Player Watch #2: Jacob van Rooyen – Round 12 Rising Star Nominee

SackLunch

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Welcome to the MFC Jacob van Rooyen.

Jacob is a tall-ish utility from the great city of Perth, Western Australia.
On the greatest day in the history of all sports, Jacob kicked the winning goal for WA against SA in the Grand Final curtain raiser. He is likely to go from the warm blue skies of Perth to the grey scudding clouds of Casey.

Jacob, let the Cranbourne mud steel your muscles. Let the relentless cold wind temper your bones. And may the very smell of Bacon and Egg rolls harden your heart.

We have faith. We believe in you.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
The pressure is on Weideman!

Welcome to the club Jacob.

90+ kgs already tells me that he might get a gig sooner than we might think!

He does have a decent build on him already, but I wouldn't expect to see much of him unless we have a bad run of injuries next year. Maybe a few games here and there to give him a taste if his form warrants it, but I'm hoping he can get a good run of games at Casey and show some good signs there. An uninterrupted VFL season will be key for these young guys.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He’s going to be strong through the body.

Im not one to usually compare, but he really does remind of when we picked TMac. More work horse and smarts than skill and flamboyance- which seems to do very well on grand final day!

I would love to know where we had him on the board.

buggers000

Rookie
Oct 29, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
In JT I trust lets hope his good run continues 🤞 it also helps that we have the right coaching group to develop these players now not like years gone by.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Im not one to usually compare, but he really does remind of when we picked TMac.
I think that is right D16, I reckon he has been brought in as the TMc understudy. I think Weide is the ready to go TMc replacement.

TMc's legs are nearly shot, IMO. He could be out injured at any time.

Reminds me of Michael Hurley, in play style and body shape.

Not sure why, but I'm pretty buoyant about JVR. There's something about him. He's got that swagger about him.

Won't play in 2022 all the same.

Hes as ready made for an 18 yo KP as you will find from a physical standpoint. If there is an injury or form issue with Brown or TMac I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a few games.

Agreed.

It'll be a tough blow for Weid if JVR does get picked in front of him
If Weid is overtaken by a first year player that's on him. He should easily be first in line as a replacement (or even to start Rd1, McDonald had a patchy finish to the year). I don't think the club would rush JVR either, even if he is solidly built for a draftee.

If Weid is overtaken by a first year player that's on him. He should easily be first in line as a replacement (or even to start Rd1, McDonald had a patchy finish to the year). I don't think the club would rush JVR either, even if he is solidly built for a draftee.

On the contrary, beating out Weid is no real accomplishment for a first year player either. JVR is probably living rent free in his head already.

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think people are forgetting that Weid had a pretty decent stretch of form last season. From rounds 6-14 he kicked at least two goals in every game bar one, and I want to say that he was pretty close to the leading goal-kicker in the league over that period. The long-term injury at the start of the year and the lack of Casey matches really set him back more than we appreciate, I think. He's never going to be a star, and I'd like to see him crash more packs and hold onto more marks, but there's no reason to think he can't at least be a solid role-player over the next few years, injuries permitting.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think people are forgetting that Weid had a pretty decent stretch of form last season. From rounds 6-14 he kicked at least two goals in every game bar one, and I want to say that he was pretty close to the leading goal-kicker in the league over that period. The long-term injury at the start of the year and the lack of Casey matches really set him back more than we appreciate, I think. He's never going to be a star, and I'd like to see him crash more packs and hold onto more marks, but there's no reason to think he can't at least be a solid role-player over the next few years, injuries permitting.

He has been in the system for six years now, never kicked more than 3 in a game and more telling has never played more than 13 games in a season. I am happy to be proven wrong but after his run in the team this year where he did nothing I don't even think he will be a role player.

Im with schmutt again (this isn't normal??) , Weid would have become something by now if he was going to be, hes still his own worst enemy and I cant see that changing, as soon as he *s something up he loses it mentally.

Was given every opportunity to hold his place in the team last year and failed hard.

Hes handy depth and nothing else.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Im with schmutt again (this isn't normal??) , Weid would have become something by now if he was going to be, hes still his own worst enemy and I cant see that changing, as soon as he fu**s something up he loses it mentally.

Was given every opportunity to hold his place in the team last year and failed hard.

Hes handy depth and nothing else.

Yeah mentally he isn’t strong enough to play KPF. Double grabs everything, for a great technique he isn’t an amazing kick for goal and drifts in and out of games. Still a better depth option than a 18-19 year old and that’s why we kept him, but I’d be surprised if he is still around after his next contract.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd love to know more about what offers Weid had in front of him, if any, and what currency the club thought he had come trade time

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd love to know more about what offers Weid had in front of him, if any, and what currency the club thought he had come trade time

My understanding is that he had nothing that we couldn’t or wouldn’t match. I’m not certain that he actually got anything formal in the end - everyone knew the value and knew Dees could match.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was very keen on JVR. We lacked key position depth and particularly up forward. Pour a bit more pressure on Weideman to who I think could still have a future at AFL level. JVR will have a few years to develop anyway and seems a very natural footballer.

Back