Free Agency Jade Gresham [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the better free agents still available this year (very thin pool this year, which will work to current free agents benefit)

Plays that high half forward role with stints in the middle

Still only 25 years old, 113 games

Could see clubs offer overs for him
He’s spent the vast majority of the last few years playing in the midfield, with stints more in the forward pocket, to rest. Wouldn’t have thought he’s played a lot in the high-HF role.

Actually think he's an absolute jet. Underrated player. Will attract offers.
Injuries have slowed him down in a big way the last 3 seasons.

Looked on the verge of big breakout years in the midfield in both 2020 and 2021, but then copped a 10 week knee injury during the 2020 lockdown period, then a back injury ended his season early, then burst out of the blocks in 2021, before rupturing his achilles early in R3, then last year copped a season-ending PCL injury, which required a reconstruction.

The big question is whether his body will ever allow him to really reach his full potential.

Unless he has a stellar year, he’s really going to get picked up on potential.
Not sure he’s a player that a club would pay overs for. But he may be keen to get to a contender for a change of scene.

Unless he has a stellar year, he’s really going to get picked up on potential.
Not sure he’s a player that a club would pay overs for. But he may be keen to get to a contender for a change of scene.
Player that averages 20+ touches 1 goal and 4+ clearances don't grow on trees. He's elite.

Mid forward but yeah agree. Hope Geelong have a sniff but there will be struggling clubs who can pay more.
Wouldn’t write yourselves off yet m8 .

Plenty of “cheap “ land down your way , where I’m sure the experienced GFC back office could facilitate a seemless transaction between a local seller and mr Gresham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s spent the vast majority of the last few years playing in the midfield, with stints more in the forward pocket, to rest. Wouldn’t have thought he’s played a lot in the high-HF role.
Seems to be playing more forward than mid this year

18 touches on the weekend 78% in the front half of the ground

Further to the above last week 87% touches in forward half

He’s definitely playing forward not mid

Well no s**t, he is at the moment, with most of our forward line sitting on the sidelines, but prior to this year he hadn’t played mostly forward since 2018, and had played far far more in the midfield than forward in that time.

And you wrote that comment in February, so it was presumably based on where he’d played in recent years, not where he was playing at training over summer.

And even when he does play forward, I’d say it’s generally more a role closer to goal than high-half-forward.

Well no s**t, he is at the moment, with most of our forward line sitting on the sidelines, but prior to this year he hadn’t played mostly forward since 2018, and had played far far more in the midfield than forward in that time.

And you wrote that comment in February, so it was presumably based on where he’d played in recent years, not where he was playing at training over summer.

And even when he does play forward, I’d say it’s generally more a role closer to goal than high-half-forward.
They don’t call me Nostradamus for nothing

Let the last 2 years he's played the majority of his time through the midfield

On the weekend he went to 8 of 20 centre bounces

I'd love to see him play a similar mix as he did on the weekend as he hasn't been spending near enough time forward under Ratten

For this to happen when need our young mids to stand up

JADE Gresham will wait until deeper into the season before focusing on his free agency call, with the star Saint set to be one of the most in demand players in the AFL.

Gresham will qualify as a restricted free agent this season as he comes to the end of the four-year deal he signed in 2019.

I hope he signs on. He’s a very important part of our team.

He’s a genuine goal kicker as a forward and a very good clearance player when he plays in the midfield.

He’s be a big loss.
I would like him to stay but I wouldn’t be devastated if he left as talented as he is he misses a lot of football being restricted means we would get a good return for him in a trade or compensation in a very strong draft

Back