Universal Love Jackson Trengove appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeahhhh I just don't buy those stats as being at all accurate. How they can tell that Martin got his hand on it and Trengove didn't from 100m away even with military grade binoculars baffles me. Hitouts if accurately assessed are nigh on the most pointless stat in the AFL. Inaccurately assessed Hitouts even more so.

Martin did get a couple of nice taps to advantage in their forward line, granted. But Jacko was easily the better "ruckman" on the day.

need to remember that Martin doesn't actually hit to lions advantage...If he got a heap more you wouldn't notice as they just don't damage the opposition

need to remember that Martin doesn't actually hit to lions advantage...If he got a heap more you wouldn't notice as they just don't damage the opposition
Hmm maybe. I still reckon there are plenty of times that would be a flip of the coin as to who "won" the hitout but a +1 goes into the HO column for one ruckman or another based on reputation and / or perception.

According to champion data he got 12 out of 51 to advantage and Trengove got 3 out of 14. He got 3 very good clear hit outs to advantage in the first quarter from throw ins on the eastern side inside 50 that should have been 3 goals but Lions only scored once from them - think it was a goal but not 100% sure, definitely a score resulted.

According to champion data he got 12 out of 51 to advantage and Trengove got 3 out of 14. He got 3 very good clear hit outs to advantage in the first quarter from throw ins on the eastern side inside 50 that should have been 3 goals but Lions only scored once from them - think it was a goal but not 100% sure, definitely a score resulted.

Champion data are full of s**t, in particular in ruck hit out stats.
Personally I reckon the only ruck count that has meaning is hitout to advantage.

pretty low really when not faced against an actual ruckman. Watching martin this year he often doesn't even compete against seasoned rucks and gives them a free run (ie trys to read the ruck as a mid). Stats show he tried much harder knowing he was against a non-ruck but geez he wasn't really that effective in the scheme of things.

I believe I mentioned somewhere here pre-game not to worry about port not playing a ruck as Martin wont really be that much more damaging in the contest. It was no surprise to me.

I did miss the 1st quarter, so I will take your word for that. Watched most the 2nd & 3rd quarters and he was pretty average. 4th quarter I didn't concentrate much on the game

Yeahhhh I just don't buy those stats as being at all accurate. How they can tell that Martin got his hand on it and Trengove didn't from 100m away even with military grade binoculars baffles me. Hitouts if accurately assessed are nigh on the most pointless stat in the AFL. Inaccurately assessed Hitouts even more so.

Martin did get a couple of nice taps to advantage in their forward line, granted. But Jacko was easily the better "ruckman" on the day.

And a lovely tap to advantage in our forward line too.

#BOG

Champion data are full of s**t, in particular in ruck hit out stats. Personally I reckon the only ruck count that has meaning is hitout to advantage.
I get my team manager to keep a tally on each clearance as:

1. Our clean take away
2. Our messy take away
3. Break even
4. Their messy take away
5. Their clean take away

Clean = first possession, minimal pressure, linked into second/third possession.
Messy = first possession but under the pump/tackled, linked into space or a contest.
Break Even = Another ball-up in the same-ish location

We frequently dominate the ruck and have a lot of 3's, 4's and much to my chagrin, 5's. Sometimes we lose the ruck and have 1's and 2's! I guess what I am saying is there isn't a distinct and clear 1:1 relationship between ruck hit outs and the midfield winning a clearance. It gets even more nebulous when you try and take it further and correlate clearances to scoring.

I like the analogy that winning a clearance is a bit like a lottery, but having a good ruckman gives you more tickets to that lottery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it before the game (when people were having a melt-down here), Trengove will do a great job in the ruck. He somehow goes from a lumbering, slow KPP, to a slick agile midfielder/ruck. The big question raised was, can he do it for a full game? Why not I say? He is a fit player and runs out full games as a KP backman, why would that change playing full-time in the ruck? I am so surprised at everyone being so surprised! :huh:

I like the analogy that winning a clearance is a bit like a lottery, but having a good ruckman gives you more tickets to that lottery.

I've never heard it that way, but its a reasonable one.

I wonder how he feels now, saying he doesnt want to ruck...
Maybe after this game, the acknowledgement he has got out of it and the votes etc he might have changed his tune?
Had this debate with REH before the match. Being a good competitor in the ruck was never the issue, it had more to do with his bash and crash attitude and body not standing up to it at the time.
He may have a dwcwnt leap but it's the body contact stuff that makes him good.

When did he say he didn't "want" to ruck? All I remember from Jacko was that he said he was willing to play whatever position that Ken wanted him to. This was shortly after Ryder was suspended.

Even if it was true that Trengove didn't want to play in the ruck - and I'm sure he did say something along those lines once - I have no doubt that a performance like Sunday's would change his mind.

I get my team manager to keep a tally on each clearance as:

1. Our clean take away
2. Our messy take away
3. Break even
4. Their messy take away
5. Their clean take away

Clean = first possession, minimal pressure, linked into second/third possession.
Messy = first possession but under the pump/tackled, linked into space or a contest.
Break Even = Another ball-up in the same-ish location

We frequently dominate the ruck and have a lot of 3's, 4's and much to my chagrin, 5's. Sometimes we lose the ruck and have 1's and 2's! I guess what I am saying is there isn't a distinct and clear 1:1 relationship between ruck hit outs and the midfield winning a clearance. It gets even more nebulous when you try and take it further and correlate clearances to scoring.

Sensational post mate. The Paddy Ryder-style tap straight down the throat of a running midfielder who streams towards attacking 50 happens rarely, sometimes never in a game. (In fact it seems to be happening even less this year! ;)) More often than not it comes down to the positioning, activity and willingness to scrap of the ground players.

When did he say he didn't "want" to ruck? All I remember from Jacko was that he said he was willing to play whatever position that Ken wanted him to. This was shortly after Ryder was suspended.
IIRC it was quoted in some sort of article quite a while back. Cannot remember what article or who was supposedly quoted as it being the reason.
May have even been the club itself looking after him trying to get the body right.

Perhaps someone with smarter fingers to keypad phone could run a search on this board if they really wanted to. :D

Last edited:
I love having Trengove around the ball more with him in the ruck, he always seemed like the sort of guy who we could move into the ruck for a finals series and have him wreak havoc on the opposition with his aggression both in the ruck and at the man. It remains to be seen if his body can stand up to rucking full time, although I couldn't say if it's a position that's likely to give you more injuries than other ones on the ground anyhow (unless your a Port ruckman in the SANFL in which case it seems like you're lucky to last more than a half without picking up some sort of debilitating injury).

I appreciated your efforts today Jacko. You were on a hiding to nothing today - which you copped.

I looked up at the big screen either just before or just after half time and you were second in the clearances only one behind Priddus. You are giving it your all. Hopefully our list management numbskulls wake up and you are never put in this position again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back