Recommitted Jacob Hopper [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, That range is about right for him at this point. Would think Richmond, St Kilda and North would be the most likely suitors. North with cash to burn and Tigers and Saints with picks to burn.

A double deal for Hopper and Kelly might make things interesting.

Guaranteed to get some big offers from other clubs. He's a terrific young prospect, wins clearances, contested footy and kicks goals.

Worth a pick between 5-10 I think.

You saying you wouldn't give pick 4 for him? Best draftee in his year (toss the coin between him, Weitering, Oliver and Mills really) and he's only gone on with it since debut. I'd happily give up pick 1 if I needed a mid and I had it. Would save 2 years of development. Going to be a very good player.

You saying you wouldn't give pick 4 for him? Best draftee in his year (toss the coin between him, Weitering, Oliver and Mills really) and he's only gone on with it since debut. I'd happily give up pick 1 if I needed a mid and I had it. Would save 2 years of development. Going to be a very good player.
Not saying that. If Hawthorn finish 4th last and that's all GWS would take then yeah. Just think 5-10 is close to his worth considering he's uncontracted. Would you prefer if I wrote 4-9?

He went at pick 7 and the only player that went ahead of him that I think he's clearly better than is Francis. Schache will obviously take time. So yeah 4-9 sounds about right if that's the way you'd prefer it.

Last edited:
I would expect Carlton to be one of them.

bf1b82f339da2e1e710ede9134620021.gif

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no hometown pull for Hopper and he is first 22 at GWS.
Can't see him leaving.
Kennedy is a more realistic target at this point.
Big dollar offers would have to have him thinking. GWS can't afford to be offering that kind of money to guys coming off their first contract, especially if they can keep Kelly.

I'm not saying he'll definitely go, but GWS would be doing an amazing job if they can hold onto all their players.

He would be perfect for WCE with Priddis and Mitchell only having one year more each.
McKenzie and LeCras are both coming of huge contracts at end of the year.
So that will free up a lot of money,

He would be perfect for WCE with Priddis and Mitchell only having one year more each.
McKenzie and LeCras are both coming of huge contracts at end of the year.
So that will free up a lot of money,
Will probably have to give up our chance of drafting a KPF to get him though, I guess it would be worth it if we committed to Gov as a KPF with Darling.

The kid is a gun. He'll no doubt have plenty of clubs offering him big coin just like some of his other team mates. I hope my club is one of them.

Yep, That range is about right for him at this point. Would think Richmond, St Kilda and North would be the most likely suitors. North with cash to burn and Tigers and Saints with picks to burn.
Carlton will be all over him like a rash as well I would imagine. Him, Cripps and SPS is a hell of a good looking young midfield trio to build around.

Gone $$$ Big V
Clearly he isn't gone, he's contracted to us this year.
Both Hopper and Matt Kennedy will price themselves on what they do this year IMO. He is clearly a talent and if he continues the way he is going we will want to keep him. Perfectly natural and a compliment he deserves, for other clubs to make offers. Without knowing who else will stay or go it's premature to say what we can offer him.
Kelly might be relevant though, while we probably wont be able to match other offers, I expect we will have to deeper than we were hoping. It's logical this would leave less capacity in the cap for other guys.

In open draft could have been #2.

In an open draft he actually went pick 7. None of the four clubs with earlier picks were interested, otherwise they would have called his name.

At best you could argue that he might have gone pick 6 because when Melbourne bid on mills and the swans matched, it moved everyone back one place.

But "could have gone #2" is absolute rubbish, you could also say he could have gone #1 - but that too would be rubbish, because the basic reality of the situation is that he didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back