Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he has been asked to go back to the VFL to work on certain aspects of his game and at the moment he isn't ticking all the boxes

43 disposals is good - but what else has he been asked to do and is he doing that?

On the outer.
Will not be surprised if he seeks a trade at years end.

I would be surprised if he doesn't. There would be several clubs that would look at him as a Pnp ..al the work done ... and be willing to pay all of P50 or so. Unfortunately ..no matter what you pay at draft.. if you fail to use them ..then their value will drop away.

He should move on at the end of the year. Scott has his favorites and clearly Thurlow, for some reason only Scott knows, isnt one of them. We'll lose another genuine contributor coming into his prime for next to nothing, but atleast he'll go somewhere that can give him a decent shot at a career.

My opinion is its the Wattphenomenon. Perhaps he is just not the contested ball type that Scott wants?
I think Thurlow has a point of difference with his kicking. Not everyone is a contested beast. But clearly he’s not doing what they want him to.

I think Thurlow has a point of difference with his kicking. Not everyone is a contested beast. But clearly he’s not doing what they want him to.

CE .. I have always liked Thurlow.. I have a preference , a weakness I guess for guys who can kick.. probably can forgive certain things when you do others well.. but I suspect he lost his spot when we brought in 2e..another good kick.. and he has one thing that Thurlow lacks... durability. Does Scott think he just is not made of robust stuff?

Have a look at who CS has added and played this year..most are reasonably strong in a contest ..and you just know..as soon as Cockatoo is fit he will be back in.

Whats Thurlows tackle numbers like? His inside or outside numbers. I suspect he is the type Clarkson would have found a spot for... which is rather ironic.

He should move on at the end of the year. Scott has his favorites and clearly Thurlow, for some reason only Scott knows, isnt one of them. We'll lose another genuine contributor coming into his prime for next to nothing, but atleast he'll go somewhere that can give him a decent shot at a career.

In what way has he been a "genuine contributor"? He had 5 games and didn't do anything to suggest he deserves a spot. Cunico, Henry, Black and Murdoch have clearly outperformed him in similar roles. He's performed on a par with Zuthrie and O'Connor but they both have youth on their side and in my opinion have bigger potential weapons in their armoury.

He'll probably get another crack before the end of the year and i hope he takes it but right now he'd be lucky to be in the top 30 on our list. That's nothing to do with playing favourites it's just a fact that he hasn't performed when given the chance.

In what way has he been a "genuine contributor"? He had 5 games and didn't do anything to suggest he deserves a spot. Cunico, Henry, Black and Murdoch have clearly outperformed him in similar roles. He's performed on a par with Zuthrie and O'Connor but they both have youth on their side and in my opinion have bigger potential weapons in their armoury.

He'll probably get another crack before the end of the year and i hope he takes it but right now he'd be lucky to be in the top 30 on our list. That's nothing to do with playing favourites it's just a fact that he hasn't performed when given the chance.
You say Thurlow only performed on par with Guthrie? He basically performed on par with Cam Guthrie! and s**t all over zac Guthrie in every statistic by over approx 30%. I don’t understand the basis of your grand statements. Check the stats, fantasy, supercoach stats whatever and if there not favorable, maybe put something else up to support your statement .

Thurlow has not been great but so as Zach. I would have picked Thurlow for his bigger body and experience, especially the mc gave his the praise after his vfl game

CE .. I have always liked Thurlow.. I have a preference , a weakness I guess for guys who can kick.. probably can forgive certain things when you do others well.. but I suspect he lost his spot when we brought in 2e..another good kick.. and he has one thing that Thurlow lacks... durability. Does Scott think he just is not made of robust stuff?

Have a look at who CS has added and played this year..most are reasonably strong in a contest ..and you just know..as soon as Cockatoo is fit he will be back in.

Whats Thurlows tackle numbers like? His inside or outside numbers. I suspect he is the type Clarkson would have found a spot for... which is rather ironic.

Thurlow only laid two tackles in the VFL last week. A big issue with this board is the posters here see “42 possessions” and that’s all that matters.

Must remember there’s 22 blokes on a field, and every one of them needs to play their role for us to be successful. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

You say Thurlow only performed on par with Guthrie? He basically performed on par with Cam Guthrie! and s**t all over zac Guthrie in every statistic by over approx 30%. I don’t understand the basis of your grand statements. Check the stats, fantasy, supercoach stats whatever and if there not favorable, maybe put something else up to support your statement .

But you don’t have to use stats to support your argument?

Thurlow averaged 16 disposals in his five AFL games this year. Inflated by a 22 possession game and the fact he played through the midfield and on a wing as the below heat map shows.

99EDDAEE-396B-49A9-8EE3-6ECA794EFBDC.png

Zach Guthrie averaged 13 disposals in his six AFL games this year, just three less than Thurlow. This despite being confined to a back pocket.

36E02A69-200E-4E2E-883C-334EA2DA1FD6.png

So I think the original comment was pretty well spot on. But what this also illustrates is that Zuthrie and Thurlow have played very different roles this season. And Zuthrie is clearly the better replacement for Black based on exposed form at AFL level.

Except he didn't 's**t all over Zac Guthrie in every statistic' and certainly not in terms of overall impact. As @BORRIS332 said they've played different roles.

But here are a couple of stats comparisons for you. For score involvements Thurlow is in front by all of 0.1 per game (2.6 to 2.5) despite his supposed strength being his attack from defence. He's 26th at the club. He also turns the ball over about more than Guthrie (2.6 to 1.8) and intercepts the opposition less (2.4 to 4.2). These aren't signs of a guy he's 'shitting all over'. Unfortunately at the moment he's a back flanker who's not great defensively and not hurting the opposition going the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thurlow averaged 16 disposals in his five AFL games this year. Inflated by a 22 possession game and the fact he played through the midfield and on a wing as the below heat map shows.

That 22 possession game inflated his average from 14.5 to 16...

Zach Guthrie averaged 13 disposals in his six AFL games this year, just three less than Thurlow. This despite being confined to a back pocket.

Also inflated by a 22 possession game. In fact that 22 possession game inflated his average from 10.6 to 12.5.

Last edited:
Watch him go to Hawks or Tigers and rediscover his exquisite kicking prowess

They won't take him he'll only get games at a bottom 6 club like carlton gc st kilda bulldogs etc.

Except he didn't 's**t all over Zac Guthrie in every statistic' and certainly not in terms of overall impact. As @BORRIS332 said they've played different roles.

But here are a couple of stats comparisons for you. For score involvements Thurlow is in front by all of 0.1 per game (2.6 to 2.5) despite his supposed strength being his attack from defence. He's 26th at the club. He also turns the ball over about more than Guthrie (2.6 to 1.8) and intercepts the opposition less (2.4 to 4.2). These aren't signs of a guy he's 'shitting all over'. Unfortunately at the moment he's a back flanker who's not great defensively and not hurting the opposition going the other way.
Anyone can all isolate stats , the argument that a defender has a disadvantage over a midfielder is stupid. Thurlow played defense v port Adelaide in what a lot say was our best defensive performance of the year. Let’s see how Zach guys this week, he has another opportunity at least

But you don’t have to use stats to support your argument?

View attachment 512781

View attachment 512785

So I think the original comment was pretty well spot on. But what this also illustrates is that Zuthrie and Thurlow have played very different roles this season. And Zuthrie is clearly the better replacement for Black based on exposed form at AFL level.
You can slant things which way you want. How about compare Thurlsvto Cunico and Murdoch up until post essendon game when Thurls dropped. Take out Pirt game as thurlow23 played as defender!!
Cunico averaged 17.5 Thurlow 17 and Murdoch 15.5 .

You can slant things which way you want. How about compare Thurlsvto Cunico and Murdoch up until post essendon game when Thurls dropped. Take out Pirt game as thurlow23 played as defender!!
I wonder where Thurlow is best suited. I recall he was used as our Josh Hunt replacement for a while with his beautiful kicking out after a behind. That has not happened this year. He seemed destined to be a go-to HBF. We already have Tuohy and Henry. Tuohy actually concerns me a bit as the weak link in our "defensive" set up, but if he is, we are doing pretty well- Tuohy has some unique strengths as well.
Thurlow used to go for speccie marks and seemed quicker, more daring. That ACL has certainly zapped his speed, confidence and live-for-the-moment type play.
I really hope he finds his mojo this year, and stays with us

Couple of beauties there by Jackson

I wonder where Thurlow is best suited. I recall he was used as our Josh Hunt replacement for a while with his beautiful kicking out after a behind. That has not happened this year. He seemed destined to be a go-to HBF. We already have Tuohy and Henry. Tuohy actually concerns me a bit as the weak link in our "defensive" set up, but if he is, we are doing pretty well- Tuohy has some unique strengths as well.
Thurlow used to go for speccie marks and seemed quicker, more daring. That ACL has certainly zapped his speed, confidence and live-for-the-moment type play.
I really hope he finds his mojo this year, and stays with us

Couple of beauties there by Jackson

Versatility is there but I think half back and I think he can rebound or lock down. For the doubters I can’t recall a game where he got stitched up playing that role? I found a afl story in 2015 focusing on the comps best lock down defenders he was ours and conceded 0.67 goals per game from 14 games at the point the story was written. The year he got a rising star nom.

That wasn’t the question, try to keep up.

Watched it live today. Can't say I see the major issue with Jacko.

He does drift in and out of games - and today he was not alone there - but his attack on the ball, reading of play, and skills were pretty good - at least from where in the Antarctic cyclone stood. Went when he needed to.

Its only 1 game of course and that dont make a career - but why he's so out of favour is beyond me. Not an A grade player by any means yet but he haas the tools and if Murda can make 100 games for us, Jacko should too IMO.

GO Catters

He does drift in and out of games - and today he was not alone there - but his attack on the ball, reading of play, and skills were pretty good - at least from where in the Antarctic cyclone stood. Went when he needed to.

Its only 1 game of course and that dont make a career - but why he's so out of favour is beyond me. Not an A grade player by any means yet but he haas the tools and if Murda can make 100 games for us, Jacko should too IMO.

GO Catters

24 years old. Should not be drifting in and out of games at VFL level. I’ll be staggered if he plays 100 AFL games (I hope to be wrong).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO Catters
And according the Ch 7 not only had 43 odd possessions the previous week, but many tackles, hard ball gets etc etc. Must have played a blinder however he is clearly on the outer with CS who continues to bang out the line that if they play well in the 2'sthey will get a game in 1's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back