaching. He can learn how to be a great attacking defender or a great defending forward. Up to him.

Sorry about getting this off track, good luck to Jackson! Wonder if he'll play forward or back? What is his "natural" position & should he only be played there?

Might be different but that shouldn't exclude a player from having more than one capability. Unfortunately I would rather see Dan learning in the twos, we, unfortunately don't have the players to make that possible, so playing him forward & back shouldn't really set him back, in my opinion. All players have to learn defence & offence, some show straight off they are more suited to one than the other. As long as Dan gets the feedback & we don't have any other options available, it should be an oppertunity for him to grasp. I don't see it as bad coaching, I see it more as "needs" coaching. He can learn how to be a great attacking defender or a great defending forward. Up to him.

Sorry about getting this off track, good luck to Jackson! Wonder if he'll play forward or back? What is his "natural" position & should he only be played there?

yeah nah i should probably have raised it in his own thread but just something ive noticed and wasn't sure if it was for the best of his development

For Jackson paine everyone says hes doing great as a defender in 2s but im skeptical given theyve raised that he is quite slow off the mark, so how will he compete with some of the 2nd or 3rd forwards, especially given his height is 191cm and he would be giving up quite alot of size dealing with 200cm+ gorillas, do hope he succeeeds though we need a bit of luck given J Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back