Jacques Kallis to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/703801.html

Looking at his stats, could reach 200 catches a feat Dravid has only managed among non-keepers and could possibly end his career with the second most amount of test runs (currently fourth and would need 204 to move to second) as well taking more test wickets than Craig McDermott. Phenomenal numbers but I personally found him lacking a little something.

Definite great of the game and it's sad that Father Time catches up on us all.

An absolute legend. As far as batting all rounders go, he and Gary Sobers are so far in front of whoever is number 3 it isn't funny. Of the guys averaging over 45 with the bat, Steve Waugh is the third leading wicket taker with 92 @ 37.

Probably third in terms of batting all rounders to them are Tony Greig (bat ave 40, bowling 141 wkts @ 32) or Aubrey Faulkner (played 1906-1924, bat ave 40, bowling 82 wkts at 26).

Wally Hammond is another you'd consider for third best batting all rounder.

But Whoever you consider number 3 Kallis and Sobers are miles in front of them.

After a rough year (averaging 17 for the year) it was always a possibility but was hoping we'd so him once more against our boys.

At least he has pulled the pin as soon as he started struggling (averaged 67, 51 and 79 in the three prior calendar years), unlike many of his contemporaries who just kept pushing and pushing to the very bitter end.

wut

Fantastic career. Underrated, somehow. But an absolute legend of the game.

I'm not doubting that if you re-read my post. Sensational player. Boring and arrogant, yes.

Not underrated at all, one of the best cricketers ever.

Great player, the best allrounder i have ever seen.

But gee he was painful to watch, so this news doesn't sadden me.

Bingo!

Arguably the greatest all rounder ever. He is possibly a more special player than Tendulkar, Warne and pretty much every other modern great.

Almost. Special player, but none better than Steve Waugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame that he couldn't make it to the Australian series, but an amazing career nonetheless.

You'd imagine that Faf moves permanently to four now. It's a question of whether they go for a pure batsman (probably Elgar, but maybe de Kock) or an all-rounder. They may start playing four pace bowlers and relying on Duminy for spin.

Probably the best all round cricketer I've seen, as a batsman I rate him only behind Lara and Ponting.

A great.

Tendulker?
I always rated Lara, Ponting and Kallis higher than him. I know I'm probably the only one to do so. I also didn't see a lot of Sachin pre 2007, so missed a lot of him in his prime.

A wonderful batsman and a good swing bowler and partnership breaker. SA have been remarkably lucky to have him in the side over the years, but now is probably the right time for him to go - he hasn't been at his best for a time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back