Free Agency Jackson Trengove [signed with Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been saying all year that I'd love him at the Hawks.

Very reliable defender and rarely beaten. Almost a Carlisle-type situation where he's been forced to play a role he is not suited for just to fill a need (Fwd/Ruck). But now that Carlisle has returned to the backline he is a much better player.

Key defenders don't grow on trees. 500-550k a year is fair.

I am surprised Collingwood has not shown interest. Would be a nice foil to Darcy or free Reid up to play forward by going back.

I've been saying all year that I'd love him at the Hawks.

Very reliable defender and rarely beaten. Almost a Carlisle-type situation where he's been forced to play a role he is not suited for just to fill a need (Fwd/Ruck). But now that Carlisle has returned to the backline he is a much better player.

Key defenders don't grow on trees. 500-550k a year is fair.
Would be a good pick up by Hawks imo, as sures up your defence.

IMO, it's probably best for both Port & Trengove to part ways, which looks likely if he is not picked for the 1st final.

I am surprised Collingwood has not shown interest. Would be a nice foil to Darcy or free Reid up to play forward by going back.
Would make far more sense than Mayne as you need experienced talls.

I think one of Hawks, Bulldogs or Collingwood would get the most value out of him. The reality is, he's played way out of position as a forward and ruck, but was always a solid defender.

Nfi what his currency is and own supporters tend to overrate worth. We'd be getting peanuts regardless due to his contract status, but I think a first rounder and *gun player here* should do it. We'll throw in Lobbe and Toumpas as steak knives.

I think one of Hawks, Bulldogs or Collingwood would get the most value out of him. The reality is, he's played way out of position as a forward and ruck, but was always a solid defender.

Nfi what his currency is and own supporters tend to overrate worth. We'd be getting peanuts regardless due to his contract status, but I think a first rounder and *gun player here* should do it. We'll throw in Lobbe and Toumpas as steak knives.
Think your 1st paragraph is spot on.

However, he is a restricted free agent, so think Port will end up with the compo pick.

Would be a great fit as a 2nd kpf lockdown role.

Think it's more role/first 22 minutes/ years rather than coin (as thatll be similar) that will move him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was always under the impression that Roughead was a defender first and foremost, who only got put into the ruck out of necessity ).

It's pretty much exactly the opposite. Drafted as a ruck/forward. Was trialled as a defender

Good get. Does this impact Cloke or will he be used as purely a defender?

Cloke obviously hasn't delivered what would have been expected of him...and obviously Boyd is a bit up in the air.

Good get. Does this impact Cloke or will he be used as purely a defender?

Cloke obviously hasn't delivered what would have been expected of him...and obviously Boyd is a bit up in the air.

I'd imagine Trengove is being targeted as a kpd

Would say worst case scenario 2nd round compo best case end of first. But would think 2nd is the most likely outcome, which is somewhat poor for a really good defender 2nd ruck with a lot of good footy left in him.

The question is what does port do if we are bringing in a free agent ourselves ?

Do we just let Trengove go and forsake getting any compo? Do we match and keep him since we will get no compo? Do we try to force a trade ? The latter two have their own problems.

In my mind if we are bringing in say a Rockliff or Motlop I would not let Trengove go. I would match and keep him or even trade for a pick even if it's a lateish pick.

If Port are getting Motlop it'd probably be worth forcing a trade, even just for North's third rounder or something. Port get a better pick than the nothing they'd get if Trengove and Motlop cancelled each other out, and the Dogs still get a bloke who'll walk into their best 18 at a huge bargain price.
Yeah I'd be ok with giving up a third. I think if our second rounder is Port's asking price we're walking away.

Just a question though, from what I hear in the media over the last few years, Port's salary cap is tight. If you guys land Motlop/Rockliff and get left with Trengove, would you go over the cap? Wonder if that comes into negotiations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back