Traded Jacob Townsend [traded with pick 120 to Richmond for pick 70]

Remove this Banner Ad

Is 120 the lowest pick ever traded?

I never understood why teams would often get back a pick they where never going to need.

Maybe that's why we did it, to set the record :D

Trades of player for <useless pick> happen a bit because the AFL dictates something has to go each way, even if it's meaningless/useless...but that doesn't really apply here, because that's true even without 120.

Then why take it?

They must think there is some sort of chance it'll get used. (rookie upgrades don't count, because there is no need to get a higher pick for them).
I have no idea what it was in the trade.

I didn't even know there was a pick 120 :/

Draft keeps going until everyone passes...I suppose in theory you could trade pick 1020, although the AFL might slap you around for taking the piss (sorry..'bringing the game into disrepute')

Draft keeps going until everyone passes...I suppose in theory you could trade pick 1020, although the AFL might slap you around for taking the piss (sorry..'bringing the game into disrepute')

It'd be worth it for a couple of clubs to trade pick 1000 one year. just for the giggles.

On the trade looks OK. Fills a need and is basically free. The GWS posters that know him seem to think he has enough talent to be an OK AFL player. So depth player in an area we need one for 2cents. Sensible deal between clubs that are good to deal with.

Trades of player for <useless pick> happen a bit because the AFL dictates something has to go each way, even if it's meaningless/useless...but that doesn't really apply here, because that's true even without 120.

Yeah, I can understand pick 70, but I just don't get pick 120. You're not the only team to do it either.
Last Garlett and 83 was traded to Melbourne for 61&79. Melbourne didn't use 83 and Carlton didn't use 79.
2013 GWS get pick 72 as part of Tyson trade and don't even use pick 48.

Yeah, I can understand pick 70, but I just don't get pick 120. You're not the only team to do it either.
Last Garlett and 83 was traded to Melbourne for 61&79. Melbourne didn't use 83 and Carlton didn't use 79.

There is an element of doubt in what clubs will do in the draft, so if you think there is any chance you'll use it, take it.

No idea how/why Richmond thinks there is any chance they'll use 120 though....Even if we will, somebody else has would have to still be drafting then for it to mean anything.

It wont be 120, and that number is a bit of misnomer, many clubs will pass in the later rounds, meaning it'll probably be around the 70s or 80s.

From the trade, it seems like Townsend was either going to be traded or delisted.

Leon Cameron said on trade radio that we'd offered him a two year deal to stay, but completely understand his desire to try for more opportunity elsewhere. So I don't think he would have been delisted. Hard nut, cruelled a bit by injury this year and behind others in the pecking order.

We have a history of looking after fringe players like that, accepting late round nothing picks just to find them a home (Edwards/Aylett/Darley/Giles/Bruce etc) some of them have worked out, others not so much.

Love Jacob, but understand that he wants opportunities and I really hope he makes it.

There is an element of doubt in what clubs will do in the draft, so if you think there is any chance you'll use it, take it.

No idea how/why Richmond thinks there is any chance they'll use 120 though....Even if we will, somebody else has would have to still be drafting then for it to mean anything.

Yeh the 120 will come in but what I think it is just so Richmond has a spare pick to up grade a rookie. That's all I can think of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh the 120 will come in but what I think it is just so Richmond has a spare pick to up grade a rookie. That's all I can think of.

I'd agree, but you don't need to trade for more picks to do that...you just keep picking until you pass.

I want there to be a reason, but for the life of me, I can't think of one.

Hmm never heard of him
Highlight reel is on the Richmond website, certainly knows how to stick a tackle, something he might be able to teach some of our boys, hits them in the hips like a battering ram.

When you consider North gave pick 15 for Anderson who has played less games and has worse stats, I'm more than happy to take a risk, well its not even a risk, on this kid.

No it doesn't. GWS could make him a delisted free agent, so he could just sign with you. We did that with Membrey to the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back