Draft Profile Jacob Weitering

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't even need to tank to potentially pick this guy :thumbsu:
Welcome to Carlton, Jacob Weitering.
Seriously, with the TAC Finals going on, Weitering has been one of the best players in his games. That sort of performance, as well as his games for Vic Country will guarantee his #1 pick. He looks the goods. God knows we need good kids.

So when is Ablett bailing then?

Well money talks.
If someone offered gaz more.
And the Suns a deal to good to be true. Aslong it was melbourne bound closer to his fiance.
Bon voyage!

As for Weitering come the end of his 2 year rookie deal every other club will be throwing 700k for 5 years at him.
So you'd want to hope his happy and Carlton are winning

Well money talks.
If someone offered gaz more.
And the Suns a deal to good to be true. Aslong it was melbourne bound closer to his fiance.
Bon voyage!

As for Weitering come the end of his 2 year rookie deal every other club will be throwing 700k for 5 years at him.
So you'd want to hope his happy and Carlton are winning
We will be able to offer him more then that, you will have to try harder

By age order.
Simpson (31) Jamison (29) Walker (29) Murphy (28) Thomas (28) Gibbs (26) Kreuzer (26) Tuohy (25) Buckley (22) Boekhorst (21) Menzel (21) Graham (21) Jaksch (21) Docherty (21) Cripps (20) Weitering (18)

Soldiers

Everitt (26) Bell (24) Curnow (25) Casboult (25) White (27)

Will tell me we have a good nucleus to build upon where with as little injuries as possible will be competitive

The list is lacking quality players going 10 deep.

Rice + Yarran pick + Henderson pick + 2nd round pick + PSD1 will hopefully bring us another five quality players

Then run 5 short in 2016.

where we can pick up another two quality youngsters + PSD + and a free agent hoping its a key forward

I predict it will turn around for the Blues fast.
You are being incredibly optimistic about the near-future will little focus on the many possible problems which are certain to occur at any club. First of all, I personally would discount Tuohy, Boekhorst, Graham as players to build around, and I feel Gibbs might want a fresh start at a new club. Combine that with the fact that the general talent of the 'nucleus' is a lot lower than most AFL clubs' and weak key forward depth and I estimate that at least 15 solid 'role players' or better will need to be acquired within the next 4 years.

Now that's all well and good, but the signs aren't great considering the talent level which Carlton has drafted in the past few years. Aside from Weitering and Rice (who may go to St Kilda), the odds of picking up at least 3 extra quality players is minimal with the picks you already have, and I don't think many free agents will be lured towards the Blues, honestly. The best option is to trade, offering up as much talent as you can afford to give up, whilst keeping the players absolutely integral to the rebuild (Cripps, Jamison, Kreuzer, Docherty, Weitering) and gaining as many high draft picks as possible for the next few years (trading future picks, if implemented, will help the Blues unquantifiably).

Although this will bring 3-4 years of frustration and little success, but it gives the Blues a chance to rebound into premiership contention after 5 or 6 years, which should definitely be the end goal. If Carlton keep going on thinking their list is strong enough to hold and that they can fix the holes without rebuilding, they are being completely delusional and have to realise that while the have put a rebuild off for long enough, without majorly fixing their list the best the Blues can be is a mid-tier team, rather than one pushing deep into finals. The formula which you have put forward will maybe speed up the Blues push into finals, but by the time any success can come your way, the veterans will be out the door and the draftees coming into their own will not have the talent required to get the Blues to the double chance.

I am sure the rest of you opinion is really thought out, but if you think Gibbs won't finish up a Carlton player then it's painfully obvious you have NFI about Carlton's list.

Are you serious that's all bla bla.

West Coast are grand finalists and finished last in 2010. We have a good group of young players just need to add another 5-7 more quickly.

Of course we need two bonafide key forwards like Kennedy + Darling from somewhere. Next year maybe but Weitering and hopefully Carlisle will straighten up the defence and this is a good start.

I am sure the rest of you opinion is really thought out, but if you think Gibbs won't finish up a Carlton player then it's painfully obvious you have NFI about Carlton's list.
In today's game there are very, very, very few people that you can openly talk about as 'definite one-club players'. I would love to go around telling people that players like Bont, Macrae and Dahlhaus will all stay at the Bulldogs for their whole careers, all signing new long-term contracts, but you never know now, given the audacity of clubs at the trade table. Maybe Gibbs will feel already refreshed and renewed after his injury break and ready for the 2016 season, who knows? I just feel, personally, that Gibbs would be better off at another club, given the inconsistency of his game (from year-to-year) reflecting constant changes in coaches. I just think he doesn't want to have to go through more of that. Under the right tutelage Gibbs can become one of the premier midfielders in the game, somewhere he is sitting just under, and this can happen at a new club.

(And don't say that Gibbs' output isn't determined by different coaching. Played a slightly different role nearly every year, and it affected his output quite a bit)

In today's game there are very, very, very few people that you can openly talk about as 'definite one-club players'. I would love to go around telling people that players like Bont, Macrae and Dahlhaus will all stay at the Bulldogs for their whole careers, all signing new long-term contracts, but you never know now, given the audacity of clubs at the trade table. Maybe Gibbs will feel already refreshed and renewed after his injury break and ready for the 2016 season, who knows? I just feel, personally, that Gibbs would be better off at another club, given the inconsistency of his game (from year-to-year) reflecting constant changes in coaches. I just think he doesn't want to have to go through more of that. Under the right tutelage Gibbs can become one of the premier midfielders in the game, somewhere he is sitting just under, and this can happen at a new club.

(And don't say that Gibbs' output isn't determined by different coaching. Played a slightly different role nearly every year, and it affected his output quite a bit)

What are you dribbling on about... Gibbs is 26 with 4 years left on his contract. If he was going to move he would have moved last season as a RFA; it has nothing to do with a new coach. No team would pay what they would have pay in a trade for him.

What are you dribbling on about... Gibbs is 26 with 4 years left on his contract. If he was going to move he would have moved last season as a RFA; it has nothing to do with a new coach. No team would pay what they would have pay in a trade for him.
True, didn't consider that, but it's just my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard not to have a good vibe about Weitering who turns 18 in November. Good footballer, good kick, a reputed leader and a 95 kg build without being a manchild and/or a freak athlete like Croad. Pretty rare to see a defender drafted with pick one, but Weitering could be the one to break the mould.

Even looks like Harry Taylor...

JacobWeitering2015AFLDraftCombinehM-d_YSlzrHl_zpssjjxz07q.jpg

After watching the combine show last night on FF, his kicking is very ordinary.
2015 Draft Profiles:
1. Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 23/11/1997
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Reminds me of: Ben Reid (2010/2011 key defence version)
Best position/role: Rebounding Centre Half Back.

Strengths:
Footskills – Weitering is an excellent kick for a key position player. He has a penetrating 60m kick on him and has the ability to consistently hit targets up the field over long or short distances. He demonstrates excellent vision finding good targets up the field and then will go on an execute the kick to a target kicking it out in front for his team mates to lead onto. His kicking efficiency also is excellent suggesting that he has the reliability to go with the hurt-factor.

Really interesting number 1 pick. Who was the last KPD to go top 3? Not someone who became a KPD, but someone who was drafted that high on the back of being a gun junior defender?

Darren Gaspar was the only #1 I can think of.... didn't really work out. Blues will hope Weitering is Harry Taylor, I think.

18dxmmt1e3zywjpg.jpg

Darren Gaspar was the only #1 I can think of.... didn't really work out. Blues will hope Weitering is Harry Taylor, I think.

18dxmmt1e3zywjpg.jpg
Gaspar was pretty handy, over 200 games and a 2 time All Australian. Also won a best and fairest in a side that made the prelims. He wasn't the best number 1 pick ever, but he'd be far from the worst.

2012, Lachie Plowman was taken at #3

Plowman following same path as David Mundy - drafted as key defender but developed into a flanker and later big bodied midfielder.

Took Mundy a few years to get his mojo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back