Player Watch #2: Jacob van Rooyen – re-signed until 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid has the potential to be a very good player. But he's gonna need a change of coaching staff for a chance at that tbh. Probably the only decent young key position prospect we have on the list. So it's a no brainer of a signing with Jeffe looking like a bust and Petty wanting out.

I am whelmed.

He is a promising young player but I feel like giving 4 more years on his current form is a mistake.

He has been giving me flashes of Brad Miller this season. Thrown around the ground to play roles that are beyond him. Poor decision maker. A bit of a sniper. A worse mark but much nicer kick at least.

I am glad he wants to stay as I think he can be a player with better development. But my expectations are cooling. I just can't see him making it as a #1 KPF in a good side. He seems more like the second banana that will kick a bag once or twice a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have like to have seen 2-year extension, 4 years is nuts on current form, but I guess that is where we are at as an industry. Too scared to sign short term deals at the fear of losing them. Hope he starts to take some grabs soon it is an almost player in my opinion.

Hasn’t shown enough to give him another 5 years.
After 26 games, van Rooyen has had more scoring shots and kicked more goals than Buddy, Josh Kennedy, Jack Riewoldt and Charlie Curnow at the same stage. Only Tom Hawkins and Jesse Hogan are ahead of him.

He's down on marks vs the others, which surprised me a bit. Like most here, I'd love to see him take a few more both in F50 and around the ground.

Could be David Neitz, could be a bust. But to say he 'hasn't shown enough' just isn't based in fact.

Also, Jesse Hogan was an absolute freak at age 21. Heart you Jesse, wish you were still a Demon.

1713395994200.png

But to say he 'hasn't shown enough' just isn't based in fact.
Did you also check their age's when they had played 26 games? Franklin for example had just turned 19 when he played his 26th game, JVR was 21. That's two full years of development for JVR who played zero games in his first year while Franklin, as an 18yo played 20 games. In the year Buddy turned 21 he kicked 113.88 from 25 games.

I didn't check all those you've listed for all details but you've cherry picked a stat to make your point. What if I asked you to base it on the first season on an AFL list? To use Franklin as an example again, JVR had 0.0 from 0 games and Franklin had 21.13 from 20 games. Does 'he hasn't shown enough' argument carry weight now because he could even make it into the starting 22?

If we're going to use a stat like that all factors need to be taken into account, not just the ones that suit the point you're making.

Anyway, I'm not saying he's a dud but I personally would like to have seen more to have him secured until '29. At least it looks like the club has faith he'll be a gun.

Did you also check their age's when they had played 26 games? Franklin for example had just turned 19 when he played his 26th game, JVR was 21. That's two full years of development for JVR who played zero games in his first year while Franklin, as an 18yo played 20 games. In the year Buddy turned 21 he kicked 113.88 from 25 games.

I didn't check all those you've listed for all details but you've cherry picked a stat to make your point. What if I asked you to base it on the first season on an AFL list? To use Franklin as an example again, JVR had 0.0 from 0 games and Franklin had 21.13 from 20 games. Does 'he hasn't shown enough' argument carry weight now because he could even make it into the starting 22?

If we're going to use a stat like that all factors need to be taken into account, not just the ones that suit the point you're making.
Good pickup - I hadn't considered the players' ages. No cherry picking here, just a quick and dirty comparison. Makes Buddy look pretty special, doesn't it?

If Rooey can be a Jack Riewoldt, we'd all be pretty happy I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back