Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no expectation that he will get a run this year, just hoping he comes on well. from what I saw today he has a nice base to build with.

Nice base to work off... good way to look at it. Probably has a similar set of attributes as Duncan , perhaps more defensive minded. Will be quite a good pick by 2016.

He's going to be a beauty. Looked far more settled today , goes in hard and can use the footy.
He is Murcoch size and give him another 2 preseasons and he will be our next Joel Corey.
I'm a big fan.

You said it all for me, Thurlow is going to be a beauty when he matures up a bit, and Murdoch's a real nice size, actually he's deceptively big. Like a Goddard.
Hamling played well, starting to develop, I think we might have a player in the making the signs are good.

we might get spoiled again because some of our kids coming through are exceptionally talented.

If you read through the main board thread today, you can see opposition supporters saying this as well which speaks volumes.
I know I tend to say it quite often but because Geelong are not a media powerhouse like the Melbourne-based clubs, they slip under the radar and so some players don't get the hype like a good deal others do.

The crop of talent we are starting to witness...Menzel, Horlin-Smith, Caddy, Vardy, Hunt, Duncan, Motlop, Smedts, Thurlow, Christensen etc, it's getting taught by the great veterans of that famous 2001-2003 drafts so the upside could very well be astounding imo.

35590871.jpg

I agree with all of the comments above. We have a great pool of talent at the moment. The key will be to keep them all because I can potentially see a log jam at some stage. Loved Browns game today, showed a fair bit of his talent.

I agree with all of the comments above. We have a great pool of talent at the moment. The key will be to keep them all because I can potentially see a log jam at some stage. Loved Browns game today, showed a fair bit of his talent.

One thing that stood out to me at the game today was his disposal and decision making - just had a look and he had 100% disposal efficiency with 7 kicks & 3 hb's in just over half a game. Good sign. Wait til he starts racking them up like the 45possies he had vs Vic Metro!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that stood out to me at the game today was his disposal and decision making - just had a look and he had 100% disposal efficiency with 7 kicks & 3 hb's in just over half a game. Good sign. Wait til he starts racking them up like the 45possies he had vs Vic Metro!
Where did you find the stats SS?

Did really well but there should be no pressure about playing AFL at this stage. Give him a taste of it this year and then by next year we should be looking for him to really press for a regular spot.

Happened the last time around. First Sprigs and co and then Gamble a few years later. It's a good problem to have. If you are complacent with your spot in the team you play like Melbourne.

Yeah looks like the kid can play that's for sure. Unless we get a lot of injuries this season I cannot see him playing AFL just yet. A year learning the Geelong structures via the VFL team. Then another preseason under his belt 13/14 and he'll be ready for his debut in the AFL team in 2014.

Unless of course the kid rips it up in the VFL this year and presses himself for selection.

Either way it'll be win/win.

Heard it said by people connected with Tassie u18 team they thought him to be the best football talent for many years coming from their state.
The other boy, Hartman although very young is said to be a prodigious talent.
Two picks by Wells but brilliant choices IMO.

Did really well but there should be no pressure about playing AFL at this stage. Give him a taste of it this year and then by next year we should be looking for him to really press for a regular spot.

Yep. As promising as they were, you could really see the difference in maturity and decision making. I'd say for Thurlow, Hamling, Kersten and Walker don't even worry about this year, hopefully we see strong VFL form all year (perhaps the odd game), then reassess next year once they're all bigger and fitter.

I would have thought, whilst being well hyped, that there is a fair list in front of him. Im pretty sure he will get the Hamling treatment... - slow cook and develop for 12 months....

Lets face it, not like we have an abundance of holes in the seniors right now with no one to fill them....

not saying he is not good - far from it - good just doesn't always translate to ready now...

Go Catters

I would have thought, whilst being well hyped, that there is a fair list in front of him. Im pretty sure he will get the Hamling treatment... - slow cook and develop for 12 months....

Lets face it, not like we have an abundance of holes in the seniors right now with no one to fill them....

not saying he is not good - far from it - good just doesn't always translate to ready now...

Go Catters

Basically the way I see it. He could probably play a role if we are hard pressed. Neat players always impress MC's because they feel that that will be able to handle the ball without turning it over. But we have several players that will be desperate to have their chance to fill that role if a spots available. For example , how desperate will Cowan be to just be fit , be in form at the right time.

2013 V 2012 - Its already apparent that Caddy & GeorgeHS will pushing hards for mid spots.Rivers will grab a spot and Varcoe will play its just a matter of where. Give him a few games and his class coming out of the backline will be very tempting , epecially if we can release him to kick goals while playing back there. And of course we all hope Menzel will come back into the side up forward. Guys like Motlop are probably feeling pressure to hold their spot as well.

So unless the injury curse hits cant see him really pushing hard enough to get in this year

To be honest I dont really want him to play AFL this year, except for a gimme game against GWS or GCS. Just want him to Learn our style of play in the 2's. maybe a run is the seniors will wet his appetite and give him something to aim for. Love the way the MC are bringing on our young blokes. They really know what is required to make a guy with ptential be a great A grader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back