Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard it said by people connected with Tassie u18 team they thought him to be the best football talent for many years coming from their state.
The other boy, Hartman although very young is said to be a prodigious talent.
Two picks by Wells but brilliant choices IMO.
And a couple of his kicks were great spot passes in heavy traffic. Is easy to stuff up those kicks when there is a bit of pressure on, but he did real we'll. reckon he's got it.

I would have thought, whilst being well hyped, that there is a fair list in front of him. Im pretty sure he will get the Hamling treatment... - slow cook and develop for 12 months....

Lets face it, not like we have an abundance of holes in the seniors right now with no one to fill them....

not saying he is not good - far from it - good just doesn't always translate to ready now...

Go Catters

Precisely. Not to mention that physically he'll get smashed until he gets a little bigger. One to watch with interest in the VFL this year though.

Precisely. Not to mention that physically he'll get smashed until he gets a little bigger. One to watch with interest in the VFL this year though.
Interesting comment, he has apparantly put on 5kg since hes been at the cats, how will he be size wise in another few months, dont think it is wise to write someone off for thev year when they have pretty obvious talent. He came over from tassie recovering from fractures, missed the pre xmas competetive work, has joined in with the main group for 2 months played game 1 returning from serious injury in perth on la cras who didnt do damage, then played 2 1/2 quarters very effectiveley sat at 100% disposal efficiency while beating his direct opponent. Not sure so far what else he can do....other than get another oppurtunity to show us some more before we make judgement... Be fun watching what he will achieve at the cats in 2013...no limitations are set

Don't worry I wouldn't expect them to demand to much from Jackson he has shown quite a lot already for a first year kid.
I think they realise he's 'A' grade and the career is only starting, no rush.

Interesting comment, he has apparantly put on 5kg since hes been at the cats, how will he be size wise in another few months, dont think it is wise to write someone off for thev year when they have pretty obvious talent. He came over from tassie recovering from fractures, missed the pre xmas competetive work, has joined in with the main group for 2 months played game 1 returning from serious injury in perth on la cras who didnt do damage, then played 2 1/2 quarters very effectiveley sat at 100% disposal efficiency while beating his direct opponent. Not sure so far what else he can do....other than get another oppurtunity to show us some more before we make judgement... Be fun watching what he will achieve at the cats in 2013...no limitations are set

Agreed, but right now, this is our back six (or even seven):

Lonergan, Taylor, Enright, Rivers, Mackie, Guthrie, with Josh Hunt possibly to return as well. Who does he replace?

Lonergan, Taylor, Enright, Rivers, Mackie, Guthrie, with Josh Hunt possibly to return as well. Who does he replace?
One of the seven who are inevitably injured or rested. Even during the Thompson era the club clearly had no issue with throwing kids in at the deep end if they thought they were up to it. Duncan got games early. Guthrie got games early. The common trait is composure and early on you'd say that Thurlow has that too.

If just our first round picks of the last few seasons make it we look like having some really good talent coming thru.

Menzel, Smedts and Thurlow. All 3 seem to be very decent pick ups. If we can get all 3 in the same team playing well - look out. Lots of talent I reckon in these 3 players. Maybe even Brown may yet make it ?

Yes I totally agree. Would love to see those 4 running around. I reckon Brown will be a quality player for us in the near future. Thurlow needs a year in the 2's and be given the chance to develop properly. 2014 will be his year I think.
Menzel, Smedts and Thurlow. All 3 seem to be very decent pick ups. If we can get all 3 in the same team playing well - look out. Lots of talent I reckon in these 3 players. Maybe even Brown may yet make it ?[/quote]

Thurlow will play at least 4 senior matches this year, played with men most of his late teens so he's more than ready to dominate at VFL standard and gain the nod from the MC.

I'd expect him to replace one of the guys coming back from injury...perhaps a Varcoe every now and again as TV needs to be monitored fairly closely with that troublesome foot etc.

M

My point is,he's been at the cats for 5min, doing not much wrong and lots right,played approx 3 1/2 quarters across 2 games and he is banished in some supporters eyes to as a talent to develop in vfl for 2013. I say sit back have a good look before we all pass judgement.... On not just thurlow but all young players that we have barely laid eyes on.....for any young players who have the right tools and obvious ability ,it is factual they will develop quicker than older players.... Who knows what he might achieve this year?...he might not be in the best defensive 6 in march but reckon he will be in best 9 or 10 defenders in march and then what ranking will he be by september with further time developing in the afl enviroment....who knows....

M
My point is,he's been at the cats for 5min, doing not much wrong and lots right,played approx 3 1/2 quarters across 2 games and he is banished in some supporters eyes to as a talent to develop in vfl for 2013. I say sit back have a good look before we all pass judgement.... On not just thurlow but all young players that we have barely laid eyes on.....for any young players who have the right tools and obvious ability ,it is factual they will develop quicker than older players.... Who knows what he might achieve this year?...he might not be in the best defensive 6 in march but reckon he will be in best 9 or 10 defenders in march and then what ranking will he be by september with further time developing in the afl enviroment....who knows....

Well, at the moment our walk-up best 6 defenders are Lonergan, Taylor, Enright, Rivers, Mackie and Josh Hunt.
Then there are Guthrie, Bews and Eardley, plus Bathie, plus Brown, which makes 11.
So he has a little ground to make up before he gets into that group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M

No it isn't. It's opinion. No one knows who will ultimately make it nor at what time. Putting ridiculous expectations on kids who have yet to play a senior game doesn't help either.

No it isn't. It's opinion. No one knows who will ultimately make it nor at what time. Putting ridiculous expectations on kids who have yet to play a senior game doesn't help either.
Appreciate your support exactly the point i'm making no one knows who is going to make it ,that is an agreed opinion. it is not placing expectation to say lets not write him off as a vfl player till 2014 , as i said lets watch him develop and see where he ends up in 2013.....i would have thought that is exactly what will happen in reality.

Appreciate your support exactly the point i'm making no one knows who is going to make it ,that is an agreed opinion. it is not placing expectation to say lets not write him off as a vfl player till 2014 , as i said lets watch him develop and see where he ends up in 2013.....i would have thought that is exactly what will happen in reality.

Two ways of looking at it. If you're saying he should be selected now, I'd say no way. Hasn't done remotely enough and too many ahead of him.

But, if you're saying he debuts this year and gets senior games if his form warrants it, absolutely. No problems there.

M

Completely understand your point and we have done that... TV, Murdoch, Brown, Guthrie, Duncan, Bundy....

So we are well versed in the theory. Specifically relating it to Thurlow, he is clearly a talent. With that said, we are not dropping Mack or Rivers to get him in. He needs to earn it. Not saying he can't, or wont, but after 2 NAB cup games you aint gonna bump 3 time premiership player in Mack.

No just the starting 6 or 7, but then you have the Varcoe, Murdoch, Mots, all pushing for or holding spots in front of him. Ive seen this movie before and as great as it would be for him to Selwood his way into the team and stay there... it is VERY rare for it to happen....

He probably will tear the VFL a new one and when he does, we will push for his promotion.. but he needs to do it first...

Go Catters

Completely understand your point and we have done that... TV, Murdoch, Brown, Guthrie, Duncan, Bundy....

So we are well versed in the theory. Specifically relating it to Thurlow, he is clearly a talent. With that said, we are not dropping Mack or Rivers to get him in. He needs to earn it. Not saying he can't, or wont, but after 2 NAB cup games you aint gonna bump 3 time premiership player in Mack.

No just the starting 6 or 7, but then you have the Varcoe, Murdoch, Mots, all pushing for or holding spots in front of him. Ive seen this movie before and as great as it would be for him to Selwood his way into the team and stay there... it is VERY rare for it to happen....

He probably will tear the VFL a new one and when he does, we will push for his promotion.. but he needs to do it first...

Go Catters

Yes he needs to earn his spot, although if he goes well enough in the VFL I would love to see him get a game against one of the lower teams. We will most likely rest senior players throughout the year so if he continues to show his talent, throw him a game and let's just see how we'll he's going. At the vary least it will give us supporters something to talk about! I mean gloat about!

Yes he needs to earn his spot, although if he goes well enough in the VFL I would love to see him get a game against one of the lower teams. We will most likely rest senior players throughout the year so if he continues to show his talent, throw him a game and let's just see how we'll he's going. At the vary least it will give us supporters something to talk about! I mean gloat about!

He certainly needs to earn his spot, but when it comes to getting a token game as a defender, he also has to get past the 6 in the best 22, plus Guthrie, plus the other 3 defenders in waiting for their crack at the big time - Bews, Eardley and Bathie (though 2 of them are rookies, of course).

Go Catters

Just on Selwood too, a factor that undoubtedly worked in his favour was in 2007 we had guys with senior experience who the club correctly decided shouldn't be perservered with - Tenace (although he played a few games early), Gardiner, Playfair to name 3. The club wasn't in the situation where there were plenty of youngsters showing promise like now. Not saying Selwood didn't deserve his spot - he did - but he didn't have the competition the kids on the fringe do at the moment.

As for Thurlow, again if he shows blistering VFL form terrific, but right now there are a lot of guys ahead of him.

Don't expect Thurlow to get a senior gig this year - but I concede itmay happen.

He is reasonably physically developed, he has played against bigger bodies and from all accounts is a really good reader of the game and ball - and can take a mark. If he tears it apart in the VFL for a few weeks in a row - and we have a rotation/injury or suspension to cover - he could get a senior game.

I reckon we will see a lot more of Thurlow in 2014 - but I cannot wait to see him play in the VFL this year. He is the most likely first year player we have had since Selwood to debut in his first AFL season.

I don't expect him to have instant senior impact given he's taller than the tough young midfielders that push for selection at various clubs, he's more like the Mackie/Rivers type, 190+ marking athletic player.

VFL is the perfect nursery, by the back half of the season he'll be twice the player we've already seen.
He could be a pearla!

this is why injuries suck bigtime!
He's effectively hurt any shot he even has at gaining senior selection for majority of the 1st half of the season because of a 3 month injury.

He's now up against it from the get go while those others you mentioned will be fit and proper and ready for selection if form warrants so.

I don't expect him to have instant senior impact given he's taller than the tough young midfielders that push for selection at various clubs, he's more like the Mackie/Rivers type, 190+ marking athletic player.

VFL is the perfect nursery, by the back half of the season he'll be twice the player we've already seen.
He could be a pearla!

He is going to be a beauty and will be developed and promoted when ready.
Need to be careful not to get ahead of ourselves and promote too early as this can effect confidence and set the players development back.
In Wells and the MC we trust - he will be the next Joel Corey- 191cm of pure grunt , albeit a little more skilled ;)

I think we all close to the mark.

Jackson's main impediment for AFL games this year may be the depth of talent lined up for games as a defender. So perhaps he might get rotated in at some stage but only if he perform's in an out standing manor. Serviceable is more than acceptable for a 1st year Rookie but probably wont get him games. Now he may get a full game this week V NM and cream it , which could put a different spin on it but from what he has done so far , I doubt he will start against the Hawks.

As far as overclocking his body at a young age , Geelong have been very wary of this. Very few kids play more that they are capable of.

Ironically , if he was a serviceable 203cm kid with a bit size on him , he probably would be closer to a debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back