Recommitted Jacob Hopper [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose it depends if Green is keen to come to us or not. We may be more keen on him than he is on us. I'm not sure.

Contracted for another year, but if he requested a trade this off-season surely you'd have to look at it? Value would be high.

So it is a case of your want more than what would make sense for the club.

By the way it’s another 2 years after this one.

He signed a 2 year extension at the beginning of last season(his 1st season).

So it is a case of your want more than what would make sense for the club.

By the way it’s another 2 years after this one.

He signed a 2 year extension at the beginning of last season(his 1st season).
It's not a case of my want. Richmond definitely have interest in Green. You can take that to the bank.

But as you rightly point out - it would be very difficult to pry him out. It really comes down to how keen he is on us. GWS don't seem to be the type of club to keep players who don't want to be there.

It's not a case of my want. Richmond definitely have interest in Green. You can take that to the bank.

But as you rightly point out - it would be very difficult to pry him out. It really comes down to how keen he is on us. GWS don't seem to be the type of club to keep players who don't want to be there.

It is actually as you were the one talking how the Giants may “want” to trade him out over Hopper and there was more of a chance of it.
There isn’t. It was a case of what you were hoping for.

No doubt the Tigers would be interested, so would the other clubs be.

He signed an extension. And yet you think he may not want to be there?

I’m getting flashbacks to North and Kelly.

I must've misread when I clicked into this thread, could've sworn this was for Jacob Hopper!

Realistically if we're forced to let a young inside mid go, id say Taranto then Hopper would be the options, a club would likely need to fork up a first and second for either I reckon.

As for Hopper, I'd be surprised if he went but I thought the same about Williams 12 months ago, all it takes is the right offer

It is actually as you were the one talking how the Giants may “want” to trade him out over Hopper and there was more of a chance of it.
There isn’t. It was a case of what you were hoping for.

No doubt the Tigers would be interested, so would the other clubs be.

He signed an extension. And yet you think he may not want to be there?

I’m getting flashbacks to North and Kelly.
It's still not a question of my want. I look at GWS' list and it's stacked with elite mids, but doesn't really have the same level of talent elsewhere on the ground. You don't have an elite key position player, for instance (though I do really rate Taylor and Hogan and think they may get there) and could probably do with some more speed.

Collingwood had a very similar issue (before they had to trade a bunch out). Loading up on one area of the ground is not a great list strategy, and Hopper and Green are both quite similar players, therefore you may want to offload one to rebalance your list.

Hopper is well established in the side so I thought Green may be the expendable one, but clearly going by your reaction he's a lot more highly regarded than I thought, so perhaps they let Hopper go?

Or perhaps they keep both and let Kelly go to avoid paying his ridiculous salary? I'm not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think we'll be letting anyone go. Ward is at the twilight, Green has shown he can play multiple roles, Daniels is being transitioned to a pacy mid. Our list is fine, our backline has been reborn this year and is standing up every week. Hogan is one of the best natural fwds in the comp and is costing us peanuts. Our ruck dept would be the envy of most clubs. Fix our fitness dept and we are right back up there.

STAR GIANT TO HOLD OFF CONTRACT TALKS

Giants midfielder Jacob Hopper is in no rush to re-sign with the club and will hold off contract talks until the end of the season.

Senior foxfooty.com.au writer Tom Morris reported the out-of-contract on-baller is happy to wait until later in the year to ramp up discussions, where he then expects the 24-year old to recommit to GWS.

Morris said Hopper would eventually sign a new two-year deal, which would take him through to free agency in 2023.

“Even though interest will come for him across the next eight weeks, he’s quite happy to wait I’m told,” Morris said on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“The Giants clearly want to keep him, they really rate him. They see him as someone to build around for their midfield along with Tim Taranto and Tom Green over the next few years.

“But I don’t think he’s going to sign anytime soon. I think if it does come, and I expect it will come, it will be right at the very end of the year. It will be two years, it will take him to free agency.

“He’s such an important player for them, I’d suggest that he’d be in for a fairly big pay rise as well if his form continues.”

Hopper is enjoying a superb season for the Giants, averaging a career-best 27.4 disposals and 6.2 clearances from 11 games.

Wait and see what Kelly does, if he leaves then Hopper get the salary space he vacates for next season and the season after before hitting free agency as potentially very wanted man.

Makes sense.

STAR GIANT TO HOLD OFF CONTRACT TALKS

Giants midfielder Jacob Hopper is in no rush to re-sign with the club and will hold off contract talks until the end of the season.

Senior foxfooty.com.au writer Tom Morris reported the out-of-contract on-baller is happy to wait until later in the year to ramp up discussions, where he then expects the 24-year old to recommit to GWS.

Morris said Hopper would eventually sign a new two-year deal, which would take him through to free agency in 2023.

“Even though interest will come for him across the next eight weeks, he’s quite happy to wait I’m told,” Morris said on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“The Giants clearly want to keep him, they really rate him. They see him as someone to build around for their midfield along with Tim Taranto and Tom Green over the next few years.

“But I don’t think he’s going to sign anytime soon. I think if it does come, and I expect it will come, it will be right at the very end of the year. It will be two years, it will take him to free agency.

“He’s such an important player for them, I’d suggest that he’d be in for a fairly big pay rise as well if his form continues.”

Hopper is enjoying a superb season for the Giants, averaging a career-best 27.4 disposals and 6.2 clearances from 11 games.
Isn’t he a local boy? Was part of the academy

But putting off to the end of the year could also be just to back himself to continue his strong year and get extra dollars

Isn’t he a local boy? Was part of the academy

But putting off to the end of the year could also be just to back himself to continue his strong year and get extra dollars

Can see it multiple ways;

A- he wants the other guys taken care of then he will come in with what’s left as a loyal Giant.

B- Waiting on Kelly, if he goes he stays.

C- Already out the door.

D- Staying but can’t be bothered with contract stuff as he doesn’t want to screw around while he is playing so well.

Leading the B&F no doubt.

Could be any, as a Giant hoping it’s A or D.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back