Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was stiff to be dropped and hung out to dry based on one bad turnover that didn't directly result in a goal anyway.

Thought he was good today.. But they all were against witches hats, keeps his spot for next week where the same result should follow.. Then it's onto him to play well in a final and we can see what he's really made of

I thought he was stiff to be dropped and hung out to dry based on one bad turnover that didn't directly result in a goal anyway.

Thought he was good today.. But they all were against witches hats, keeps his spot for next week where the same result should follow.. Then it's onto him to play well in a final and we can see what he's really made of

Him and about 15 others, yes ..

Kicking inside 50 is a feature I’d like to see more of. Always been his strength.

I reckon big hawk would like some more of that delivery!

Several years since I posted here. Thurlows hands below his knees are not elite. However he brings a lot of positives to the table in that he runs hard and has good skills. I just hope that he continues to get a go and some of our forwards who keep getting resurrected (thankfully not this week) get put out to pasture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought O'Connor was in the team for Bews, with Bews back you drop O'Connor.

But, MC be MC. I bet first week of finals we bring in Parsons and Stanley.

Maybe with shifting Guthrie more into the midfield last week they have bought Bews in to play Guthrie's role down back & play alongside O'Connor

I've been rewatching the game this morning and I actually think he was quite poor defensively. The attacking side of his game is fine, but unless he can play in the seniors as a pure winger he needs to have good defensive capabilities.

Bottom half of team for disposals.
Bottom third of team for DE%.
Only 3 handpasses.
No One-Percenters.
Again drawing comparison against Guthrie, who I thought played his best game since returning from injury, lets look at their stats:
Thurlow - 15 kicks, 3 handpasses
72% efficiency
4 tackles
7 inside 50's
1 goal
0 one percenters

Guthrie - 7 kicks, 10 handpasses
83% efficiency
3 tackles
2 inside 50's
0 goals
0 one percenters

Majority of Guthries ball use was by hand so you would expect him to have a higher DE.

It always surprise me how a player seems to have a lot of potential but gets ignored by a match committee. I really like Thurlow and think he's got some really nice attributes. He's gone back to the VFL and played really well and getting to the age where he's entering the best years of football you'd expect. The O'Connor selection, particularly before a final series seems so flakey. Sure he was better against Freo, but against Hawthorn he was such a liability with ball in hand. Reminded me of social netball games where you have that one person on your team who you do not want to get the ball and will stand as close as possible to get a clean pass. We cant go into a final series with 21.

Again drawing comparison against Guthrie, who I thought played his best game since returning from injury, lets look at their stats:
Thurlow - 15 kicks, 3 handpasses
72% efficiency
4 tackles
7 inside 50's
1 goal
0 one percenters

Guthrie - 7 kicks, 10 handpasses
83% efficiency
3 tackles
2 inside 50's
0 goals
0 one percenters

Majority of Guthries ball use was by hand so you would expect him to have a higher DE.
I should have explained.
I didn't see the game, and I wasn't comparing him with anybody else.

The issue is, what does the MC see as his assets - sufficient to keep trying him in the 1sts and sufficient to keep encouraging him by listing him as an emergency - and why do they keep dropping him despite these assets.

Obviously, he's pretty quick, has good closing speed and a big leap, he's a good tackler, and in set plays is a long accurate kick.

However, it seems equally clear to me from watching him that he is not a good modern footballer; he does not initiate, link up with or support team-mates in chain attacks; he does not read ahead of the play and either plan or instinctively know what he should do before he gets the ball; too often when attacking, especially under pressure, he just takes the easy option of hoofing the ball into the forward line either to a contest or to the opposition; and when we switch to team defence, he concentrates solely on one player and does not show the flexibility and zoning ability necessary to back up or support team-mates.

Hence, no handpasses, poor disposal efficiency with his kicks inside 50 (remember that long kicks to a contest count as 100% even if the opposition gets them, so he must have been kicking short and/or direct to the opposition), and no one-percenters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back