Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

I should have explained.
I didn't see the game, and I wasn't comparing him with anybody else.

The issue is, what does the MC see as his assets - sufficient to keep trying him in the 1sts and sufficient to keep encouraging him by listing him as an emergency - and why do they keep dropping him despite these assets.

Obviously, he's pretty quick, has good closing speed and a big leap, he's a good tackler, and in set plays is a long accurate kick.

However, it seems equally clear to me from watching him that he is not a good modern footballer; he does not initiate, link up with or support team-mates in chain attacks; he does not read ahead of the play and either plan or instinctively know what he should do before he gets the ball; too often when attacking, especially under pressure, he just takes the easy option of hoofing the ball into the forward line either to a contest or to the opposition; and when we switch to team defence, he concentrates solely on one player and does not show the flexibility and zoning ability necessary to back up or support team-mates.

Hence, no handpasses, poor disposal efficiency with his kicks inside 50 (remember that long kicks to a contest count as 100% even if the opposition gets them, so he must have been kicking short and/or direct to the opposition), and no one-percenters.
You should watch the game. His kicking was a def asset. Many times going for the attacking kick through the corridor and lots of quality inside 50's.

I have explained why I think those figures may be significant in the context of the MC's long-term assessment of Thurlow.

Our mythical "small forwards" have absolutely nothing whatever to do with the issue.

Small forwards = free pass.
Wish they were a myth. Gregson got 12 games for almost nothing and 15 for Fogarty.
Thurlow, Murdoch etc, tough luck!
No support at all .

need to have a balance of good offensive players and good defensive players as well as ball winners and good ball users

unfortunately for Thurlow he is a good offensive player and a good ball user attributes Scott doesn't like

with those abilities you need to have good continuity so you can learn how your team mates play and them learn how you play (in order to take advantage of your good kicking skills)

O'Connor in comparison is slightly better defensively but his disposal is mediocre, mainly just handballs and chip kicks

our backline is terrible offensively, there is no Josh Hunt or Andrew Mackie to hit up high risk targets and break zones and there is no Wojo to break the lines

in high pressure games we fall apart cos of lack of skills

Scott cant structure a side

good luck to Thurlow he will get picked up for sure at a bargain price, will pay off for the lucky club in 2-3 years if they develop him properly

On stats he did much better than O'Connor. eg, 4 tackles to none. I say O'Connor, becasue to me he ain't AFL material.
Not relevant to the point I was making.

And defenders generally record buggerall tackles anyway. Our 7 defenders (Kolo, Henderson, Blicavs, Tuohy, Stewart, Taylor, O'Connor) had only 10 between them last week.

Can't see the justification for his omission, I thought he had a pretty good and efficient game.
I said elsewhere the only reasoning I can find is they want another game into O'Connor but even that doesn't really make sense because we all know continuity is absolute key for success in finals and 1 in-1 out doesn't build continuity.
I like Thurlow and think the club have completely dropped the ball in regards to his selection, this is going to hurt big time when he's traded for a third rounder considering we skipped over Grundy for him.....

Not relevant to the point I was making.

And defenders generally record buggerall tackles anyway. Our 7 defenders (Kolo, Henderson, Blicavs, Tuohy, Stewart, Taylor, O'Connor) had only 10 between them last week.

You can't even credit these guys for a job well done an AFL record FGS's.
Obviously they were doing something right you don’t think???

Thurlows downfall isn't because of Scott, its because Scarlett.

Doesn't rate him as a defender.

Jackson will be picked up by another club and will be inside their best 22 and hopefully playing a role that suits his strengths.

Wish him all the best.

Jackson will be picked up by another club and will be inside their best 22 and hopefully playing a role that suits his strengths.

Wish him all the best.

Not sure how true that is - but could it be an indication that Henry has gone past him and is rated as the better option going forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

need to have a balance of good offensive players and good defensive players as well as ball winners and good ball users

unfortunately for Thurlow he is a good offensive player and a good ball user attributes Scott doesn't like

with those abilities you need to have good continuity so you can learn how your team mates play and them learn how you play (in order to take advantage of your good kicking skills)

O'Connor in comparison is slightly better defensively but his disposal is mediocre, mainly just handballs and chip kicks

our backline is terrible offensively, there is no Josh Hunt or Andrew Mackie to hit up high risk targets and break zones and there is no Wojo to break the lines

good luck to Thurlow he will get picked up for sure at a bargain price, will pay off for the lucky club in 2-3 years if they develop him properly
lol awful take yet again from you. Really shouldn’t be surprised.

Thurlow’s poor form since his knee is no one’s fault but his. We will not get burnt by him leaving.

Sad it has ended like this but AFL is a ruthless business.

You'd have to think that his kicking ability could be utilized better in another role.
I often ponder what can be done better to beat the forward press. JT's marking and kicking should be weapons to get past that first or second line of opposition's forward defense. IMHO

Wish him all the best.

Scott has authority, he is the coach.

Wish him all the best.
You are on the money, It is a known fact that Scarlett is the Problem, there is no room for an argument on this one, I can Guarantee if Scarlett wasn't there Thurlow would be a regular player, Don't come back at me and say the MC has the last say, because that is not true.

You are on the money, It is a known fact that Scarlett is the Problem, there is no room for an argument on this one, I can Guarantee if Scarlett wasn't there Thurlow would be a regular player, Don't come back at me and say the MC has the last say, because that is not true.
Any info on this? I've heard here that Scarlett isn't a fan but can't find any real evidence?

Well, the MC must have had the last say last week.

We will not get burnt by him leaving.

Maybe, maybe not. But certainly not half as burned as some here feel by his initial recruitment in any case.

Hindsight says we erred significantly in taking him instead of Grundy. Although the knee injury has potentially had a say in what he's ended up being capable of producing with us.

But I suspect the reality is that he is now borderline for an AFL gig anywhere.

He may well get a go somewhere else, I admit. But I will be quite surprised if he kills it there and becomes a 6-8 year player at that next club.

I personally think he might go the way a few others have since departing the Cattery.

Two to three years on another list bouncing around between the ones and the magoos before eventually being delisted.

I do sincerely wish him all the best as I've always been a fan of his.

But I think he's about 30-70 to make it as a regular senior player in the AFL from this point.

Only time will tell.

Re the last paragraph people said the same about Lang though and even Carlton dropped him to the vfl. I think Thurlow should have got more games than he has but i'm unconvinced he'll star at another club.

Re the last paragraph people said the same about Lang though and even Carlton dropped him to the vfl. I think Thurlow should have got more games than he has but i'm unconvinced he'll star at another club.
He doesn’t have to star. Just better then the player we keep instead of him. O’Connor playing instead when we have bews coming back thus no need for a another small defender is a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back