Teams Jacksonville Jaguars - Touchdown Town

Remove this Banner Ad

GM: “Gus is who the Jaguars need now and in the future”

350x-332.jpg

The Jaguars made it official, announcing that Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley had become the fifth head coach in franchise history.

In their press release, the Jaguars stressed that they’ve found a long-term fit to go with new general manager David Caldwell.

“It was just a matter of time before Gus Bradley became a head coach in the NFL,” Caldwell said, “and the Jacksonville Jaguars are extremely fortunate that Gus will be on our sidelines for many years to come. Gus more than met every criteria we insisted on from our new head coach, and his intangibles and leadership abilities are exceptional. Gus is who the Jaguars need now and in the future.”

Bradley set a high bar for himself in the process.

“I am very proud to accept the offer to be the next head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars,” the new coach said. “[Owner] Shad Khan and Dave Caldwell expect to win, and that’s what I wanted to hear. That’s why I am coming to Jacksonville – to win a Super Bowl. I can’t wait to meet everyone in Jacksonville on Friday and get this going.”

Bradley’s first appearance in Jacksonville will be tomorrow, but his first order of business will be sorting out their mess at quarterback and how to proceed, and that will take much longer.

Gus Bradley vows to “bring some enthusiasm to Jacksonville”

jagsfans.jpg

New Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley was energetic at his introductory press conference on Friday morning, and he said energy is what he’ll bring to the moribund franchise in Jacksonville.

“Let’s bring some enthusiasm to Jacksonville like the city deserves,” Bradley said.

That’s important for the Jaguars, who haven’t had a winning record since 2007 and are dogged by questions about their long-term viability in Jacksonville. Bradley says he’s going into this job excited about what he can bring to the franchise.

“I just want to be me, and we talked about it during the whole head coach search: I love coaching football, I love helping players get better, helping coaches get better,” Bradley said. “I had a great opportunity to lead 30 guys up in Seattle. What I’m most excited about is to lead 80 guys. I love that opportunity to lead this team and to maximize everybody. Not only the players but the coaches, and let’s do it better than it’s ever been done before.”
Bradley comes to this job after having served as the Seahawks’ defensive coordinator, but he says he isn’t simply focused on defense.

“I don’t want all the games to be 10-7,” he said. “We need to be explosive. On the offensive side, one of the things I understand is what hurts defenses, what causes us problems. Multiple personnel groupings, multiple formations, diversity with the quarterback running game, with spreading it out, with the two-back run game, the zone.”

The biggest question facing Bradley’s new team may be whether it has a quarterback who can run that explosive offense. Although new Jaguars G.M. David Caldwell has slammed the door on bringing in Tim Tebow, Bradley did not close the door on trading for Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn, saying only that he can’t talk about it now while Flynn is with the Seahawks.

Whether it’s Flynn or someone else, a new quarterback may be even more important than a new coach for bringing some enthusiasm to Jacksonville.

Super Bowl Insider: Niners, Ravens show Jags right way to build winner

NEW ORLEANS | Team building for the Jaguars has been the only topic since owner Shad Khan revamped the front office by hiring general manager Dave Caldwell, who then hired coach Gus Bradley.

Caldwell came from Atlanta, which has made the playoffs in four of the last five years.

Bradley came from Seattle, which has made the playoffs in two of the last three years.

With them they will bring their ideas, combine them and put a plan in motion to make sure the Jaguars don’t remain an NFL punching bag.

But Khan’s modus operandi is to look at everything, and it’s something he will no doubt pass on to Caldwell and Bradley.

The GM and head coach should look at this year’s Super Bowl participants for an assist on the template. On their current 53-man rosters, the 49ers and Ravens have a combined 61 players (57.5 percent) who were original draft picks. A look at how they’ve been built.

FIRST-ROUND SUCCESS

The Jaguars’ first-round draft history is dismal: Reggie Williams (ninth in 2004), Matt Jones (21st in 2005), Reggie Nelson (21st in 2007) and Derrick Harvey (11th in 2008) flamed out. Tyson Alualu (10th in 2010) was over-drafted, and the jury has doubts about Blaine Gabbert (10th in 2011).

Only Alualu, Marcedes Lewis (28th in 2006) and Eugene Monroe (eighth in 2009) were starters at the end of 2012 and, arguably, only Monroe is a building-block player.

Compare that to Baltimore and San Francisco.

The Ravens have drafted durable players and complemented them with a space-eating nose tackle and stopped the quarterback issues by selecting a passer from Delaware.

Playing key roles on Sunday will be Ray Lewis (1996), Ed Reed (2002), Terrell Suggs (2003), Haloti Ngata (2006), Joe Flacco (2008) and Michael Oher (2009). Only Oher can’t be considered a home-run pick by general manager Ozzie Newsome.

San Francisco’s first-rounders on the roster are Alex Smith (2005), Vernon Davis (2006), Patrick Willis and Joe Staley (both 2007), Michael Crabtree (2008), Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati (both 2010), Aldon Smith (2011) and A.J. Jenkins (2012).

Willis is the best linebacker in pro football. Davis and Crabtree eventually got it, and the line was built around tackles Staley and Davis and guard Iupati. Alex Smith was having a fine season until he got hurt and was replaced by Colin Kaepernick.

SECOND-DAY FINDS

The mining of talent didn’t stop after the first round. Let’s consider rounds 2-4 as the next tier of picks.

Baltimore picked right guard Marshal Yanda (third round, 2007), running back Ray Rice (second round, 2008), linebacker/pass rusher Paul Kruger (second round, 2009), tight end Ed Dickson (third round, 2010), tight end Dennis Pitta (fourth round, 2010) and receiver Torrey Smith (second round, 2011).

San Francisco hit pay-dirt in the 2011 second round by trading up to draft Kaepernick.

Kaepernick and running back LaMichael James are the only two second-round picks on the 49ers because they have used a high second-rounder to trade up into the late first-round to draft Staley and Iupati.

After the second round, the 49ers have hit with running back Frank Gore (third round, 2005), defensive tackle Ray McDonald (third round, 2007) and linebacker NaVorro Bowman (third round, 2010).

SELECTIVE IN FREE AGENCY

Baltimore has spent money on its own draft picks, sometimes choosing one over another. It signed Yanda after the lockout and let homegrown guard Chris Chester sign with the Redskins. They let linebacker Adalius Thomas walk to New England for big money.

Why spend on players you don’t know? The Ravens’ pro free agency selections include team-first veterans like center Matt Birk (2009), fullback Vontae Leach (2011) and cornerback Corey Graham (2012).

The 49ers’ 13 longest-tenured players are all draft picks. They spent for defensive end Justin Smith in 2008. After the lockout, they signed center Jonathan Goodwin, safety Donte Whitner and, to a one-year contract, cornerback Carlos Rogers.

It’s right there for the Jaguars to analyze.

Jaguars owner Shahid Khan says hosting a second Super Bowl isn’t among his goals for Jacksonville.

Khan also touched on several other Jaguars-related topics:

■ He doesn’t anticipate the Jaguars spending big in the opening days of unrestricted free agency next month. “We have to focus on really putting a team together through the draft and then filling a hole or two with free agents,” he said. “That is the winning model.”

■ He said “stay tuned,” when asked if the Jaguars will be unveiling a new logo or uniform designs. “It will be rolled out [on] the NFL’s schedule. It’s going to be great.”

The league generally handles uniform unveilings around the draft in April but the Jaguars can reveal a new logo on their own time.

I think it would be in the Jags best interests to draft down and stockpile picks which would include snaring Mike Glennon from NC State. Standing at 6' 6"/ 220, cannon of an arm, quick release/ smart mechanics, with big pocket presence... this GUY is the STEAL of the 2013 draft!! Projected late first - likely second round.

I think we have the first pick in the second round which might do it. On trading down, I agree this is a good strategy. Getting a pick around 10-12 and another around 20 would be a good outcome for pick 2, if anyone was interested in trading up that is.

I think we have the first pick in the second round which might do it. On trading down, I agree this is a good strategy. Getting a pick around 10-12 and another around 20 would be a good outcome for pick 2, if anyone was interested in trading up that is.
You go for Jags, Cavs, Melb and Eels? Poor guy.

soooooo who's keen for tebow to come to the jags, does it make much football sense (no-brainer in terms of marketing and for fans)

can tebow win with a far worse team in the jags than the broncos were

David Caldwell has trashed that idea three times now....once when interviewing for the GM job, once when asked by the media pre-draft, and once by the media post-draft when jets released tebow.

It's kind of biblical that, like when Peter denied Christ three times to the Romans....then he got on his hands and knees and asked for forgiveness and accepted Christ.

Caldwell to follow?

i'm hoping,
i wasn't a tebow fan but have been converted, and the jags makes the most sense, even considering onfield opportunities, there isn't a better place for tebow to start

its going to be impossible for him to back-up anywhere and he is certainly intriguing, would love to see them take a chance and pull it off,

on a slightly more realistic option, how old is he? you have to be 30 to be a senator, if his nfl career doesn't work, republicans would jump at having him onboard.

The thing with Tebow btw....he's a great athlete. For instance, at the Combine, apart from the 40 time, he led all QBs in every other facet....cone drill, broadjump, vertical jump, etc. And those times against RBs was very high too. He seriously should consider converting to a RB, he's fast enough and an absolute load to handle. Tebow at Jacksonville as a RB would be a lot more realistic and Caldwell SHOULD try to persuade Tebow on that path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with Tebow btw....he's a great athlete. For instance, at the Combine, apart from the 40 time, he led all QBs in every other facet....cone drill, broadjump, vertical jump, etc. And those times against RBs was very high too. He seriously should consider converting to a RB, he's fast enough and an absolute load to handle. Tebow at Jacksonville as a RB would be a lot more realistic and Caldwell SHOULD try to persuade Tebow on that path.

as a qb he brings an intangible asset that can't be displayed at rb, considering that the careers of non-qbs vs abs, an dhow long their careers are, i can see why he does not want to switch. He also is a winner at the qb position, if he signs and stinks up the joint he is no worse than gabbert, in which case the jags are prime position for next years qb class and the myth of tebow is forever dispelled (considering how new the coach is in his tenure no-one will blame him), if he signs and wins than that is perfect either way

The problem is the Jaguars do not want to run a read-option base offense. In the NFL, to win, you need to be able to pass, high volume. Tebow is not good enough to be a prototypical passer, and thus why his stock is limited and falling like a stone. The only contract he's been offered has been to play back-up QB for a minor league Arena team earning $750 a game or whatever. That shows you how low his stock is.

The problem is the Jaguars do not want to run a read-option base offense. In the NFL, to win, you need to be able to pass, high volume. Tebow is not good enough to be a prototypical passer, and thus why his stock is limited and falling like a stone. The only contract he's been offered has been to play back-up QB for a minor league Arena team earning $750 a game or whatever. That shows you how low his stock is.

I think that's a long reach to assume high volume passing is the real answer to winning in the NFL.
Balance is the key. As Tebow isn't proficient in read option as we all know, doesn't mean the team hopes are considerably washed up... Rexy didn't use him effectively as well as he could have. Mixing it up ie: wildcat, having Tebow as a decoy can work wonders plus having the occasional bomb downtown could of made it more unpredictable for Rexy's opponents.

I still think Tebow can flourish if used wisely. Opposition weaknesses need to exposed.

High volume for Tebow meaning a usual day out for the likes of Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, Brady

In the ballpark of 28/38, 320 yards, 3:1

Tebow's not proficient enough to be a stand-alone quarterback, attempting 38 passes a game, running an entire offense that the OC can call an array of plays with complex routes, needing accurate deep-mid passing efficiency, that needs the qb to also be proficient at diagnosing coverages, making hot-route reads, blitz recognition, making multiple progressions, non-designed pump-fakes, toying with Safeties.

His Denver year was more like 7/15, 110 yards, 0:1

Where he was given a read-option to make in a designed run, and mostly designed one-read passes or on plays with a single WR running a route (see Thomas TD vs Steelers in OT).

With a new regime in the coaching ranks.... one senses that Gus Bradley is more about low key, less about a circus for training camp and quite the man on a mission to mould his TEAM his way to take forward than the 'success starved' fan base who are just naive to think Tebow is still the answer.

Meanwhile the ad nauseam propaganda is still the talk of the town:rolleyes:

936778_10151486132447670_1460036727_n.jpg

there comes a certain point where maybe a circus is a good thing (hear me out). i mean really in the nfl who are the circuss' the cowboys and the jets (big markets but national coverage), what the jags need are some hype, when you're state has 3 nfl teams there is only so much of the pie to eat, and if you can get media coverage and more support, this drums up some fans but also bodes well for keeping the team in jacksonville,

yes it is a lot to hope for, but there is a certain amount of urgency with this franchise they've done Sweet FA, and i doubt they can afford to wait around again without taking a further hit in current and future support base.

Also considering that everyone is doing the slow build, there is nothing to differentiate a franchise in desperate need of its own identity

there comes a certain point where maybe a circus is a good thing (hear me out). i mean really in the nfl who are the circuss' the cowboys and the jets (big markets but national coverage), what the jags need are some hype, when you're state has 3 nfl teams there is only so much of the pie to eat, and if you can get media coverage and more support, this drums up some fans but also bodes well for keeping the team in jacksonville,

yes it is a lot to hope for, but there is a certain amount of urgency with this franchise they've done Sweet FA, and i doubt they can afford to wait around again without taking a further hit in current and future support base.

Also considering that everyone is doing the slow build, there is nothing to differentiate a franchise in desperate need of its own identity

The team will stay in Jacksonville. You know why LA is always a no go? Because if a team actually does end up there and the other teams lose it as a stalking horse, then owners won't be able to threaten to up and leave to LA if city councils won't approve tax dollars to build new stadiums.

Winning will put asses in the seats. Caldwell did the right thing in not drafting a QB this year because he knows his job would be tied to whichever QB he does select, and he didn't feel any of them were good enough, and he doesn't feel Tebow is either, along with every other team in the league who didn't think he is worth a spot. The rebuilding process is being done slowly and correctly, as opposed to Shack Harris thinking the team was one or two players away from contending and handing out god awful FA contracts, or Gene Smith who reached with almost every draft pick he had. We're not winning this year with Gabbert, Henne or even if Tebow was the starter, so punting on this year, getting games in to the rookies and setting up for a much deeper draft class next year is the smart play.

The team will stay in Jacksonville. You know why LA is always a no go? Because if a team actually does end up there and the other teams lose it as a stalking horse, then owners won't be able to threaten to up and leave to LA if city councils won't approve tax dollars to build new stadiums.

Winning will put asses in the seats. Caldwell did the right thing in not drafting a QB this year because he knows his job would be tied to whichever QB he does select, and he didn't feel any of them were good enough, and he doesn't feel Tebow is either, along with every other team in the league who didn't think he is worth a spot. The rebuilding process is being done slowly and correctly, as opposed to Shack Harris thinking the team was one or two players away from contending and handing out god awful FA contracts, or Gene Smith who reached with almost every draft pick he had. We're not winning this year with Gabbert, Henne or even if Tebow was the starter, so punting on this year, getting games in to the rookies and setting up for a much deeper draft class next year is the smart play.

Good point but not if the constant losing creates a losing culture, Tebow's intangibles can change this, (it also makes the impression that the team hasn't put the que in the rack before the season starts.)

if he tries tebow and it doesn't work he can blame tebow and tell everyone who will listen that he was just a carry over till they got to the quality qb's in the next draft, if tebow works he looks like a genius,

All i really mean is that the Jax have been average for so long and have been trying to build up themselves without success, what they need to be doing is to differentiate themselves, have a person they can claim is a superstar, and really its not LA the Jacksonville fans should be worrying about, its the prolonged irrelevancy that denies new fans to the sport from following them and undermines them long term. At the rate they're going their new fans are all being taken over by the buccaneers and dolphins,

Especially in a 3 team state, they NEED to stand out, not just on the field but off too

At the rate they're going their new fans are all being taken over by the buccaneers and dolphins,

Especially in a 3 team state, they NEED to stand out, not just on the field but off too

They had the most fans show up for games last year in the state of Florida, in a 2-14 season. Everything, from the coach to the owner to the GM and the jersey is new. I'm not worried at all, and neither are most Jags fans I know.

They had the most fans show up for games last year in the state of Florida, in a 2-14 season. Everything, from the coach to the owner to the GM and the jersey is new. I'm not worried at all, and neither are most Jags fans I know.

ok i did not know that, I'm not having a dig at the jax, i kind of like them

but i still feel that they lack a certain identity which sets a franchise apart, its what separates the Jets and Giants and the Cowboys and Texans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back