Recommitted Jacob Hopper [re-signed until end of 2021]

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
What people are missing is that the GWS had to off load $2 million just to meet their salary cap obligations for 2019 season and the savings of Lobb , Shiel , Scully , Griffin. was the bare min.

Actually we were fine for 2019, it was to make plays for the out of contract stars this year.

Which we obviously need to find a pay rise, hense the release of a number of players.

Just on a side note
“Jeremy Cameron is going to be earning more next year than he is this year, he is going to be earning well over 1.2 million dollars. He is going to be one of the highest paid players in the AFL.

Really? Was under the impression and been told he was heavily front loaded.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Actually we were fine for 2019, it was to make plays for the out of contract stars this year.

Which we obviously need to find a pay rise, hense the release of a number of players.

Really? Was under the impression and been told he was heavily front loaded.

Apparently not

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/08/16/is-gws-facing-a-salary-cap-squeeze/

Was also mentioned during trade week that GWS had to make room for their 2019 as with their list at the time they would be $2 million over due to back loading of contracts to star players in the attempt to keep them together to win a flag in 17/18

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Apparently not

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/08/16/is-gws-facing-a-salary-cap-squeeze/

Was also mentioned during trade week that GWS had to make room for their 2019 as with their list at the time they would be $2 million over due to back loading of contracts to star players in the attempt to keep them together to win a flag in 17/18

Hmmm a quick google showed me the 5 year deal for 4 million or so for Cameron.
Cant seem to find where it was reported to be front loaded.

I've also read from Matthew's that our cap situation wasnt as bad as what everyone was making out and it was to put big offers to stars from 2019 on.

Oh well.

I guess we will find out in the next 8 months or so.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I could see one of the higher profile OOC players leaving it depends on how players perform IMO as to who and how the club prioritises and plenty of time to go until that is a priority. People need to remember that possibly 4-5 retirees this year and maybe 2 trades which will give the club the room to sign the majority of players that it wants to keep. The one I would like to see signed up is Himmelburg as with Pattons injuries I can see him being a token trade at the end of the year

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well I be damed! the full time footy journalist know less then the gun a nobody footy forum expect when it comes to footy contracts 🤔 #peopleschamp

Codswallop - Gws supporter meaning

" I dont have a clue and dont know what to say and will stick my head in the ground hoping they will go away"
Needs to be in urban dictionary

It’s pretty clear to see that they would have close to 11 players on 600k or more next year

You can’t have a quarter of your list take up to/over 7mil of the cap

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
GWS fans go on about how they aren't peaking at the salary cap and can't see why players would leave.

See here: in the first 2 pages, Shiel and Lobb won't leave!

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-47-to-fremantle-for-11-and-19.1204872/page-2

I think any team with Cameron, Greene, Kelly, Coniglio, Ward, Whitfield, Davis and an important experienced second core (guys like Hayes, Tomlinson, Patton) will always be pushing the cap. It's not something to get upset about - personally I'd love that talent and salary on Carlton's list!

GWS fans go on about how they aren't peaking at the salary cap and can't see why players would leave.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-47-to-fremantle-for-11-and-19.1204872/page-2

I think any team with Cameron, Greene, Kelly, Coniglio, Ward, Whitfield, Davis and an important experienced second core (guys like Hayes, Tomlinson, Patton) will always be pushing the cap. It's not something to get upset about - personally I'd love that talent and salary on Carlton's list!
This

They would have a quarter of their list taking up 7mil of their cap

Makes you wonder what the other 30 players are getting to ensure they don’t go too far over the cap

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

On that thread it was a few whys? As it didnt make sense to ditch a ruck.

But mostly fairly even discussion.

We all know we needed to bleed last year so we could make a play at the out of contract stars this year.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Not very classy dragging up old posts to have go at people.

You cant conflate what has happened with what will happen in any case.

Last year was a but if a rude shock, but time has moved on.

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
As much as we love GWS players, can rule Carlton out.

We already have Kennedy, Cripps, Setterfield and Stocker to play that inside role.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
He would be perfect at the Tigers. Cotchin has 3 years max left. Perfect replacement
Similar reasons why he'll get a decent offer from us. For when Ward and the the original draftees start to reach the end of their careers.Guys like Hopper, Himmelburg and Taylor will be crucial.

Probably 2 years at this stage with a rise, then his value can be reevaluated. Maybe 3 to take him to FA.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
My problem is if a move is getting close then it generally becomes public. When player attends the club for a medical and meetings and that didn't happen. It did with every guy that left last year, and Finlayson with North.
Are you as confident you'll keep him as you were Shiel and Scully?

You guys might have the money now to make him an offer too good to refuse, especially if Cognilio or Kelly leave.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Are you as confident you'll keep him as you were Shiel and Scully?

You guys might have the money now to make him an offer too good to refuse, especially if Cognilio or Kelly leave.
That makes no sense. Do you know how many times over the years people have insisted our players are leaving and been wrong? There's a silly notion that discussion here affects the outcome in some I think.

Hopper will do what he wants to do. If he wants to go to the Tigers then a trade will be sorted. Big if though.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
That makes no sense. Do you know how many times over the years people have insisted our players are leaving and been wrong? There's a silly notion that discussion here affects the outcome in some I think.

Hopper will do what he wants to do. If he wants to go to the Tigers then a trade will be sorted. Big if though.
How many times have you insisted your players are staying and been wrong?

You could conceivably offer Hopper $3m over 4 years to take him up to free agency, which we couldn't get close to matching. Dollars make plenty of sense.

I am under no illusions discussions in here affect outcomes, methinks you're either projecting or on the defensive due to posters who aren't me.

Back