Teams Jacksonville Jaguars - Touchdown Town

Remove this Banner Ad

Jaguars waive Carroll after arrest

I'm not one to start a thread over a seemingly meaningless transaction but its interesting to see how 1st round picks bring no guarentees... obviously there will be some who follow the same path as these two guys below, and although Sammy Davis has a team (Tampa Bay) he will very much be fighting for a roster spot.

Sammy Davis
Draft: 2003 - 1st round (30th pick) by the San Diego Chargers

Ahmad Carroll
Draft: 2004 - 1st round (25th pick) by the Green Bay Packers

In a perfect world Carroll would now be a cornerstone to the Packers defense with there nice young group of line-backers.

Re: Jaguars waive Carroll after arrest

I think it's interesting how serious the NFL are getting about player behaviour at the same time the AFL is going nuts about it.

The line the NFL are drawing makes sense as some of these incidents are way over the top. The AFL though are jumping at shadows.

I think the NFL will never be able to stop what happens with its players, they can only dicipline them better. Purely on the basis they have rosters of 50+ and 32 teams plus the turnover of players in and out of teams who still get linked to the NFL once they have been to a mini-camp or played a couple of games.

say... 1800-2000 players a year there is a fair chance they are going to get caught doing something they shouldnt and surely they cant be nieve enough to think everyone doesnt smoke pot or whatever.. haha, or train fighting dogs (vick, haha)... etc

Hands & Heels

Debutant
Aug 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Phillies

All he did in his time at Green Bay was 1. - get burnt in coverage and 2. - attract penalty flags for interference/holding/illegal contact calls.

His departure represented an immediate upgrade to the secondary!

I think it's interesting how serious the NFL are getting about player behaviour at the same time the AFL is going nuts about it.

The line the NFL are drawing makes sense as some of these incidents are way over the top. The AFL though are jumping at shadows.

I think every club has some kind of culture within that is slowly steering toward a level of NO tolerance. Nothing to do with with on field performances but more about school of attitude acceptance within the leadership group. I don't believe it's worth comparing NFL to AFL as the media has an uncanny ability to BLOW up a story from nothing.

In short: Aussie media can be so unprofessional and over sensationalise minor detail whereas the USA media are quite blase...depends on the size of the fish really.

The new commissioner Goodell is taking a harder stance on delinquent behaviour. So he should. :thumbsu:

sjsdu

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne & California
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
49ers-NFL Kings-NBA Giants-MLB
Jags give QB Garrard 7-year, $60M deal

Old news.....A lot of money for ONE playoff win. Although, $60m is less than Dallas is paying Tony Romo, who has ZERO playoff wins. This is the going rate. Garrard played well last year and made very few mistakes. He was instrumental in their win at Pittsburgh. His 3 INTs was the league low for starting QBs. He is 30 years old and ought to be able to earn some of this money the next few years for the Jags.

Re: Jags give QB Garrard 7-year, $60M deal

Money well spent, but he won't be the starting QB in 7 years time. Looking forward to a few more playoff wins from him. In the one season would be good. And winning the AFC South at least once.:)

Is currently performing quite well in Jets TC, will be interesting to see if he makes the final roster. One beat writer had him as a darkhorse for a starting CB position. Would be good for him if he has turned around his idiotic ways.

Another NFL Player Shot

NFL Jaguars' Richard Collier shot, in critical condition in Jacksonsville
Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Richard Collier was shot early Tuesday morning in Jacksonville, Florida.

What on earth is going on? He’s the third NFL player to be shot in the past 18 months.

Washington Redskins player Sean Taylor was killed during a burglary of his home in Miami in November last year.

Broncos player Darrent Williams was killed when he was shot in a rented limo after a New Year’s Eve part at a Denver nightclub at the beginning of 2007.

Collier, 26, who stands 6-7 and weighs 345 pounds, was shot multiple times and is now said to be in critical condition at Shands Jacksonville Medical Center.

The shooting took place at approximately 2:45 a.m. in a middle class neighborhood west of downtown Jacksonville.

Collier and a pal, former Jaguars player Kenneth Pettway, were in a car outside an apartment building, waiting for a woman (or women) to meet them, when gunfire broke out.

Sheriffs are investigating.

Source - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2008/09/jaquars-richard.html

Hopefully the big fella makes a complete recovery.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

8927.jpg

Mini-camp kicks off 2010
Del Rio sets tone

Saturday, May 1, 2010
By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editor

Mini-camp and a new season have begun and it was ushered in on Saturday with what coach Jack Del Rio called a “new culture” in the locker room.

“Our culture in our locker room over the last couple of years has changed. We’re just not going to tolerate things that won’t help us win a championship,” Del Rio told reporters following a late-afternoon practice in front a strong and enthusiastic turnout of fans.

The team’s familiar faces were joined by a crop of newcomers that includes four defensive linemen that were selected in last weekend’s draft. Leading the way is first-round pick Tyson Alualu, who immediately stepped into the lineup on defense at tackle.

“Great to be outside working. It was a beautiful day to kick off our 2010 season,” Del Rio said.

Del Rio gave a post-practice address that would best be described as tone-setting. He used the media to send the message to the team’s fans that his expectations are for an unflagging effort this season.

“We talked to the team about committing. We’re looking to be better … to make sure we can have a great year,” Del Rio said.

In his season-ending address following the conclusion of a 7-9 record last year, Del Rio told reporters that his expectation for 2010 would be to make it into the playoffs. Clearly, his expectations haven’t changed.

“This is going to be the focus point this year. We’re going to make sure we give a little bit more. That’s what I’m going to demand of the group and of myself,” he said.

Defense will be another focus point. The Jaguars defense collapsed in the face of four consecutive losses to end last season. The Jaguars allowed 107 points in those four games.

“We’ve got to make significant strides (on defense),” Del Rio said.

A draft-day trade with the Raiders for middle linebacker Kirk Morrison added to last weekend’s makeover on the defensive side of the ball. Morrison immediately becomes the team’s starting middle linebacker.

“He’s definitely hungry. He’s a take-charge guy. Things we’ve really been looking for, he’s going to add there,” Del Rio said of Morrison.

Three players did not practice: Aaron Kampman and Greg Jones are rehabbing from knee and ankle surgeries respectively, and second-year tight end Zach Miller sat out practice with what Del Rio characterized to be a minor foot injury.

“We’re looking for any leadership that’s willing to be courageous and not only demanding of themselves but of their teammates, too. We want guys playing with their hair on fire. We’re going to prop up guys who do it that way. We cannot sit around and let mediocrity and average take place. It starts today,” Del Rio added.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 28, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All I could pull from 68 pages of threads.
The least talked about team in 8 or so years of BF NFL activity.

Despite their almost universal unpopularity, if I had the choice to play for any franchise the Jags would be right up there. Great location (Florida), waterfront, weather, under the radar, decent football team (but let's be honest this is of minimal importance...as long as you were 'living the life' winning or losing would become indifferent. That's the way it is these days isn't it?). Though in a struggling market how long would it all last?

People have mentioned that Russell could be a target for Jacksonville, but I reckon with Morrison on the team there, he'll no doubt advise them against it, how bad Russell was taking naps in film and team meetings, etc.

I can see Jags making a push for a Schaub-like trade with another team's back-up QB.

You'd hope they would if for no other reason than to light a fire under Garrard. Checkdown McCown won't be starter while Garrard is there, but he still needs a rocket in the form of competition to get the best of Garrard ala '07. As opposed to the version of the last two seasons where there has been no competition. To be fair, the team had a lot of holes last year and still almost made the playoffs. I'd say it's his final year as starter though as a first rounder should be used on a QB in the next draft.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Problem is Russell isnt NFL caliber.
He got interviewed on NFLN or ESPN and mentioned no team has shown any interest in him so far since his release.
He wouldnt push Garrard. Jags better off trading for a back-up with potential.

Florida and California would be great places to play for a team. Even as a sports-pro, lifestyle would be a big factor for me.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Have a soft spot for the Jags, I've been following NFL (on and off) for about 20 years, and my favourite player is Fred Taylor, the guy is a fricken beast! Was annoyed that of all the teams he left Jacksonville for, it was the Patriots, the only time I'm glad he keeps getting injured! As a tribute, my YT name is "28jaguar".

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
C'mon all you Jaguars fans. Surely this must make you made?

Del Rio throws OC under the bus

The Jaguars offense was in quicksand for most of Sunday’s game against the Browns, just like it has been all season.

The team got the ball back down four points with 2:49 to go. Amazingly, they drove the ball all the way down to the two-yard line with 13 seconds left. (After wasting 28 seconds after their last first down.)

This was going to be Blaine Gabbert’s first nice moment as a pro. The Jaguars got three cracks to win the game:

1. One-yard run by Maurice Jones-Drew.

2. Dropped pass by Jason Hill in the end zone.

3. Errant throw by Gabbert ends the game.

The team has taken a lot of criticism for not giving Jones-Drew the ball on the final play. We don’t mind the play call. It just didn’t work. We can’t believe Jack Del Rio’s post-game explanation for the decision.

“Our offensive coordinator [Dirk Koetter] calls the plays. I can’t speak to his thinking. You’ll have to get with him,” Del Rio said via the Florida Times-Union.

Uh, what? That statement partly helps explain why Del Rio’s time in Jacksonville has run its course. He’s essentially saying he’s not the head coach; he’s the defensive coach. He’s either admitting that or throwing Koetter under the bus.

We understand that Koetter calls the plays. But it’s Del Rio’s team.

The Jaguars had just called timeout with eight seconds left, so surely Del Rio was involved in the discussions on what would happen.

“We certainly talked about those things through the course of the drive. We got down and took our crack. You can make a case for doing that. You can guess any number of plays when you don’t connect. [It’s] a missed opportunity,” Del Rio said.

Mike Tomlin, Bill Belichick and Mike Smith would all be involved in a call like that. They are defensive coaches, but they make big decisions on offense. It’s their team.

They would own the call after the fact too.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I worked with a guy once who didn't really have an interest in the NFL, but chose the Jaguars because he was into prestige cars. That was in Australia, so there's another Jax fan. But I guess they're not truly supported.....until they make a Super Bowl and/or win one, then look out! They'll be popping out everywhere.

Btw, there is a Jags fan on this board, Oscarman, who is a genuine supporter and follower of american football.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lol, exactly...

Josh Scobee and Desean Jackson in Twitter feud

Jaguars kicker Josh Scobee and Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson have engaged in a war of words on Twitter.

It apparently started because Scobee was watching Sunday night’s Eagles-Giants game and was turned off by Jackson’s taunting penalty. That led Scobee to go on Twitter and write, “Desean Jackson is a punk. #growuputinybastard.”

Scobee heard from some fans who thought it wasn’t particularly respectful to call Jackson a “tiny bastard,” and so he followed up by writing, “Relax people. He’s just a punk, which to me means he doesn’t respect anyone or anything around him. Therefore, I don’t respect him.”

A day later, Scobee apparently felt remorseful, so he offered a third tweet: “Shouldn’t have called Desean Jackson that, I used the wrong words to try and make my point.”

But that quasi-apology didn’t appear to mollify Jackson, who went on Twitter today to rip Scobee for ripping him.

“This man @joshscobee is Waaaaaaay outta LIne!! Stick to ya Own business.. Mind ya own!! I don’t respect what u sayin.. Lil Boi status,” Jackson wrote. “Plus I don’t even know who this guy is!!”

“I don’t even know who this guy is” always makes for a good comeback. One wonders, however: If Jackson doesn’t know who Scobee is, why does he care enough to make an issue of Scobee’s tweet?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
This thread might explode when Jacksonville drafts RGIII...

Gabbert Bad Enough Jaguars Might Draft Another QB

Blaine Gabbert is playing so badly right now that the Jaguars may consider something practically unheard of in the NFL: Taking Top 10 quarterbacks in back-to-back drafts.

Gabbert’s horrible game in Thursday night’s loss to the Falcons has continued a horrible rookie season for the quarterback the Jaguars chose with the 10th overall pick in this year’s NFL draft. Gabbert is last in the league with a passer rating of 65.6, and he looks lost out there. It’s tough to see why the Jaguars’ next coach, whoever he is, would want Gabbert as his starting quarterback.

So would the Jaguars, who will likely draft somewhere between the fourth and 10th overall picks, take a quarterback? It’s impossible to say right now, as we have no idea who the new coach will be or what kind of offense he’ll run. We also don’t know where new owner Shahid Khan stands on the matter, and whether he’ll take a hands-on or hands-off approach to the draft. But if Baylor’s Robert Griffin III or USC’s Matt Barkley is available to the Jaguars, they’d have to think long and hard about drafting one of them in the Top 10.

That almost never happens. The Cowboys used their first-round picks in 1989 and 1990 on quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh, but the 1990 pick was used in the supplemental draft. (The Cowboys traded Walsh to the Saints in 1990.) The last time a team used consecutive first-round picks in the regular draft on quarterbacks was in 1982-83, when the Baltimore Colts drafted Art Schlichter and John Elway. But that was a highly unusual circumstance in which neither one of those quarterbacks played for the team in 1983: Schlichter was suspended for the entire 1983 season, and the Colts traded Elway to the Broncos before he ever played a down for Baltimore.

Before the Colts, you have to go all the way back to the early 1960s Los Angeles Rams to find a team that used first-round draft picks on quarterbacks in back-to-back years. The Rams actually drafted quarterbacks in the first round three years in a row: Roman Gabriel in 1962, Terry Baker in 1963 and Bill Munson in 1964. But Baker was a college quarterback who played halfback in the NFL, so that’s not quite the same thing, either. Prior to those Rams, the last team to draft quarterbacks in back-to-back first rounds was the 49ers, who took Earl Morrall in 1956 and John Brodie in 1957. The 49ers traded Morrall to the Steelers before the 1957 season.

What does this history lesson tell us? NFL teams only take quarterbacks in back-to-back first rounds under the most extraordinary of circumstances. If Jaguars G.M. Gene Smith takes a quarterback in the first round a year after he took Gabbert 10th overall, he’ll be doing something NFL general managers just don’t do. But Gabbert might be bad enough to make the Jaguars do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back