Recommitted Jacob Hopper [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Original OP by the Ziebull:
24 years of age 91 games one of the giants main mids now averaging over 26 touches a game

Will be due for a nice pay rise and is in talks to stay but nothing yet

On the open market I’d say he’s a 750k player, potentially more if he continues to have a strong year

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
24 years of age 91 games one of the giants main mids now averaging over 26 touches a game

On the open market I’d say he’s a 750k player, potentially more if he continues to have a strong year

That's AA mid level money, not sure he's there yet is he? Although his last few weeks have been good.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
That's AA mid level money, not sure he's there yet is he? Although his last few weeks have been good.
There are worse players on more around the traps tbf, if you're a club like Hawthorn or North for exampling who'll have a bit of cash, you'd be willing to give him a bit in a front loaded contract

Regardless, and I'm bias, but I reckon he stays

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Would round out our midfield nicely, if not him Tom Green would be fantastic as well, both OOC this year.

Maybe upping Green and Hopper's $$$ at the end of the year means Josh Kelly leaves to make room in the cap.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There are worse players on more around the traps tbf, if you're a club like Hawthorn or North for exampling who'll have a bit of cash, you'd be willing to give him a bit in a front loaded contract

Regardless, and I'm bias, but I reckon he stays

You'd expect him to be an elite clearance player at that kind of money, something like a Cunnington would have been what I'd have expected him to look like.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
You'd expect him to be an elite clearance player at that kind of money, something like a Cunnington would have been what I'd have expected him to look like.
I would've expected them to be fairly similar impact for clearances

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

For that price, you could get yourself a Matt Crouch who is an AA and better inside mid (IMO) than Hopper (who's no slouch mind you).

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah I’m taking hopper over Crouch

A few years younger more upside and a better kick
I'll go for stats here...
Crouch is/has:
2 years older
Age 28 touches to 21 career ave
72% DE TO 64%
4.7 to 4.3 clearances
287m gained to 270m
1 AA to none

Hopper is 24 already, so I don't see huge upside. It's not like he's 21, I'd say he's in his prime.

Still, a good player.

Last edited:

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils

750K would be overs for a player like Hopper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
If he isn’t GWS’s best mid he is 2nd only to Taranto. They’ll do everyone keep him but a huge payday awaits if he wants to leave.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
TBH, with Green coming through we can’t have 3 bulls and no one with explosive pace in the middle .... Hopper could be let go if the picks are ... depends on how the list looks after we get our 2 top 10 picks this year

TBH, with Green coming through we can’t have 3 bulls and no one with explosive pace in the middle .... Hopper could be let go if the picks are ... depends on how the list looks after we get our 2 top 10 picks this year

With likely two top 10 picks in a supposedly midfielder-heavy draft, added to Green, Taranto and Cogs (to name a few) in the short-term, Hopper would definitely be expendable.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would be perfect for Essendon.

Imo Essendon would have picked him but couldn't because he was tied to the Giants academy ( Essendon had a pick before the Giants) we had to settle for Francis.
The bombers had the two prior picks (Parish and Francis). If they were interested, there was no way they would have passed on bidding with both picks. They could have bid at pick 5, meaning GWS would have had to pay more.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The bombers had the two prior picks (Parish and Francis). If they were interested, there was no way they would have passed on bidding with both picks. They could have bid at pick 5, meaning GWS would have had to pay more.

From memory, at the time it wasn't yet a 'thing' to bid up early on academy players, certainly not by all clubs. Heeney had gone very late the year before for example.

Hopper would suit our midfield well, as would Green.

From memory, at the time it wasn't yet a 'thing' to bid up early on academy players, certainly not by all clubs. Heeney had gone very late the year before for example.

I believe that at that time, the bid-matching was simply that the club matching would only need to use their next pick. Pick 18 in that case for the Swans.

But there was no points system. That was brought in the following year and Sydney used points to match the bid for Callum Mills.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Would love Hopper at the Lions, we have 2 first round picks this year and will likely be wanting to trade out our 1st in 2022 as well.

I believe that at that time, the bid-matching was simply that the club matching would only need to use their next pick. Pick 18 in that case for the Swans.

But there was no points system. That was brought in the following year and Sydney used points to match the bid for Callum Mills.

Correct. Melbourne bid on Heeney at pick 2.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

You're right, the bidding points hadn't come in yet. However, GC bid on him with pick 8 directly after Essendon's non-bids at 6,7 and GWS matched with pick 11.

This was also after Mills was taken at pick 3 by the Swans after the Dees bid so early bids certainly were happening. Note the Dees then too Oliver with the following pick.

It was a big year for first round academy players. The sooner academy and FS picks are removed the better!

1620787470477.png

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You're right, the bidding points hadn't come in yet. However, GC bid on him with pick 8 directly after Essendon's non-bids at 6,7 and GWS matched with pick 11.

This was also after Mills was taken at pick 3 by the Swans after the Dees bid so early bids certainly were happening. Note the Dees then too Oliver with the following pick.

It was a big year for first round academy players. The sooner academy and FS picks are removed the better!

View attachment 1125249

I don't mind F-S as I think that the longetitivity of players and supporters being involved with the clubs is a key part of the rusted on supporter base.

Academies shouldn't be a thing, if Sydney is a market the AFL wants to generate more players from, then the AFL should fund it and make the talent available to everyone.

I would like to see some consideration given to VFL / WAFL / SANFL players connected with AFL clubs, where if they've previously been draft eligible and have been at the club for the full-season, then clubs have some rights to match bids. Whether that comes with caveats that it must be a bid outside the first round etc...

Something that increases clubs investment in coaching and developing their VFL players would be a good thing, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back