Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

He is going to be a beauty and will be developed and promoted when ready.
Need to be careful not to get ahead of ourselves and promote too early as this can effect confidence and set the players development back.
;)

This, I think sets our club (and perhaps Collingwood apart).

Selwood and to a lesser extent Taylor = quick look : ready to go.
Duncan and to a lesser extent Menzel = quick look: rest up : ready to go end year 1
Bundy/Guthrie - quick look , look for more in VFL , another look AFL : ready to go end year 2
West- needs lots of time, quick look, needs time, quick look, OK there is a premiership on here - go for it. year 4
Brown - wow! , injured, injured, time in VFL, maybe ready to go. Year 5.

Its no secret - development allows Wells and Co. to select players who tick some basic boxes but who are not ready by normal measures. I hope Hartmann / Hamling/ Eardley fit this mold.

I need some help who is likely to play after two years of development?

I think we all close to the mark.

Jackson's main impediment for AFL games this year may be the depth of talent lined up for games as a defender. So perhaps he might get rotated in at some stage but only if he perform's in an out standing manor. Serviceable is more than acceptable for a 1st year Rookie but probably wont get him games. Now he may get a full game this week V NM and cream it , which could put a different spin on it but from what he has done so far , I doubt he will start against the Hawks.

As far as overclocking his body at a young age , Geelong have been very wary of this. Very few kids play more that they are capable of.

Ironically , if he was a serviceable 203cm kid with a bit size on him , he probably would be closer to a debut.

Agreed TC - see Hamling...

Go Catters

Liked the Big Ts game yesterday, couple of mistakes, but in general looks a lovely kick and positions himself well. Corey Enright type.

Is a big Smokey to work into a back flank role this season...will put a lot if pressure on Guthrie

Agreed TC - see Hamling...

Go Catters

About Hamling, from what I could understand from SEN ramblings Hamling when on the ground got a fair bit of the ball, is that right?
The kid has made giant strides to develop his string bean frame over the pre-season and now seems to be on the right track.

About Hamling, from what I could understand from SEN ramblings Hamling when on the ground got a fair bit of the ball, is that right?
The kid has made giant strides to develop his string bean frame over the pre-season and now seems to be on the right track.

No, 6 possessions, 66% game time.

Media knowledge at this time of year is less than ours.. well lets say at min. sometime less than ours.
DR said at one stage on the Fox coverage that Thurlow was drafted p322011 , which was Hamling. So what the radio called as Hamling who knows. He was involved in play at times , thats for sure.
For mine what Hamling has shown so far , in no way makes him a definite player for future years. He has a lot of work to do , and I suspect a timeline similar to Mitch Brown , perhaps 4-5 years before we know anything. Standing next to the North players he looked like he needed 4-5 years in the gym.

Thurlow looks far closer to being ready than that , as I said elsewhere can see him as another mid , not just a defender.

Media knowledge at this time of year is less than ours.. well lets say at min. sometime less than ours.
DR said at one stage on the Fox coverage that Thurlow was drafted p322011 , which was Hamling. So what the radio called as Hamling who knows. He was involved in play at times , thats for sure.
For mine what Hamling has shown so far , in no way makes him a definite player for future years. He has a lot of work to do , and I suspect a timeline similar to Mitch Brown , perhaps 4-5 years before we know anything. Standing next to the North players he looked like he needed 4-5 years in the gym.

Thurlow looks far closer to being ready than that , as I said elsewhere can see him as another mid , not just a defender.

I think Wells was well aware that Hamling would take more time to develop than most players due to his physique, but at the same time, I would suggest that he thought that there was too much talent there to pass up.

Emma Quayle's comments sum Hamling's situation up for me. I disagree with Turbo, I think that Hamling will be a regular player in the future, but I think that we will have to be patient. He is very athletic and has good skills but needs time to develop a man size body.
Wells clearly saw something in him to make him our first pick in that particular draft. I think that he will develop into a versatile tall who will be able to play at both ends of the ground should he be required. But he will take time.

GEELONG: Two years ago the Cats traded one choice for two, slightly down the order. They ended up with Allan Christensen and Nathan Vardy when they would otherwise have landed just one. The club did the same thing this year, sacrificing its first choice, in the 20s, for two in the early 30s, and the end result is just as promising. Joel Hamling is one of the skinniest kids you will lay your eyes on, but he has enormous talent and is going to a club that can a) afford him that time and b) has a habit of getting the best out of kids.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/done-and-drafted-20111126-1o0kc.html#ixzz2N6ZPVL7A

When Scott came to the club he said we would be planning for 2015. If that's the case Thurlow will be a big part of it and I'd love to see him get 6-8 senior games this year, maybe more.

Liked the Big Ts game yesterday, couple of mistakes, but in general looks a lovely kick and positions himself well. Corey Enright type.

Is a big Smokey to work into a back flank role this season...will put a lot if pressure on Guthrie
That was my first thought when I first saw him, reminded me very much of a young Boris and everything I've seen since has just reinforced this thinking

I think Wells was well aware that Hamling would take more time to develop than most players due to his physique, but at the same time, I would suggest that he thought that there was too much talent there to pass up.

Emma Quayle's comments sum Hamling's situation up for me. I disagree with Turbo, I think that Hamling will be a regular player in the future, but I think that we will have to be patient. He is very athletic and has good skills but needs time to develop a man size body.
Wells clearly saw something in him to make him our first pick in that particular draft. I think that he will develop into a versatile tall who will be able to play at both ends of the ground should he be required. But he will take time.

Is that based on what you have seen Rabbi or just trusting SW. I think most would agree that SW has had more success at the draft mid types rather than talls , but thats probably more to do with the picks we have had. Its why I have level of confidence that Thurlow will become a regular and why I have less for Hamling.

When Scott came to the club he said we would be planning for 2015. If that's the case Thurlow will be a big part of it and I'd love to see him get 6-8 senior games this year, maybe more.
I said last week after nab 2 that Thurlow will developer into a player based on that game. I also said I would love him to sneak a game or two in against lower teams like GCS and GWS. After watching nab 3, I would love him to be given every opportunity to push into the AFL this year. Liked what I saw, made a couple of small errors but on the whole looks like a real player. Seems to have the ability to put himself in the right area to receive the footy. You can't be taught that. I should know my old man tried on many occasions and it never worked for me! Thurlow has it in spades.

saw a glimpse of his prodigious vertical leap when he went to spoil the ball, should have tried grabbing it but punched it across the boundary line.
Elevation was sick!

The draft footage highlights what a fantastic overhead mark he is and he's obviously got major hops, love players with natural spring, really liked his game on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be really good... not this year...

VFL time to hone it all up.... and I feel he will push hard later in the year.... but many in front of him...

GO Catters

Is that based on what you have seen Rabbi or just trusting SW. I think most would agree that SW has had more success at the draft mid types rather than talls , but thats probably more to do with the picks we have had. Its why I have level of confidence that Thurlow will become a regular and why I have less for Hamling.

Turbo, if we are talking skills, I think Hamling has more than Thurlow. The problem for Hamling is that he is a young man in a skinny kids body. He has good hands, moves very well, and is a good kick of the football. Have a look at his videos to see his athleticism. He is not just an athlete but an athletic footballer, and there is a huge difference between the two.

Hamling's problem is that he has the misfortune of playing on KP forwards (or defenders) who will be considerably bigger bodied than he is. Thurlow will not have the same problem. In fact, Thurlow looks reasonably well developed through the thighs and hips already. It is his upper body that will need a bit more gym time.

And to answer your question, Yes, I do go down and watch the VFL and I keep a keen eye on the AFL/Rookie listed players performance. I take considerably less interest in non listed players as they could end up at any club should they enter the draft. So I am not the bloke to ask about them.
I also do not credit Stephen Wells with some sort of draft selection infallibility. After all, he is the same bloke who selected Charlie (I cannot make a decision) Gardinar, The Natural, Henry Playfair, Kane Tenace, Tom Gillies and the list goes on.

I have confidence in Hamling as a skilled future tall, not because of what he is now, but because of where I see him in the future when he acquires some development in his body. Get down to the VFL and watch the kid. He can play. But he will take time. And I think that the club's patience will be rewarded in the not too distant future.

joel-hamling-mark-jpg.13113
Photo By Arj Giese.

Attachments

• Joel Hamling Mark.jpg
    Joel Hamling Mark.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 393
Fair enough , Rabbi. Have no problem with anything you have said. However I do feel that 'the misfortune" you speak of is less luck and more just AFL. I do usually see a couple of VFL games but he was not playing when I went last year.
So perhaps what I have seen is just too premature for his stage of development. But I do have concerns when we pick anyone that will take so many years to be ready in the current climate. With FA , these days available and much better acceptance of drafting mature players , Im not sure guys like Brown and Hamling are good value unless they eventually become core players in your side.
It will be interesting who ends up playing more Hamling or Kersten.

It will be interesting who ends up playing more Hamling or Kersten.

Kersten walked in the door with an AFL ready body @ 191 cm and 92 kgs.

If Hamling was 92 kgs I am sure that your fears would be allayed.

I havent read all of this thread as yet but I really think we have a player in Thurlow.
Theres a few little things I see in him that I saw in guys like Scarlett, Taylor, Enright etc.
Firstly I like when the ball is coming into the contest, be in a 1v1 or a pack, he always punches to the correct spots, its either to the line or towards a Cats player, so he has the footy smarts to recognise the situation and not just punch away to stop his opponent.
Secondly he finds space and seems more often than not to find it in the right spots, he reminds me of Mackie and Enright more-so there, always seems to have time which is a huge trait to have and something that cant be taught.
Thirdly he doesnt mind the hard stuff and backs himself in, I've seen him go against guys 15+kgs heavier than he is and although not win the contest didnt look overawed by it either.
He has good disposal, nice kicking style and seems to always use it correctly, looks to have decent hands and good running ability and I would think would play a handful of games this year as a minimum, he wont cement a spot unless we lose Enright or Mackie longterm as he's just too small otherwise but another pre-season and another year in the gym and he might just come on in leaps and bounds come 2014.
Will be ANOTHER Wells gem I reckon, and he has enough to retire a very rich man as it is.
Should be make the Bronze statue of Wells into Gold or Platinum yet?

I think Hamling will play a major contributing role in the VFL this year and probably put on 2-3 kilo more through the season.
He'll be worth following throughout the year.

I havent read all of this thread as yet but I really think we have a player in Thurlow.
Theres a few little things I see in him that I saw in guys like Scarlett, Taylor, Enright etc.
Firstly I like when the ball is coming into the contest, be in a 1v1 or a pack, he always punches to the correct spots, its either to the line or towards a Cats player, so he has the footy smarts to recognise the situation and not just punch away to stop his opponent.
Secondly he finds space and seems more often than not to find it in the right spots, he reminds me of Mackie and Enright more-so there, always seems to have time which is a huge trait to have and something that cant be taught.
Thirdly he doesnt mind the hard stuff and backs himself in, I've seen him go against guys 15+kgs heavier than he is and although not win the contest didnt look overawed by it either.
He has good disposal, nice kicking style and seems to always use it correctly, looks to have decent hands and good running ability and I would think would play a handful of games this year as a minimum, he wont cement a spot unless we lose Enright or Mackie longterm as he's just too small otherwise but another pre-season and another year in the gym and he might just come on in leaps and bounds come 2014.
Will be ANOTHER Wells gem I reckon, and he has enough to retire a very rich man as it is.
Should be make the Bronze statue of Wells into Gold or Platinum yet?

Gee that post is a bit all over the place, teaches me to post when my daughter wants my undying attention, sorry all :p

I think the thing about Hamling is when he does stick those telescope arms up and takes a grab, he's got a bit of that 'Wow, who is that?' about him. You notice him when he's in the action, whereas, if someone like GHS made the same play, he wouldn't stand out as much.

Hamling is still a rake, but he's a beautiful mover. One to watch down the track, but doubt he'd make his debut in 2013.

Hamling probably needs 2-3 more preseasons while Thurlow probably only needs 1 more.

I thought there was a fair bit shown by Hamling. Good hands, speed, athleticism, didn't over commit on players. What I think he really lacks is just Confidence and Size. You heard it here. Will be at least nominated for AA in the future if he play defense. Big call

Remove this Banner Ad

Back