Recommitted Jacob Hopper [re-signed until end of 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

That makes no sense. Do you know how many times over the years people have insisted our players are leaving and been wrong? There's a silly notion that discussion here affects the outcome in some I think.

Hopper will do what he wants to do. If he wants to go to the Tigers then a trade will be sorted. Big if though.

Just think about all the GWS players playing at other clubs - More people have gotten it right than wrong with these players and there will be alot more leaving. GWS had to make $2 mil of cap space just to maintain within the cap in 2019 and with players like Coniglio,Kelly,Hopper and another 3-4 younger kids who 'WILL' get talked to then there will be more leaving.

The Hopper / Richmond thing has been doing the rounds now for over 6 months and on more than just bigfooty, Its well known that Richmond have been sounding him out but not sure if he has any intentions of leaving or not.

Tigers have also drafted RCD & Ross which are big bodied mids and if these boys look like they fill our need we may no longer even be interested in him who knows but last 2 years the Hopper to Richmond thing was not just talk here but in alot of places.

Just think about all the GWS players playing at other clubs - More people have gotten it right than wrong with these players and there will be alot more leaving. GWS had to make $2 mil of cap space just to maintain within the cap in 2019 and with players like Coniglio,Kelly,Hopper and another 3-4 younger kids who 'WILL' get talked to then there will be more leaving.

The Hopper / Richmond thing has been doing the rounds now for over 6 months and on more than just bigfooty, Its well known that Richmond have been sounding him out but not sure if he has any intentions of leaving or not.

Tigers have also drafted RCD & Ross which are big bodied mids and if these boys look like they fill our need we may no longer even be interested in him who knows but last 2 years the Hopper to Richmond thing was not just talk here but in alot of places.
Just think about our situation and the reducing list size. It is meaningless, your trying to compare us with other clubs and it's apples and oranges.

I see no substance in your post and no need to expand on what I've already said.

It's nonsense to say the rumours are right more often than not of course. But I think somewhere deep down you know that.

Last edited:
Just think about our situation and the reducing list size. It is meaningless, your trying to compare us with other clubs and it's apples and oranges.

I see no substance in your post and no need to expand on what I've already said.

It's nonsense to say the rumours are right more often than not of course. But I think somewhere deep down you know that.
LOL stick your head in the sand all you want

GWS have too many players that will be demanding more and more money as the years go on and there is no reason for them to stay at that club if your not winning flags and players will be wanting to leave as many have done already.

The quality of your list will diminish and the talent will even out with other clubs.

You say dont compare us to other clubs this is where you are totally wrong you must be compared to other clubs and will fall short unless your club wins a flag but if they dont im sure you will be changing your club not long after

LOL stick your head in the sand all you want

GWS have too many players that will be demanding more and more money as the years go on and there is no reason for them to stay at that club if your not winning flags and players will be wanting to leave as many have done already.

The quality of your list will diminish and the talent will even out with other clubs.

You say dont compare us to other clubs this is where you are totally wrong you must be compared to other clubs and will fall short unless your club wins a flag but if they dont im sure you will be changing your club not long after
You haven't actually read what I've posted have you?

In your enthusiasm to trash the Giants you've forgotten the obvious. Like putting words in peoples mouths and expressing your fantasies publicly wont actually achieve anything.

You haven't actually read what I've posted have you?

In your enthusiasm to trash the Giants you've forgotten the obvious. Like putting words in peoples mouths and expressing your fantasies publicly wont actually achieve anything.
Your response has nothing to do with the post you quoted.
Get your head out of the sand and stick to the topic of Hopper

Couldnt give a flyer about your reducing list size

With our lack of depth through the midfield I can see us making decent offers for any midfielder that is out there on the market, Hopper would be a decent pick up. Whether we can get any over the line is another thing all together.

With our lack of depth through the midfield I can see us making decent offers for any midfielder that is out there on the market, Hopper would be a decent pick up. Whether we can get any over the line is another thing all together.
It's all about convincing Hopper to come. The way the system works if you jump that hurdle a trade gets done. Historically we've lost most young mids because they cant find a spot, or the role they want in our midfield. The not Hopoers position, but who knows.

Word is he was almost a done deal to Richmond last year before everyone else jumped ship and the Giants rightly decided no mas.

Funny how people go on about our salary cap yet Rich can bring in Lynch, renegotiate all the top line stars and cull some decent depth players to do it, yet can somehow afford another half a million a year for a player like Hopper. Yeah, nah.

Funny how people go on about our salary cap yet Rich can bring in Lynch, renegotiate all the top line stars and cull some decent depth players to do it, yet can somehow afford another half a million a year for a player like Hopper. Yeah, nah.
People 'go on' about your salary cap issues because they've been widely reported, and seen you shed good players on good coin. Unfortunately being in a non-footy market with most of your list away from home, you often have to overpay.

Our salary cap is now pretty tight but if say Grigg retires and/or Brandon Ellis leaves as a free agent, we'd have more than enough for Hopper.

We have 19 players coming out of contract this year precisely to give us this flexibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People 'go on' about your salary cap issues because they've been widely reported, and seen you shed good players on good coin. Unfortunately being in a non-footy market with most of your list away from home, you often have to overpay.

Our salary cap is now pretty tight but if say Grigg retires and/or Brandon Ellis leaves as a free agent, we'd have more than enough for Hopper.

We have 19 players coming out of contract this year precisely to give us this flexibility.
It's news to me we have to overpay. How much do we overpay exactly?

I don't know why i think this, If we loose Tim Kelly at the end of the (which its 90% he will go ) Iv got a feeling we will target Jacob Hopper, maybe use our pick we get from TK and give it to the giants... My thoughts anyway

I don't know why i think this, If we loose Tim Kelly at the end of the (which its 90% he will go ) Iv got a feeling we will target Jacob Hopper, maybe use our pick we get from TK and give it to the giants... My thoughts anyway
We went very hard after him when he was last out of contract.

Would be curious to see who we'd prefer between him and Parish if both became available, probably prefer Hopper for an inside mid.

We went very hard after him when he was last out of contract.

Would be curious to see who we'd prefer between him and Parish if both became available, probably prefer Hopper for an inside mid.
I'd rather Hopper in a heart beat over Parish. We have so many Parish types atm that aren't getting a game that I rate a good enough. Narkle, Cunico in my eye.

I'd rather Hopper in a heart beat over Parish. We have so many Parish types atm that aren't getting a game that I rate a good enough. Narkle, Cunico in my eye.
it would be the last nail in my coffin to see Geelong turn Parish into the player he could be.

Especially after you hand us a 2nd rd pick that i know the cats would have used better than we would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back