Traded Jacob Hopper [Trade with #53, #63 to Richmond for #31 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Fringe rucks are almost never worth early picks.
Jeremy Finlayson went for a 3rd round and is half the ruckman that Soldo is - Soldo could be a first ruck elsewhere.

Callum Coleman-Jones is way less proven than Soldo and went to North for effectively a late second when all things are considered.

Ladhams went for a late second/early third all things considered.

Feels like the Tigers are paying overs, what is Soldo worthwhile on the open market? Early 2nd? (I actually don't know, I like him from what I've seen but admittedly haven't watched a ton of him)

However, the contracted player factor always adds a bit more currency to the equation.

Interesting situation, the clubs will get it done.

Soldo is interesting in that his pre-injury form was very good tap ruck (didn't get beaten and matched at least all the other rucks), good resting forward (maybe about a goal a game), and starting to work around the ground + beast around contests helping the mids. Post injury good tap ruck, poor-OK around the ground. So pre-injury worth a lot, post injury not much.

Not a great answer as value is in the eye of the beholder. Tigers can say look at what he can do. GWS say what about 2022?

Jeremy Finlayson went for a 3rd round and is half the ruckman that Soldo is - Soldo could be a first ruck elsewhere.

Callum Coleman-Jones is way less proven than Soldo and went to North for effectively a late second when all things are considered.

None of those 3 were coming off an ACL small difference

That's not my point, my point is that fringe ruckmen do sometimes go for 2nd round picks.

Also, he made it through the season post ACL injury. Not like he is recovering right now.

Major injuries make you more suspect to another one it's just reality. He wouldn't be more than a 3rd and that's at best.

Major injuries make you more suspect to another one it's just reality. He wouldn't be more than a 3rd and that's at best.
More suspect? Maybe. More susceptible? Marginally, read a study regarding ACL's.

Anyway, my point stands - plenty of fringe ruckmen have gone for 2nd round picks.

Feels like the Tigers are paying overs, what is Soldo worthwhile on the open market? Early 2nd? (I actually don't know, I like him from what I've seen but admittedly haven't watched a ton of him)

However, the contracted player factor always adds a bit more currency to the equation.

Interesting situation, the clubs will get it done.
Someone mentioned on the Richmond board an interesting thought, Richmond are pretty well known as being fair and very reasonable at the trade table both selling and buying players. The comment was that other clubs now have an understanding of this reputation, and are comfortable asking for a good price for their players, knowing that Richmond will often commit and pay that price. E.g., I don't think we are the fiercest of negotiators, rather our club has a reputation of just getting it done even at cost.

Regarding Soldo, pre ACL he was tracking very well and I'd not have wanted to trade him. He's lost a bit of form/value since the ACL, but he could well get that back with another preseason to build.

1. Finlayson isn’t a ruck, he’s a kpp who Hinkley played in ruck after lycett went down and because Hinkley is notoriously bad with trusting / playing young talls unless they’re athletic freaks.

2. CCJ was a bad trade by north. They overpaid to finally recruit a player after missing out on a bunch of players over the years. It’s not a good measure of what a ruck is worth.

3. Ladhams did not go for a late second early 3rd. He went for a 2 pick upgrade in the first round and a future 3rd round which we know now is end of 3rd round

At what club is soldo a 1st ruck?

Soldo is neither C-grade nor 'often injured'. He's a premiership ruck who's done one ACL courtesy of one gutless dog act.
Yes but he’s not worth a 2nd rounder even though there are three examples of way, way worse players who played ruck this year that went for 2nd round picks. At least, that’s what delusional posters ITT will tell you.

People need to drop their egos and bias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soldo is interesting in that his pre-injury form was very good tap ruck (didn't get beaten and matched at least all the other rucks), good resting forward (maybe about a goal a game), and starting to work around the ground + beast around contests helping the mids. Post injury good tap ruck, poor-OK around the ground. So pre-injury worth a lot, post injury not much.

Not a great answer as value is in the eye of the beholder. Tigers can say look at what he can do. GWS say what about 2022?
I get we all overrate our players but this is next level.

He averages 0.3 goals a game (16 goals from 49 games). He is not a viable option as a "resting forward".

He averages 7.9 disposals a game, and 2 marks.

He is bog average. If you were offered a 3rd rounder, you'd take it and run.

I get we all overrate our players but this is next level.

He averages 0.3 goals a game (16 goals from 49 games). He is not a viable option as a "resting forward".

He averages 7.9 disposals a game, and 2 marks.

He is bog average. If you were offered a 3rd rounder, you'd take it and run.

Read the post. Before injury he had worked himself into being a good AFL ruck. I never said great, just good. So about one season of good solid stuff, sandwiched between early career development and post injury meh.

He isn't some sort of permanent 'resting forward'. He is a ruck that was (and might be is) a threat when resting forward. Not a KPF by any means.

Disposals, well he isn't great around the ground as i said.

So he had a shortish period of being above average tap ruck, OK resting forward and below average around the ground, but improving. Lots to work with and proven at that level. But post injury not there again yet.

Wake up and smell the post. Soldo is worth quite a range depending on how you view him.

Read the post. Before injury he had worked himself into being a good AFL ruck. I never said great, just good. So about one season of good solid stuff, sandwiched between early career development and post injury meh.

He isn't some sort of permanent 'resting forward'. He is a ruck that was (and might be is) a threat when resting forward. Not a KPF by any means.

Disposals, well he isn't great around the ground as i said.

So he had a shortish period of being above average tap ruck, OK resting forward and below average around the ground, but improving. Lots to work with and proven at that level. But post injury not there again yet.

Wake up and smell the post. Soldo is worth quite a range depending on how you view him.
He was only considered good pre injury because he played in a successful team. If he played at North with those stats he eoild be considered chump change.

1. Finlayson isn’t a ruck, he’s a kpp who Hinkley played in ruck after lycett went down and because Hinkley is notoriously bad with trusting / playing young talls unless they’re athletic freaks.

2. CCJ was a bad trade by north. They overpaid to finally recruit a player after missing out on a bunch of players over the years. It’s not a good measure of what a ruck is worth.

3. Ladhams did not go for a late second early 3rd. He went for a 2 pick upgrade in the first round and a future 3rd round which we know now is end of 3rd round

At what club is soldo a 1st ruck?

Soldo was ahead of nank at one stage and killing it until Hawkins dogged him. First year back from double major knee injury who knows how he goes this season

Would be more than ok with ivan staying at Richmond

CCJ has currency because he's young and is capable of playing forward and ruck. Teams will bet on a 22 year-old-forward/ruck that was drafted highly. It might be a bad bet, it might be a good bet, but his age and skillset means he's more valuable than Soldo. Teams will look for upside especially if they're struggling. Ask yourself if any team would do a straight swap for Soldo for CCJ.

Soldo is worth a third rounder in my eyes. He's valuable in that he plays a position which can be hard to fill in the draft but he's an immobile and fairly unskilled ruck which is a dinosaur in the modern AFL.

I think a future first, 30 and Soldo (who I'd rate around 40s-50s) is a bargain for Hopper. You're effectively paying pick seven and Soldo for Hopper. Richmond paid much more for Prestia. Surely there's more legs to this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back